German Shepherds Forum banner

Worst injury caused by your dog?

5K views 49 replies 42 participants last post by  Sarah~ 
#1 ·
I was just playing tug with rogue and went to offer her a different piece so she could fix her bite and she missed and bit my thumb. Her canine sliced along my nail bed and then She took a little chunk off the top. Ouch. Luckily it didn't hurt right away so I didn't scare her when it happened. (We're doing bite work, so it's important tug is all fun fun fun right now) hurts like a you know what now. I have a bunch of scabs and scars on my hands and wrists from the puppy teeth but this is the worst one yet.

What about you?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

#2 ·
I think the worst Koda has ever done to me was a perfect puncture-wound clump that showed the outline of the front half of her muzzle. There was a large, black bruise around the wounds for a long time...
It was on my leg, and a total accident. When she saw she bit me and not her toy she was MORTIFIED. :rolleyes:

#4 ·
When I first got my GSD she didn't know what being a dog was. The first time I gave her a raw bone she had NO IDEA what it was. I was holding it for her, and suddenly she realized what it was, and accidentally 'bit' me. The cut was about --- big. No biggie, there's a thread somewhere about it I started :) haha

#9 ·
Mine are both head butts as well. I was sleeping with Bunny and she had her head under my chin. She sneezed and nailed me splitting my lip. My husband woke up to me crying with blood running down my chin.

The second time I was sitting on the bed, bent over a little while putting on my shoe. Jazz was chasing Bunny and as she jumped on the bed she head butted me in my forehead. That was extremely painful and I really thought I was going to pass out but fortunately did not. I had a nasty blue goose egg for a bit.

#10 ·
While practicing restrained recalls with Discoe, we tangled each other up and I smashed one of my eyeteeth into her skull and knocked it loose. It hurt for about a month and a half, and I had to keep an eye on the tooth to make sure it didn't die and would have to be removed. I also had to be careful of what I ate until it stiffened back up into the gum. I'm out of the woods now and can eat what I want with no problem, but my bite has changed. I think it reset further forward than it had originally been.

#12 ·
I try to block it all from my memory, but tonight Karlo tagged my hand when I went to throw the chuck-it flying squirrel...he didn't puncture, but hit my hand really hard....goose egg and bruise on the bone. Wrong timing and he thought it was tug time, not fetch(new toy).
The nose bumps are the worst!
My ankle is still sore from last May when my ankle twisted into a woodchuck hole while I was running backwards(trying to get K to go into the pond)
I now have a fear of running backwards.

#16 ·
@jocoyn can we hear how it happened?
I was hiding for her dog who was on a tracking line. Dog found me and I was teasing up the dog with the ball then threw it.

Did not realize the line was wrapped around leg. Dog took off for ball.

leg shot out from under me and I fell in an awkward sort of way. Got in friend's truck (we were in a field and were going to go to the house and ice it) and I said "I'm feeling kind of queasy" and turned a bit gray. She drove me to ER. The had me in surgery within 2 hours.

---------

My dog, Grim has given me several nosebleeds, both shins have bone spurs, and bit through one toy into hand...all accidents.

Beau regripped on a toy and tore open the top of my hand...accident.

#14 ·
Just two weeks ago I came home from work and let the GSD out as normal. Usually when we go out(she's on a leash) she goes to the bathroom and runs around in circles in play mode. Well this time when she ran in back of me I didn't turn fast enough to complete the circle and I landed on my butt. I knew I was going down and going down hard. I called my son, who found me sitting on the ground, still holding onto the dog, who was now next to me wondering why I was on the ground. My first thought when I realized I was going down was...I hope there is no poop in this spot:D Needless to say I was sore for about 2-3 days, but no major injuries, just lots of pain.

#15 ·
Xerxes had a habit of running up to people barking when they are close to his yard. I had him out at 7 in the morning and he saw a neighbor coming home who works nights. ( This guy knows Xerx runs up barking and then wags his tail. ) It was pitch black outside and, like an idiot, I go race after him in the dark and trip over a stump. My tendons knotted up and I'm laying there. Xerx comes up and licks me in the face. LOL BTW hes on a leash ever since.

#17 ·
Ozzy didn't actually cause it, but I was doing my hair one morning (I sit in the sink when I get ready) and Ozzy came in to say hi.
I turned to pet him and fell backwards off the counter and landed on my head. He got out of the way, though. Haha.

