Dutch Shepherd??? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have only met one Dutch Shepherd and she was a cool dog. She was very controlled and actively training in Schutzhund. I have met far more nervy and completely unstable Malinois than I have GSD's unfortunately. I know the owners of the dogs and I know that they put quite a bit of work into trying to teach them some control, but those dogs are loose canons. I have met a couple nice ones too. Just like with any breed, there's going to be the good and the bad.

My personal opinion is that I definitely wouldn't suggest that anyone get a Mal or a Dutch Shepherd for anything other than a working or active training.
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!

http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I've met a few at training. Most are police K9s. Awesome working dogs, but there's no such thing as a home life for these dogs. They are hard wired to work work work work work. If you are not going to be working them (seriously working them, not just a few days a week) and can't keep up with a high drive, high energy dog..... I wouldn't. Not an easy breed.

However, if you ARE looking for a working dog... the ones I've seen are killer on the field! Obedience is insanely fast and accurate, protection is spot on, hard hitting, and tight grip! Those dogs FLY!!! None of them that I met were weak nerved (I can see that being a problem though, just like some Malis can be)... but, they test you a lot as a handler. We had one that wouldn't out on the bite, another that was difficult to control during bite work (didn't listen, and wanted to do his own work.. no recall, ignored commands)... and some that just needed good reminders of what they were supposed to do. Hard dogs!! Tracking is very nice on these dogs too. Their article and building searches were fast and clean. I've really seen and heard a lot of great things about them... but, I've never owned one. It is a breed on my list for working dogs however... so maybe some day!
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
TrickyShepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Honestly, there is such a huge misconception about these dogs on this forum, it's not even funny.

Maybe it is better if some of you never get one.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Yes, they are serious working dogs but they are also very affectionate dogs that bound themselves to you, will lay on your lap, snuggle their head right next to your face and lay with you on the couch for hours and hours and hours.

They want your full attention, they want your affection, they want to be there for YOU a 150%.
Well instead of saying condescending statements, then maybe explain why they wouldn't work in a multi-dog household not prepared for that kind of "bonding"...like you do above.

Quote:
Honestly, there is such a huge misconception about these dogs on this forum, it's not even funny.

Maybe it is better if some of you never get one.
I do think that some breeds (and possibly dogs within those breeds) are best left to experienced owners, not owners who have a 9mo. old puppy already and are probably not be ready for an intense dog like a Dutch Shepherd.

At some point you have to wonder, why are there so many of these awesome dogs in rescue, and poor breeding/inexperienced owners would be top of my list if I were to guess.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 03:32 AM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD

Ya know, it's funny because back when I originally started my search for a dog everyone told me NOT to get a German Shepherd, that I couldn't handle a German Shepherd...(All these were people over the internet of course) They made them out to be monsters that would just be far too much and that they're "not for the average dog owner". Needless to say, I ended up with Chance who was a German Shepherd/Kelpie mix. (And Kelpies are comparable to Border Collies) Best dog I ever owned!! Sure, he took work but it was completely worth it. (And I'd never been in the best shape of my life LOL!!) He has since past far too early and I now have a 7 month old Czech/West German WORKING LINE German Shepherd puppy....Again everyone tried to scare me off of a working line dog saying they're "not for the average dog owner" and talking about how they HAVE to be worked...She too is a happy and healthy house pet. She's a lot of dog but with proper exercise and training she is a well behaved dog and I have no doubt she'll turn into just as good of an adult dog as Chance was.

I guess my point being, I think many breeds are put out as monsters with crazy drive (And no doubt it's true for many that they are hard to handle) but if as many people couldn't handle them as folks make it out to be, I honestly think the breeds would go extinct because most people DON'T work their dogs in sport, but that doesn't mean the dog can't be a running partner or enjoy other activities with their human to get out that energy.
ChancetheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 03:44 AM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
At some point you have to wonder, why are there so many of these awesome dogs in rescue, and poor breeding/inexperienced owners would be top of my list if I were to guess.
There are 138 Dutch Shepherds on Petfinder.
There are 237 Malinios on Petfinder.
...These two "hard" breeds total 375 dogs.

On the other hand:

There are 3,010 Shih Tzu's on Petfinder.
There are *18,565* Chihuahuas on Petfinder.

.....I don't think it's a matter of how "hard" the breed is for the reason so many dogs are in rescue as much as it is an issue of people not taking on their dogs for life and people breeding far too many. Even if they were laid back couch potatoes I'm sure just as many (If not more) would still be in shelters and rescue groups.
ChancetheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Well instead of saying condescending statements, then maybe explain why they wouldn't work in a multi-dog household not prepared for that kind of "bonding"...like you do above.
They do work perfectly in a multi dog household.

As a matter of fact, there are plenty of people I know back in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, that have MULTIPLE Malinois in the very same house without crates or kennels.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #28 (permalink)

I think it boils down to the individual dog and owner as to ANY breed working in a multi dog household.

I have met malinois I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for, and I have met malinois that I would have no problem taking home. Same with dutchies, same with german shepherds, etc.

There is no right or wrong answer to the "multi dog" question.

I do think anyone wanting to get any of these breeds of dogs, needs to educate themselves, find a breeder who knows the in's and outs of the breed and can match a puppy to their lifestyle,expectations and what they don't want to live with. And then you need to be an owner who follows thru.

If the above isn't done, well you could end up posting in the "I can't handle my dog/he's aggressive" forums like so many do.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I think it boils down to the individual dog and owner as to ANY breed working in a multi dog household.

I have met malinois I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for, and I have met malinois that I would have no problem taking home. Same with dutchies, same with german shepherds, etc.

There is no right or wrong answer to the "multi dog" question.

I do think anyone wanting to get any of these breeds of dogs, needs to educate themselves, find a breeder who knows the in's and outs of the breed and can match a puppy to their lifestyle,expectations and what they don't want to live with. And then you need to be an owner who follows thru.

If the above isn't done, well you could end up posting in the "I can't handle my dog/he's aggressive" forums like so many do.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #30 (permalink)

your welcome It is my words of wisdom for the day

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.