Good, lasting, ball for play? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #21 (permalink)

I have 2 puppies (4 & 5 months old right now) but I also had a GSD that was 10 when he passed away in October. I have tons of softballs, kongs, and baseballs. The only bad thing about baseballs is that they absolutely love the sound they make when dropped on the foyer floor....I don't so much. LOL

For outside we have a regulation basketballs, soccer balls and some large rubber balls (like kids use in elementary school). We also have a soccer ball with a bell in it - it's absolutely great, especially for older dogs that have vision problems, as they can learn to still play ball from following the sound.
TsPlace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerful1 View Post
The lacrosse balls work for us. We've had ours for over a year, and Joey has not destroyed one yet. We still supervise play with it, though.
choking hazard for high drive dogs. I would never let my dogs play with a lacrosse ball.
Cuz balls are pretty tough, my dogs favorite.
I like to get two sizes of holee rollers and put a small one in the larger one. They last for quite awhile, and don't get lost in the deeper snow like the cuz's! And they don't tear up teeth.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 01-24-2013 at 09:24 AM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #23 (permalink)

Smile Jolly Balls

I have two 2-year old females and they love their Jolly Balls. Did you get the hard plastic kind? I know Jolly Balls also come in the soft plastic, but you can get the hard plastic ones at amazon. The hard plastic ones are virtually indestructible, and trust me they are very rough with them. They chase it around, and it wears them out to the point of panting, they love it!
wolfmama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #24 (permalink)

Have you tried the Pawzzle? It is hard plastic the size of a basketball and has a smaller ball inside of it. You can get it at Amazon or Cabela's online. Ours lasted close to a year until Hank deflated the inner ball. I removed the deflated small ball and he still loves to run around with the large "empty" ball.

I bought a cheap knock-off of the Pawzzle and the inner ball lasted about two days, so I put a large Kong ball inside that won't fall out.

As for smaller balls, I also suggest something large enough that is not a choking hazard. We have a large Kong biscuit ball (different than the one mentioned earlier) and he loves that one to carry around in the house. (Disclaimer: I no longer buy or recommend any Kong products due to a very poor experience with their customer service in regard to a Kong "ballistic" product that lasted about 15 minutes).
Old 01-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #25 (permalink)

My dogs have not been able to destroy this ball - The Chuckit - Large Whistler Ball. I usually get the 2.5 inch but bought the 3 inch last time and they love both of them. My Shepherd actually uses this ball as sort of a pacifier. The balls are indestructable and the only reason I have to buy more is because they get lost. I still have the original one I bought nearly two years ago!
jjwhite904 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwhite904 View Post
My dogs have not been able to destroy this ball - The Chuckit - Large Whistler Ball. I usually get the 2.5 inch but bought the 3 inch last time and they love both of them. My Shepherd actually uses this ball as sort of a pacifier. The balls are indestructable and the only reason I have to buy more is because they get lost. I still have the original one I bought nearly two years ago!
Interesting. I tried the Chuckit's and they actually fell into two pieces within 30 minutes of playing. That was me throwing, Dolly catching and chomping on it while bringing it back to me.

I purchased multiple Chuckit's, Glowing, Whistle, Mega, ect. They all crush or fall apart.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #27 (permalink)

Default Good, lasting, ball for play?

Mine love the orange chuck it balls! And they last!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
beckybabyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #28 (permalink)
Elite Member

I found the strongest balls for my GSD was the Orange Hockey balls (hard orange plastic for road hockey) or Lacross balls are even better they are hard as rock!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #29 (permalink)

Default balls

The best thing I have found so far is a soccer ball. He has not deflated it yet after 4 months.
bsjlong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #30 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsjlong View Post
The best thing I have found so far is a soccer ball. He has not deflated it yet after 4 months.
Really? Keefer deflated a soccer ball immediately. Unfortunately, it wasn't ours...
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.