Dutch Shepherd??? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #41 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickyb View Post
I also shouldve said in my post it all depends on the dog. My neighbor has two male intact Mali's, he has MS and is bound to a wheelchair! Granted he works these dogs everyday, and that's why they are so well behaved. All I wanted to include in this topic is that A LOT of DS's are nut's! Not ALL of them are though which is why some of them make awesome pets, but if you get a bad apple (IE one that walks all over you) your in for a nightmare.

Nickyb - what is your experience with Dutchie's? Have you owned them? Just been around them? How many have you been around/owned?

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #42 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I read a few of the replies and can honestly say I am surprised that no one addressed the OP's situation, or rather, the fact that we know nothing of it.

All we know is that she has a GSD who is under a year old, and that recently there was an incident of the GSD "freaking out" when a child ran up to her and jumped her.

No one has said that before you go adding another dog of any kind, let alone a very, very high drive one, it is best to concentrate on training the one you have for a couple of years.

It is irrelevant in answer to the original question if the Dutch Shepherd is "crazy" or not.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #43 (permalink)
Banned

Well I mentioned that in another thread, because in this thread they don't mention that much at all, and it was unclear from this thread they were having issues w/the 9mo. old (that the dog "freaked out" over the toddler)
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #44 (permalink)
Master Member

I have never owned one. My trainer has one and he is an AWESOME DOG. I've spent a bit of time with the local clubs and trainers and there are many "DS's" around. Alot of the clubs have PB Mali's (neighbor has 2 intact males) GSD's and DS's. I've probably seen about 10-15 within the past 2 years so I am basing my thoughts off of that.
I feel like this is an attack waiting to happen so I want to be clear that my trainer, Steve's, DS is awesome, well behaved, calm, and trustworthy. The majority of other's I have seen have just been basket cases and need good trainers behind them, or shall I say in front of them. I am NOT saying they were all like this, there were a few that I wanted to take home.

Zoey- Adopted Belgian Malinois on 4/29/12
Princess- WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11 Forever would've been to short...
Nickyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #45 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
I read a few of the replies and can honestly say I am surprised that no one addressed the OP's situation, or rather, the fact that we know nothing of it.

All we know is that she has a GSD who is under a year old, and that recently there was an incident of the GSD "freaking out" when a child ran up to her and jumped her.

No one has said that before you go adding another dog of any kind, let alone a very, very high drive one, it is best to concentrate on training the one you have for a couple of years.

It is irrelevant in answer to the original question if the Dutch Shepherd is "crazy" or not.
I kind of did, but ok. LOL I do agree, we went off on a tangent

ETA: where did she say her GSD freaked out? I don't see it, at least not in this thread, so you have to be fair. If it was mentioned in another thread, maybe not everyone read that. Also the OP did ask "but i guess im mainly just wondering if there a huge difference between the GSD's ive had and this "DS" that i may possibly end up rescuing"

Last edited by blackshep; 11-13-2012 at 11:53 AM.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I have never owned one. My trainer has one and he is an AWESOME DOG. I've spent a bit of time with the local clubs and trainers and there are many "DS's" around. Alot of the clubs have PB Mali's (neighbor has 2 intact males) GSD's and DS's. I've probably seen about 10-15 within the past 2 years so I am basing my thoughts off of that.
I feel like this is an attack waiting to happen so I want to be clear that my trainer, Steve's, DS is awesome, well behaved, calm, and trustworthy. The majority of other's I have seen have just been basket cases and need good trainers behind them, or shall I say in front of them. I am NOT saying they were all like this, there were a few that I wanted to take home.
I'm not attacking you nor have I ever so not sure why you would have that impression. I'm simply asking what your experience is that you are basing such strong opinions on.

In fact, many people on this thread seem to have really strong opinions and I think only one person that responded actually owns a Dutch Shepherd which she got from out of the country.

And with the few Dutch Shepherds in the US, I would really wonder whether this dog in question is even a DS or a mix that has a brindled breed in it somewhere, thus my suggestion to meet the dog in question.

Last edited by Jax08; 11-13-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #47 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
I kind of did, but ok. LOL I do agree, we went off on a tangent

ETA: where did she say her GSD freaked out? I don't see it, at least not in this thread, so you have to be fair. If it was mentioned in another thread, maybe not everyone read that. Also the OP did ask "but i guess im mainly just wondering if there a huge difference between the GSD's ive had and this "DS" that i may possibly end up rescuing"
Yep, you did.
I went back and looked and saw your very gracious and indirect response.

Here is what you asked to see: I do try and look at the OP's other posts before I do reply to a question. My response varies depending on what the situation is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratm_93 View Post
so i have a 9month old female whos named Zoey, and were walking down the street our normal routine for the end of the day, we round our last corner and out of NO WEAR comes this little girl (she couldn't have been 4) and her mom i stop walking so they can cross in front of us so I'm not dragging Zoey down the street, they pass then all of a sudden the little girl turns around a bolts for zoey, Zoey being a puppy starts jumping around like the puppy she is. and I'm just standing there completely shocked at what im seeing. anyways the little girl reaches Zoey and tries to mount her like a FREAKING pony. I'm irritated at this point, Zoeys freaking out and the mother of the girl just turns and says and i quote "AWWW, HOW CUTE" so zoey puts the little girl to the ground, not aggressively or anything just to stop this little from climbing on her back. and this women FLIPS OUT!!! so were yelling at each other in the middle of the street the little girls crying which pisses the mom off even more. and i just cant help but think what if that little girl ran up to a dog that was actually aggressive and the dog bit her. i mean COME ON people teach your kids not to just run up to any dog strange or not.

Last edited by Sunflowers; 11-13-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master Member

Never said you did, just seemed like I was being set up and I was wrong for thinking that way lol Guess I just went into defensive mode, I know before I made a comment on here and a few people went all crazy on me..... Sorry for making it seem like you were about to, didn't want to have any impression or arguments, just my thoughts.

I think the strong opinions are based on the fact that the majority of "DS's" you will find on petfinder are bred poorly.

I think the main thing we need to focus on is why the OP wants a DS. My main concern is they want one because it looks "cool". DS are bred to work, simple as that. I just dont want to OP to adopt/rescue/buy a puppy DS for it to end up in a shelter or rescue.

Zoey- Adopted Belgian Malinois on 4/29/12
Princess- WGSD 3/15/01-9/21/11 Forever would've been to short...
Nickyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #49 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Never said you did, just seemed like I was being set up and I was wrong for thinking that way lol Guess I just went into defensive mode, I know before I made a comment on here and a few people went all crazy on me..... Sorry for making it seem like you were about to, didn't want to have any impression or arguments, just my thoughts.
It's all good. I rarely "set" anyone up...not that I haven't but I rarely do. Most of the time I'm just asking a question because I don't know the answer.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #50 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:

I think the main thing we need to focus on is why the OP wants a DS. My main concern is they want one because it looks "cool". DS are bred to work, simple as that. I just dont want to OP to adopt/rescue/buy a puppy DS for it to end up in a shelter or rescue.

The only thing she said is because "you can't have just one. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratm_93 View Post
So my husband and i have an 8month old black/tan female GSD. and in the next 6 months or so were thinking about getting another one (you cant have just one you know. lol) a couple years ago i fell in LOVE with the White GSD, and we've been looking into breeders in florida. we have talked to a couple of non-WGSD breeders and one of them have told us that WGSDs get a bad skin condition because of the almost constant heat in florida. And i guess I'm just wondering if theres any truth to this, I've looked online and haven't found any truth to it but i figured one or two of you could shed a little light on the fact.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.