#18 ·
I also got a head butt, from my pit though. I bent down to get his Ball as he jumped up. His head his huge and so hard. Busted open my lip. A month before my wedding!! My husband found me in the bathroom crying and asked if it hurt. I started sobbing "no but what if I still have it in the wedding pictures?" Lol it healed up fine. But I do have a scar now.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

#20 ·
My worst injury happened a few months ago - a head butt that resulted in a broken front tooth. It wasn't the most physically painful injury I've ever gotten from playing with my dogs, but it was mentally painful because every other time I've ended up with a fat lip but now I have to admit that I'm getting old, lol.

#21 ·
Lola is only a bout 3.5 months but the other day I was lying on the floor attempting to snuggle with her when she decided it was play time.
She grabbed me by the hair and yanked hard.

She ended up leaving a bloody gash on the back of my head too.. ouch

#23 ·
How NOT to break up a dog fight :D

I remember this well... December 2001 around 1 am in the morning... I hear my name being screamed and half asleep I jump up out of bed. I am directed by my mother who is hysterical that Shadow & Tori were fighting... Me still in a daze hear Shadow screaming and Tori in a defensive frenzy. I saw blood flying out of Shadow and this is where I went wrong still in a half asleep daze to break up the fight... Keep in mind I have no jacket or shoes on just socks...

Shadow is on the left and Tori is on the right.

I tripped and covered Shadow not realizing Tori was in a real defensive fight frenzy. Tori had no clue I was there she was so worked up. In less than a minute I got bit three times and I hit Tori in her nose to snap her out of it. She let out a yelp and came to her senses and immediately came up to me with her head down ears back licking me. This behavior was unusual for Tori she had never done anything like this before... We get the dogs and head to Dover, DE for the 24 hr vet since ours was closed. I felt fine just a little blood on my arm, left & right ankle no biggie Shadow was more important due to her puncture wounds....

We go to the vet Shadow gets her stitches and Tori was perfectly fine. We go drop them off at home and I head to the er. It was not a busy night and I was taken back pretty quickly. So I had a deep laceration on my left arm from bite 1 where a giant Tori fang got me. No stitches needed the nurse cleaned it up and it did leave a nasty scar. I take my sneakers off and my right shoe was a bit bloody. Once the heavy black sock came off I had 4 deep lacerations from bite 2. I take my left sneaker off the shoe was full of blood. I take the sock off deep lacerations on my ankle and a huge chunk of my heel plopped on the er floor... Don't worry it grew back but that was a bloody mess and yes I learned me a lesson on how NOT to break up a dog fight when half asleep in a daze at 1 am in the morning with no shoes on! :D

#25 ·
My skin is pretty thin from all the pred I've had to take over the years so I have a couple of nasty scars from a dog pawing at me, which really look a lot worse than they felt. I also got head butted once and broke a tooth. I was pregnant with my first kid at the time and they had to fix it without using any medicine which sucked!

#26 ·
I confess I'm kinda chuckling. These are terrible stories, my goodness, but looking back on my own experiences with Spirit ... I have to say I have not had another dog that brought so much injury!!

The worst for me was when I was playing soccer with the Jolly Egg Ball -- without shoes :rolleyes: I didn't judge my kick just right and Spirit got a tooth under the nail of my big toe. Took out a chunk of skin and lifted half my nail.

I'm not getting injured quite so much anymore, I take that as one of the subtler signs that Spirit is growing up. He's almost 8 months now. I survived :)

#27 ·
Was giving Chief a pig ear I made him sit then handed him the treat he grabbed the whole thing plus my finger next to my pinky. It hurt so bad I yelled ahhhhhh ouch he immediately let go and dropped the treat. I had like 3 punctures in my finger and it bruised immediately. He felt bad he started licking my finger then wouldn't even eat his treat.

#28 ·
Sage was chasing Carly the other day, and plowed right into my shin (running full out). I swear I thought she had broken my leg!

#29 ·
I was working on quick retrieves and close fronts with Gryffon by holding a tug under my chin to lure him in close and to get him to release the dumbbell fast. Then I would drop the tug for him to catch.

He really liked this game (it involved a tug!) and got a bit over excited at one point and jumped up to grab the tug before it was released and his canine caught and split my upper lip. It bled profusely and took weeks to heal! Fortunately I have the type of skin that scars minimally, because I really wasn't too keen on having a permanent scar right there.

#30 ·
Boy had his cheek bone cracked by the GSD at the food supply shop. They were playing next to me- boy bent down, Zeus came up and their heads collided. Boy had a huge bruise, a scratch and the crack- all in time for next day's school photos. I thought the shop owner would die of horror, but it was all just a timing accident. Boy did not even cry- he kept right on tossing the toy...only the swelling and subsequent xray showed the true damage. Those 2 still have a good relationship so that's all that really matters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.