new gsd owner -- need advice please - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default new gsd owner -- need advice please

Hi everyone, I am a new gsd owner. I got her last sunday at 9 weeks old.Her name is zena. I will attach a pic. Anyway, when i first got her, she was very very whiney of course. I put her in the crate the first night, she screamed. I was pretty much up all night which is what i had expected. She is still a pretty whiney dog. I work from home, so i spend alot of time with her -- I also own a 1.5 year old basset hound and they play alot. Due to her constantly freaking out in the crate, I usually leave it open at night and I can hear her get up, so I go let her out. The problem is when I leave the house to run errands or whatever, she completely goes nuts when i lock her in there -- screaming, borderline howling, lol. When i get back, and let her out, she is so whiney and jumping all over me(I have never left her more than a couple hours so far). A couple times I just needed to run across the street to the store and I knew i would be gone only 5 minutes, so i just leave her out because i dont want to deal with the stress of putting her in there. When I do that and come back, she is fine. So I know it is not separation anxiety since if i leave for a few minutes and i dont lock her in the crate, she is ok. I crate trained my basset hound and never had this problem -- I dont anymore as she was able to be trusted with run of the house at 7 months. Any thoughts on this, do some dogs just always hate the crate? Like I said, she is ok going in there if the door is open but just hates being locked in there. I am just trying to figure a way so I am not so stressed out leaving her. I feel so bad and starting to hate leaving my house, lol
Attached Thumbnails
new gsd owner -- need advice please-zena2.jpg  
zzena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

First off, she knows if she screams, you will let her out. Try feeding her in the crate and giving her treats in there so that she associates good things with it. Take it slow and she will be fine.
Owned by Bridgette-RIP 05/93-09/10, Jasmine-01/96-5/06/09, Dakotah-R.I.P 14/12/05, Joshua-R.I.P 31/10/12, Sabrina-1/07/01-26/11/13, Shane 11/09/01-08/22/14, Samantha-R.I.P 07/12/14, Amber, Jody, Wendy, Gabriele-01/23/12-12/21/13, Kimi, and Jakob.
lostangl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ignore her and do other things for the first few minutes after you return home and don't let her out of the crate until she is calm. It may take a while for her to calm down at first,but she will quickly associate being calm with being able to get out of the crate.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostangl View Post
First off, she knows if she screams, you will let her out. Try feeding her in the crate and giving her treats in there so that she associates good things with it. Take it slow and she will be fine.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

could give her a "safe" toy to play with while in the crate, otherwise just let her throw her tantrum and wait till she calms down before letting her out.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks everyone. Yea i do put toys in her crate. I put a bullystick in there earlier and the minute I locked the crate and walked out the room, the screaming started, lol
zzena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

been there done that, going to be hard, but ignore the "tantrum".
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Is there a room in your house that you could pet proof and confine her in it when you have to go away? Like a kitchen or a utility room and could be partitioned off with a baby gate, sometimes they are more comfortable in a larger space as long as it is safe for her.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.