Temporary Fencing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Temporary Fencing

We close on the new home end of November, I'm in Canada, digging post holes in December - probably isn't a great idea.
There is a fully fenced yard, however it only has a 4ft picket fence, the area from the side door to and including the rear yard is to become the doggy area. At this time it is unfenced mostly. I mean there is the house, the garage and the chain link that separates the lawn from the cemetery. The plan is to do big barn gates as the fence at one end (rectangular area, need access to the septic) and fence either from the garage to the house or what is preferred is up to and including the side door in a taller white picket, to match the yard on the other side of the driveway - the child yard.
This probably will not be accomplished until spring. So I am wondering what suggestions folks have for temporary containment. I don't want to do much beyond driving stakes, I need a contractor in to build the fence and gates I want because it is over my septic and I do not want to damage the tiles, dh thinks they should be more than 2ft down, but just to be safe, I'm hoping to tie a temporary into the chain link and possibly the house, or drive a stake near the house. I have to get locates, unless I use a deck holder thingy. (That is the technical name for it )
I realize I can go get a couple outdoor runs for $600 each at TSC, but I want to do it cheaper than that, the fence will cost $10/linear foot and I only need 60ft at most. I don't want to double the fencing budget if there is a simpler, less expensive option out there.
I'm trying to avoid using the yard that is fenced as it is only a 4ft fence, I would like to let them out on their own, I won't do it with a 4ft fence, tying them for short periods of time, if they get playing, they can hurt themselves, I have a 2 year old, so hanging out for 10 or 15 minutes while they decide which inch of the lawn is just right for pooping isn't an option. I do have to worry about coyotes, cougars, possibly the odd bear, although highly unlikely, deer and perhaps small Moose, they have been spotted 20km north of the village, so it's possible we could see them.
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

If it's cold that you're thinking about more than money (I live in Ottawa, so I get the cold concept LOL) ... you can still get the fence done in December. My friend had a contractor do the holes for her the first week of December - as long as the ground isn't frozen all the way down (the top couple of inches is fine) like it would be in late Jan / early Feb.

This way you're not spending money on a temporary fence, and then a "real" fence in the spring ... just a thought
Old 11-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think I'd search e-bay and CL to see if I could find a temporary outdoor kennel fairly cheap. Since you only want to band aid the problem till you have your fence built.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I use the orange plastic snow fence for temporary fencing at my house, it is very cheap less than $30 for a 4x100' roll. I bought the fiberglass posts to put it up I think they were $3 apiece and you space them however far apart that you want. You can use tomato stakes also if you want and I tied mine with strips from a plastic bag. We put chicken wire on our farm gates to keep our critters in and other critters out. Just an idea, but I know that you wanted something taller.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post

This way you're not spending money on a temporary fence, and then a "real" fence in the spring ... just a thought
That is my preference, I'm just worried about the holes, being able to dig, being able to cement, I guess I could do what I want and use those concrete holders. The idea is it has to be portable anyways, just in case we have to dig up the septic etc., at the front a new driveway is in order and I know it cannot be done until spring, they can dig it and backfill with A gravel, but I might as well wait until spring.

I did consider snow fencing, but didn't know if it was strong enough. I guess I don't really have to worry about it being an eyesore, the folks behind us aren't going to complain.

I did look on kijiji (more popular then craigslist up here) there were some used kennels, but I'm not sure if that is the route I want, I need 2 and they are still running close to $200 each. One was a 15x15x8, but it was $1,200.
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I lived in the country for 2 years (about 4 years ago) and there was wildlife. The farmer who I paid to plow my lane took down my fence with the tractor (let's NOT go there LOL) I used the orange snow fencing while I was waiting for the fence to get fixed - 2 weeks.

During the two weeks I found coyote, deer and fox in my backyard!!!! Definitely not strong enough to keep them out!

Last edited by Kyleigh; 11-06-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Kyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.