Help me Out! Considering Taking up Training! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin24 View Post
What qualifications do you have to be a dog trainer. The trainers I work with have ALL taken dogs to high level titles whether its Obedience, Agility, Tracking, etc. I wouldn't dream of using a trainer that didn't have alot of experience working with dogs and achieving milestones with them. Just like I look for a reputable breeder, I also look for a reputable trainer.
This is huge...I was thinking about doing the same thing when I could but I feel bad telling people I'm a trainer when all I've done is gotten a CD on my dog. I know most people don't know what a CD, CDX, UD, or many of the other titles are, but I feel like it gives you something to tell them about or send them to youtube to show them what it is and show that you do know what you're doing. Even if you're just teaching pets...its just something I'd like to see before I start paying 30 or more dollars per hour for training.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 05:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ozzy has his FD and FDX.... He'd have more titles if I could afford to take him to more tournaments.
I've been helping Mom out with Gracie, and I'm hoping that she'll also at least get her FD in a few months.
I've also offered to train any friend's or family's dogs for just a gas fee, that way I can get more experience with dogs I don't live with, as well as working with their people. Not to mention, get a few references.

It's hard for me to get experience, as far as titling dogs goes. At least right now it is. I have no money and can hardly afford to title my own dog at the moment.

On a side note, my boss asked me if I was okay with the hours I've been getting (I've been getting less than 18 hours avg. for a few months now) and I told him I'd like to have more hours. I asked if it'd be possible for him to schedule me as close to 40 as he can, and he almost shot through the roof, ecstatic. I guess I wasn't the only one not happy with me working so little!

That being said, now that I'll be working more, I may not have time for this. At least not seriously. For the time being, I can go to friends' houses and work with their dogs to get my foot in the door and have a few people vouch for me. (And see if I even like it - I don't imagine I wouldn't, though!)

I was also considering doing pet photography, but I won't even think about that until I can get the camera I want. That will also require a lot more experience and doing a bunch of freebies for the same reasons above.
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
op, this may sound crazy, but an unemployed couple near me have become pooper scoopers. bout some bags and shovels, used small truck and go out to peoples homes and clean up dog poop. they seem to be doing quite well.

THIS! Anyone wanting to do this kind of work is an Angel in my mind. I pay to have dog poop removed from my lawn, the company we use for big spring and winter clean-up needs to be booked a month in advance, this I know because we're 3 weeks from closing and I barely got them last week LOL. I know it is OT, but anyone reading thinking, hey I want a side business I can work my own hours, minimal overhead, minimal insurances. How many other businesses are booked a month ahead of time? Plus you would get to meet some nice dogs, well maybe some jerky dogs, but it's a great way to get your foot in the door for anything pet business related.
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 01:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Glad to hear you'll be getting more hours back! As for the training... *I* require that someone show me their credentials. I don't want to be paying anyone for something that they haven't invested in. Experience is great, but that's not all I'm looking for. I want someone who has taken the time to get that piece of paper. THEN I'll look at their experience, methods, etc. Maybe something to look into while you're working? Or save money to do? I've thought about it since becoming disabled, but with Grim now I'm going to be too busy doing things with him.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin24 View Post
What qualifications do you have to be a dog trainer. The trainers I work with have ALL taken dogs to high level titles whether its Obedience, Agility, Tracking, etc. I wouldn't dream of using a trainer that didn't have alot of experience working with dogs and achieving milestones with them. Just like I look for a reputable breeder, I also look for a reputable trainer.
Let me tell you, our craigslist is full of trainer "wanna bes", who think they are trainers because they taught their own dogs to "sit".

To the OP, I agree with everyone else. You need much much more experience before you offer your services to people.

Why not get a job at Petsmart or Petco as a trainer, and go from there?

Our local stores are always hiring, and if you can't offer more than what those places already offer, well, maybe you shouldn't be hiring yourself out.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

I went to a professional trainer's sales pitch once. You know the kind that charges you $600 for 12 weeks, but is guaranteed "forever". I would never train under this guy, but his big seller was his trained Doberman at his side who had perfect obedience. The dog had very sharp sits, downs, to heel, and a couple of tricks, like "bang your dead" and roll over.

Also look into joining the APDT. Association of Pet Dog Trainers - Dog Training Resources
Old 11-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

I pay trainers based on their experience and expertise. When I need help with a specific problem (or a helper/decoy to work my dog a specific way) I am willing to pay what is fair to make that happen, but that assumes the person has a lot of experience and has demonstrated it. For example I need a Schutzhund helper/decoy to help me proof a few things so I am meeting one tonight and will pay him $25 for a half hour session (that is what I offered). I think the trainer I used to use for basic stuff/behavioral problems charges about $35/hr but I personally think that is low and she deserves more. She has titled several dogs, attended dozens of seminars and learned the protocols of well-known trainers/behaviorists, and is APDT and CPDT. I don't hire any trainer I haven't had the chance to observe working with other dogs (not just their own trained dogs).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How would I go about getting certified? And finding seminars in my area? I'm willing to do anything not only to help get my foot in the door, but get experience also.
I've applied so many times to Petsmart and Petco, but not many places are hiring. :/
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I also would like to go down the dog training path someday. I would start with earning my KPA-CTP and then finding a local trainer to mentor under. I'll have to save up a small fortune first since dog trainers make just about nothing. I think I'd primarily only be interested in teaching agility though, to be honest. Maybe I should just keep my day job...

https://www.karenpryoracademy.com/dog-trainer-program

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Remember that training dogs is training their handlers as well...so if you aren't that into people, it may be frustrating and not so rewarding.

I pay $30 a session for private lessons. We do whatever I want to work on and my trainer is knowledgeable in competitive obedience, retrieves, e-collar, field & water retrieve/hunt work. She goes to training too, so pays to learn from people who have more experience than her. Always going to seminars to learn more. She isn't versed in agility foundation, and is learning that as well, but she knows she wouldn't be a good instructor for teaching agility.

Trainers get most of their business word of mouth so certification usually isn't important. Most have their niches too...and we all know who is the better agility, herding, obedience, behavioral instructors just from their reputations.

I know a person who paid for online training/certifying and she runs a dog day care and holds beginners training classes. Not someone I'd want instruction from, though she is a nice person and probably does help w/ the pet crowd, but she would be way over her head with behavior modification or other training techniques.
There is a training business in my area that has extremely high pricing, no facility(they go to day cares, dog parks and feed stores to hold their classes or go to private homes) Because of the high cost, people probably feel they are great, and I bet they are busy because 'you pay for what you get'!
I wonder if it is their marketing or if they are really worth what they charge....I'll never know.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 11-12-2012 at 05:43 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.