pack theory versus timid scavengers - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 01:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

well the canine genome study does indicate that the wolf is the sole source of our domestic dogs ancestory and that the origin was probably the grey wolf of the mid - east (craddle of civilization) .
I saw an entire program on pbs or somesuch which examined the Iranian (red) (gray) wolf -- I am telling you it could have been a red sable GSD on the screen ! These are not like the heavier set , arctic or north american wolf .
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
I saw an entire program on pbs or somesuch which examined the Iranian (red) (gray) wolf -- I am telling you it could have been a red sable GSD on the screen !
I wonder if the color has any significance? Think about it - it's always the red squirrels that people seem to dislike the most, because they're the ones chewing through screens at the cottage or getting into peoples' sheds. And I'm not even going to start about what they say about redheads, lol! But I've always liked the midden heap theory. Maybe they did evolve that way because they were bolder than all the rest, not timid at all, but the opposite.
Blanketback is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 12:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

on one of the history channels, there was a show about domesticating minks, the ones that became more dog like actually changed in appearance. some might conclude that the early wolves that came closer to early man received more scraps of food, ate better and became less fearful. these then bred with similar wolves and began to change into dogs. some have also theorized that these early dogs acted as a warning system alerting to dangers in the dark, large animals and other threats. the relationship became symbiotic allowing both early man and dog to survive easier. s for pack or scavenger? i would think elements of both.

Last edited by huntergreen; 11-15-2012 at 12:56 AM.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

from what I read the Iranian wolf was more docile, lived around human communities and " team at UCLA has been working on wolf genomes. Last year, UCLA researchers found that the Middle Eastern wolf populations were a greater source for diversity in domestic dog genes than any other wolf population– which suggested that dogs were first domesticated in the Middle East. "
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I find this interesting re: the Iranian Wolf. I spent 6 months in Iraq and those little red wolves lived among us. They were timid but also very tame, accepting food from us. We were warned not to feed them as they were so tame but not domestic. They almost looked like coyote/GSD crosses.

URO3, UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC (1/20/03)
UAG1,URO3, UCD Xtra!Xtra! V. TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH (6/4/07)
UAG1 Tidmore's Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,RN,CGC, (4/4/12)

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.