German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Information (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/)
-   -   Do you love one of your dogs more? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/194027-do-you-love-one-your-dogs-more.html)

x0emiroxy0x 11-08-2012 06:46 PM

Do you love one of your dogs more?

I was dead-set on getting another german shepherd when I got a house, but after fostering a dog I don't think I would be good owning more than one dog. I love Rocky the most and I feel like I wouldn't be able to give the other dog the same amount of love.

For example: I really really liked my foster, but sometimes it would annoy me because she was always in my lap and pushing Rocky out of the way and I would rather pet him and give him attention.

So how do those of you with multiple dogs divide your attention? Does one dog get special privileges, like sleeping in the bed?

Liesje 11-08-2012 07:03 PM

Right now I only have two dogs but I usually have three, and sometimes a foster on top of that. My dogs have always been very different, so it's easy to meet their needs. For example Nikon likes to be with me but Coke is really independent, so it's easy to balance a cuddly dog vs. one that wants his freedom and space.

Castlemaid 11-08-2012 07:17 PM

I'm the same way as Lies. I never thought that I could love a dog more than I loved Keeta.. And conversely, I was also worried about another dog displacing Keeta and taking all my attention. Now that I have Gryffon, he is my heart, but while Keeta is very independent and has her own agenda in life, Gryffon only lives and breathes to please me. He is always with me, sleeps on the bed while Keeta, by her choice, sleeps on the floor. It is a lot easier to love and lavish love on a dog that is cuddly and responsive and always trying to engage you. But I can't imagine not having Keeta with me. If I go somewhere with only Gryff, something is missing. I just don't enjoy walking one dog alone as much as I enjoy walking the two of them together.

About a year ago, Keeta spent the day at the vet for a minor procedure, and I felt completely lost without her around. To me it does not feel like loving one dog differently than the other, as much as loving the two of them together, if that makes any sense?

Gryffon is a joy and a pleasure, but the joy and the pleasure seems fuller and more complete by having Keeta (and all her challenges) as part of my everyday life.

Gharrissc 11-08-2012 07:23 PM

I usually have between 4-5 dogs here all of the time and they are all different.My personal dog is 9 years old,and while she has become a lot more active and certainly enjoys most of the dogs here,I always make sure that she gets her alone time with either my husband or myself. I think if you are going to have multiple dogs,you can't really have a 'favorite' because it's not fair to the other dogs. You will let your favorite dog get away with more than the others. As far as the foster dog getting in your lap and demanding attention, that to me is a training issue, because we never let any of the dogs demand attention from us. If you honestly think you couldn't love a second dog as much as you do your current dog,then maybe you should just have one dog.

I have thought of getting a second personal dog,but with as many fosters as we have come through here,it's not like there will be a shortage of dogs.

onyx'girl 11-08-2012 07:23 PM

My three are always underfoot...I try not to play favorites, but because Karlo is the one I work he is the one that gets to go with me often while the other two are left home, and our bond is really strong because of that training. He is my heartdog!
I enjoy having three dogs, when one isn't into playing the other two enjoy each other. And they are all so different in personality none are really lacking for attention.
The only drawback is taking all three in the vehicle or on walks, to the vet. I can't do it easily by myself.
Fostering now is impossible too, the pack dynamic is really nice and bringing in another would toss it around. I'd love to foster, but just can't with the two females I have.

Sunflowers 11-08-2012 07:25 PM

Hats off to you guys.

I have my hands full with one! He is so much work that I can't imagine getting a second one.

Shade 11-08-2012 07:35 PM

No, I love each dog for specific reasons :). I don't treat them differently, they both have the same rules to follow

Yes Jazzy gets to sleep on my bed but it's because she doesn't take up much space, I'm not willing to give up so much of my bed :p. His bed is two queen size blankets beside mine so his bed is just as plushy as mine :wild:

Jag 11-08-2012 07:56 PM

This sounds horrible... but I simply cannot love a non-GSD as much as a shepherd. I got my Pug after the loss of my shepherds. My heart was so broken I said "no more shepherds". However, I never got as close to her... even though she was my only dog for a year and she's very much a lap dog. She's ALWAYS right next to me or on me. When I got Grim, it became crystal clear to me that I'd always have a preference to shepherds. When I had 2 GSDs, I loved them the same. I do love my Pug, but it's just not the same. It sounds heartless even writing it, but it's the truth. I don't know what it is about shepherds, but they are the only dog that I can attach to like that.

llombardo 11-08-2012 07:57 PM

All three of mine are different and I love all of them. My oldest dog was an only dog for a while, but she has always been independent. When she wants to cuddle, I cuddle, because it doesn't happen often. Every now and then she gets into really playful moods. My golden had 2 years dedicated to him and his training before the GSD came along. The past year has been dedicated more to the GSD because of training purposes. Sometimes they all come with me, sometimes just one...I try to give them group and individual time. They are all welcome to sleep on the bed, but the only one that does it consistently is the golden. They love taking walks together and training together. I think the golden is the key, he is close to both dogs and divides his time between them. They all make me smile, they all make me proud, and they all love me unconditionally.

Carriesue 11-08-2012 08:09 PM

I have four dogs... Three I do all the care and work for and one is split between my husband and I. I will probably never own four at once again just because of how much work it is, luckily I am a housewife and have the time for it!

That said I don't think I love any dog more then another, I just love them in different ways. They each have different personalities and things they like to do so I spend time with each doing the things they like to do. Having one of the four being an 10 week old puppy, well it would be safe to say I'm exhausted! Do I deal with jealousy? OH YES and that's a lot of work to manage.

If one is gone for a day it feels odd in the house, lol. In the future though I will just probably have one or two of my own, I want my GSD and I also love having a little dog like my Pom or a papillon though I know I'm in the minority here on that one and have to keep my ruffled feathers in check when someone refers to that kind of dog as a barking slipper. My Pom is not like that, he loves strangers like a fat kid loves cake. :D

Anyways before I go off on a tangent lol, I can and do love more then one dog, will I ever do it again at least with four? No.