Good, lasting, ball for play? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Good, lasting, ball for play?

I've had Dolly since the middle of March and am on my 4th Jolly ball. I've tried them all. I heard that Tractor Supply sold Jolly balls for Horses and they were stronger and that turned out to be untrue as that one is looking as bad as the other one I got at the same time as the regular 10in from Pet's Supply Plus.

Any suggestions on a durable ball? Dolly is has extreme energy and runs/bikes/crushes every ball in sight.

Here is what I tried so far:

2 10 inch Jolly Balls from Pet's Supply Plus. (torn, chewed, ripped)
1 10 inch Jolly Ball from Tractor Supply. (torn, chewed, ripped)
1 12 inch Jolly Ball from Pet's Supply Plus. (torn, chewed, ripped)
1 Wal-Mart (made in China) basketball (flat, shredded)
1 NBA basketball (flat, shredded)

The basketballs didn't last a day. The Jolly Ball's keep their shape for a few weeks and start getting oval and slowly falling to pieces.

I am looking into the Varsity Ball, but can't any reviews except by the company themselves. I see a few youtube video's, but they all are on opening day and I'm not a fan of a GUARANTEED NOT TO BREAK but if so 1 ball replacement + $5 fee in addition to 10% back. I started to buy, but felt like I was given the Amway spill on why I should buy for $39.99 + $9.10 shipping + $1.50 handling unless somebody I know/trust has tried it out.

Thoughts or other suggestions?
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have the Varsity Ball for my dogs here and they love it. It's held up to one of my fosters who will destroy any toy you give her. I think it was worth the money.
Gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Have you tried Planet Dog balls - Orbee and others? Shop Adult: Chew & Fetch Toys

My dogs are obsessed with Orbees, and they haven't destroyed one yet. Here's Halo with the larger one - they come with and without rope, we buy them without and put our own rope on them:

I have this one too, it's larger at 5" in diameter:

PlanetDog.com: Buy the Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff® SPORT Soccer Ball - 5 out of 5 Chompers

Are you using the Jolly Balls with the handle? My dogs chewed the handle off one of those, now I buy the ones with the rope through it, or the smaller one without a rope or a handle. If you've got a big chewer though, I wouldn't leave any of them with her unsupervised. Nothing can be expected to last forever, but they stand up to abuse like this:

Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The first bounce n play ball I got for Lakota lasted almost 2 years, I bought 2 more a pink and a blue. There might be thousands of teeth marks but it holds up to Miss Chewie. I don't like the hard ones because they hurt & wear down teeth. Jolly Ball Bounce-N-Play
Chuckit balls, kong and this glow in the dark one is great
Amazon.com: Chuckit! Max Glow Ball, Medium, 2-1/2-Inch, 1-Pack: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Chuckit! Max Glow Ball, Medium, 2-1/2-Inch, 1-Pack: Pet Supplies
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

I love the JW Pet Megalast balls! They have held up really well with my pack. Megalast ball
Old 11-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharrissc View Post
I have the Varsity Ball for my dogs here and they love it. It's held up to one of my fosters who will destroy any toy you give her. I think it was worth the money.
How long have you had it? Is it hard plastic and/or thick?

Last edited by gowen; 11-02-2012 at 03:30 PM.
gowen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Have you tried an Egge? They are harder plastic, larger, so the dog can't really get its mouth around it, but they kick it around, wrestle with it, etc. They seem to hold up, my fosters never destroyed one, my dogs do not have an interest in it though.
gsdmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Best ball for play?

I've used (and still do) plain old rubber Racquetballs from either a sporting goods store or Target. They are pretty inexpensive, and last a very long time. Otto is "initiating" one currently.They are large enough not to swallow or choke on.
0tt02012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

There's a ball out there that a GSD can't destroy? LMAO ... good luck finding one ... when you do, post it, I'm going to try that one NEXT
Old 11-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think I made a mistake by playing with a basketball when I first got Dolly (9 weeks). I do have a racquetball and also many Kong tennis balls, but they just do not do the same for her as larger balls do. If I set out a Tennis Ball, Jolly Ball, or Basketball. She is going for the largest of them that rolls the best (Basketball).

She really likes to roll them around and play. That is what had me looking into the Varsity Ball, but there is too much sell/hype on the webpage. It reminds me of an infomercial or amway affiliate webpage. Maybe I'll wait for another Groupon deal.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Please keep them coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
There's a ball out there that a GSD can't destroy? LMAO ... good luck finding one ... when you do, post it, I'm going to try that one NEXT
According to Varisty a tiger and/or elephant couldn't destroy them(?), but then comes the disclaimer.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.