Help me Out! Considering Taking up Training! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Help me Out! Considering Taking up Training!

I have been getting almost ZERO hours at work lately, so I was considering taking up dog training.

BUT I have NO idea where to start. I know I want to stick to basics, like basic obedience and manners. (No aggressive dogs or other serious issues).

I'm not sure how much to charge, if I need to do consultations beforehand, etc.

Any tips anyone could give me would be AWESOME. I really have no idea where to start, so ANY advice would be useful!
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Most trainers around here charge about $45 hr for in home training, I've seen some as high as $60. You might check out your local obedience training club, take a class and go from there. Our club has a class to train the trainers and it's free
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

There are some trainers who will let you shadow them so that you can learn from them.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Do the shadow thing/mentor thing. There are too many pick up the leash trainers out there that train their own dogs and voila! They are a dog trainer!

This will also give you more of a leg up on other trainers, as well as sound experience.
KK1 Griff v Tajgetosz SCH3,IPO3(BHOT) FCI & WUSV 2013
Smithie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think a good trainer who gets paid needs to know what they are doing and while immediate income might not be that great, I agree that finding a mentor is an excellent way to start. Busy trainers look for good help. In that capacity, you can avoid alot of mistakes and have more successes. Just my opinion.

"BigDogSolo"
Maja's Muse
Bigdogsolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konotashi View Post
I have been getting almost ZERO hours at work lately, so I was considering taking up dog training.

BUT I have NO idea where to start. I know I want to stick to basics, like basic obedience and manners. (No aggressive dogs or other serious issues).

I'm not sure how much to charge, if I need to do consultations beforehand, etc.

Any tips anyone could give me would be AWESOME. I really have no idea where to start, so ANY advice would be useful!

Doesn't sound like great qualifications to become a personal dog trainer - ????

Maybe the best course to learn how to be a dog trainer would be to work as an apprentice with a proven pro????
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I mean I have no idea where to start as far as advertising, charging, etc. goes.
I know someone who is an EXCELLENT trainer I can get some advice from, but I want to stick with basic obedience, manners, etc. No aggressive dogs, for the fact I don't really have any experience working with them and I wouldn't want to make the dog worse than when we started.

The main thing I'm wondering os what a good hourly charge would be. I was thinking maybe $30? My grandma hired a dog trainer that charged $80 an hour, but I definitely wouldn't go that high. Not starting, anyway.

And it's not just Ozzy I'm good with. I've helped several friends out with their dogs with good success.
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

i am sure rates vary by location. ie: trainer in manhatten will charge a lot more than in a small rural town in anywhere usa. training your own dog and helping some friends does not a trainer make. if you do a quick search, you will see there are quite a few few "schools" that will teach you.
huntergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 10:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

op, this may sound crazy, but an unemployed couple near me have become pooper scoopers. bout some bags and shovels, used small truck and go out to peoples homes and clean up dog poop. they seem to be doing quite well.
huntergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

What qualifications do you have to be a dog trainer. The trainers I work with have ALL taken dogs to high level titles whether its Obedience, Agility, Tracking, etc. I wouldn't dream of using a trainer that didn't have alot of experience working with dogs and achieving milestones with them. Just like I look for a reputable breeder, I also look for a reputable trainer.
Odin24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.