German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Help me Out! Considering Taking up Training! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/194124-help-me-out-considering-taking-up-training.html)

Konotashi 11-10-2012 02:04 PM

Help me Out! Considering Taking up Training!

I have been getting almost ZERO hours at work lately, so I was considering taking up dog training.

BUT I have NO idea where to start. I know I want to stick to basics, like basic obedience and manners. (No aggressive dogs or other serious issues).

I'm not sure how much to charge, if I need to do consultations beforehand, etc.

Any tips anyone could give me would be AWESOME. I really have no idea where to start, so ANY advice would be useful! :)

Stosh 11-10-2012 02:13 PM

Most trainers around here charge about $45 hr for in home training, I've seen some as high as $60. You might check out your local obedience training club, take a class and go from there. Our club has a class to train the trainers and it's free

Gharrissc 11-10-2012 05:18 PM

There are some trainers who will let you shadow them so that you can learn from them.

Smithie86 11-10-2012 05:56 PM

Do the shadow thing/mentor thing. There are too many pick up the leash trainers out there that train their own dogs and voila! They are a dog trainer!

This will also give you more of a leg up on other trainers, as well as sound experience.

Bigdogsolo 11-10-2012 06:03 PM

I think a good trainer who gets paid needs to know what they are doing and while immediate income might not be that great, I agree that finding a mentor is an excellent way to start. Busy trainers look for good help. In that capacity, you can avoid alot of mistakes and have more successes. Just my opinion.

codmaster 11-10-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konotashi (Post 2626128)
I have been getting almost ZERO hours at work lately, so I was considering taking up dog training.

BUT I have NO idea where to start. I know I want to stick to basics, like basic obedience and manners. (No aggressive dogs or other serious issues).

I'm not sure how much to charge, if I need to do consultations beforehand, etc.

Any tips anyone could give me would be AWESOME. I really have no idea where to start, so ANY advice would be useful! :)

Doesn't sound like great qualifications to become a personal dog trainer - ????

Maybe the best course to learn how to be a dog trainer would be to work as an apprentice with a proven pro????

Konotashi 11-10-2012 07:34 PM

I mean I have no idea where to start as far as advertising, charging, etc. goes.
I know someone who is an EXCELLENT trainer I can get some advice from, but I want to stick with basic obedience, manners, etc. No aggressive dogs, for the fact I don't really have any experience working with them and I wouldn't want to make the dog worse than when we started.

The main thing I'm wondering os what a good hourly charge would be. I was thinking maybe $30? My grandma hired a dog trainer that charged $80 an hour, but I definitely wouldn't go that high. Not starting, anyway.

And it's not just Ozzy I'm good with. I've helped several friends out with their dogs with good success.

huntergreen 11-10-2012 10:50 PM

i am sure rates vary by location. ie: trainer in manhatten will charge a lot more than in a small rural town in anywhere usa. training your own dog and helping some friends does not a trainer make. if you do a quick search, you will see there are quite a few few "schools" that will teach you.

huntergreen 11-10-2012 10:53 PM

op, this may sound crazy, but an unemployed couple near me have become pooper scoopers. bout some bags and shovels, used small truck and go out to peoples homes and clean up dog poop. they seem to be doing quite well.

Odin24 11-11-2012 08:43 AM

What qualifications do you have to be a dog trainer. The trainers I work with have ALL taken dogs to high level titles whether its Obedience, Agility, Tracking, etc. I wouldn't dream of using a trainer that didn't have alot of experience working with dogs and achieving milestones with them. Just like I look for a reputable breeder, I also look for a reputable trainer.