German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   2 questions (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/194366-2-questions.html)

huntergreen 11-14-2012 12:13 PM

2 questions
 
do american show lines have more health problem than east and west german lines ? also, do all american show lines have the "frog leg look? tks all.

GsdLoverr729 11-14-2012 12:22 PM

I'm far from an expert, but IME they are no less healthy when they come from a reputable breeder.
They also don't all have the "frog legs." One of my 2 best friends has an ASL male and he's healthy/lacks frog legs. Most of the more well-bred GSD's I met at the shows recently (all American lines) also lacked frog legs. (:

qbchottu 11-14-2012 12:29 PM

Oh boy... :popcorn:


This question and subject has been beaten to death already...
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-line-gsd.html
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...confusion.html
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...questions.html
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...long-life.html
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ament-gsd.html
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...nders-off.html
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...man-lines.html

martemchik 11-14-2012 12:44 PM

Health problems are the same...the angulation in the legs/hips has nothing to do with HD.

The frog legs thing still goes on but has gotten much much better. You'll still see a bad one once in a while at a show but its not nearly as bad as it used to be. Breeders and judges have wised up (probably due to the public). If you look up the winner of the nationals, who was also the group winner at westminster you'll see he moves very nicely and that dog is considered the best ASL dog in the country right now.

Elaine 11-14-2012 02:01 PM

Showlines in my area are all closely related to frogs. They are so hard to watch.

I do believe that non american dogs have fewer health problems, but all lines can have issues. Best bet is to find a reputable breeder.

selzer 11-14-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 2629266)
do american show lines have more health problem than east and west german lines ? also, do all american show lines have the "frog leg look? tks all.

Ya know what, this is an irritable post designed to put down GSDs. I am into WGSLs, but it really doesn't matter. When you don't capitalize a proper noun, like American or German, that is a dig.

Then when you talk about "frog legs" on a site for GSDs, well, it is just a way to say, "Look at me. I have a better dog than those UGLY dogs." It usually indicates that the poster feels bad about themselves or their dog, so they want to put other dogs down so that they feel better about themselves or their own. At least MY dog doesn't look like that.

And I am appalled that other members played into it, I suppose at least one feels pretty self-conscience/bad about herself or her dogs too.

Jax08 11-14-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selzer (Post 2629525)
Ya know what, this is an irritable post designed to put down GSDs. I am into WGSLs, but it really doesn't matter. When you don't capitalize a proper noun, like American or German, that is a dig.

Then when you talk about "frog legs" on a site for GSDs, well, it is just a way to say, "Look at me. I have a better dog than those UGLY dogs." It usually indicates that the poster feels bad about themselves or their dog, so they want to put other dogs down so that they feel better about themselves or their own. At least MY dog doesn't look like that.

And I am appalled that other members played into it, I suppose at least one feels pretty self-conscience/bad about herself or her dogs too.

Actually....I believe he's asking because he's looking for a breeder to get a new puppy. Sometimes, a question is just a question because the person doesn't know the answer.

Jax08 11-14-2012 05:04 PM

hunter - PM Andaka. There is another person on there with beautiful American Showline dogs. Fairy something. Can't think of her name but think "fairy" is in there somewhere.

selzer 11-14-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 2629539)
Actually....I believe he's asking because he's looking for a breeder to get a new puppy. Sometimes, a question is just a question because the person doesn't know the answer.

Look, we have people on this site that have ALL types of GSDs. There are plenty of ways to ask about the angulation in the various lines without being rude. Anyone with half a brain would know they were going to tick some of the people off with statements like that. Frog legs, hump backs, coyotes -- those are descriptions that will get people's dander up, and with good reason. It is just so unnecessary.

Good_Karma 11-14-2012 05:29 PM

I have a three and half year old ASL GSD. He has not had any health problems, his hips and elbows are perfect, he eats well, poops well, and has a gorgeous coat.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/a...y/P1070753.jpg

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/a...y/P1070219.jpg

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/a...y/P1040550.jpg

It's never a good idea to make broad generalizations about anything.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2