How to get titles for my pup? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 12:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to get titles for my pup?

I'm all new at this and have been trying to research on how to earn champion titles for my pup when she gets older. She's only 13 weeks right now and I'm still working on the basic training and a few tricks with her. I don't know much about the titles either and am still learning. An advice would greatly be appreciated

I'm located in the U.S. California.

Thank you!
Meeka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 12:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Titles in what? Show? Sport? What venue?
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
Titles in what? Show? Sport? What venue?
I'm not sure what the diferrence in the title intitials are. Here are her parents
Sire- SG Eli von Noble-Land
Dam- Huebsch vom glengrove
I want to keep the titles for my dog. Just trying to learn and educate as I go so please bare with me. Thank you.
Meeka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 02:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What is your goal in titling your dog? For fun? Breeding? Any particular sport you are interested in? Do you want to show your dog?
Old 10-29-2012, 02:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Your puppy's dam does not have any show ratings or titles posted on pdb. You should ask the breeder if she has any.

The sire has a SG, AD and BH. Any WGSL with no obvious faults or defects can get a SG show rating. Not anything tough to do that. Just show the dog when she is 1 year + and you can get a SG.

AD is not difficult if you train for it. BH can be done with time and training if your dog has the temperament and clear head for it.

If you only want to match the parent's titles, it will not be difficult. Especially if you are motivated and start early.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

There are SO many titles... I completely understand your confusion. Is there any reference guide anywhere? (there should be!) I have spent hours google-ing to learn the little I know now. Don't feel bad, I have been a GSD addict most of my life, and still don't understand them all! Good luck! I can tell you "sport dog" titles are INTENSE work. We went to the dog club here, training is 8-10 hours on Saturdays... I just can't devote all that time. Bad owner. I know. Set goals, decide what titles you want to focus on, and go for it!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

And actually, I would not even call a BH or AD a "title". A "SG" is a show rating. If you wanted to title, you would need to get to a higher level like an IPO1 or MACH and so on.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
And actually, I would not even call a BH or AD a "title". A "SG" is a show rating. If you wanted to title, you would need to get to a higher level like an IPO1 or MACH and so on.
My point is people who are new to this have NO IDEA what any of these letters mean... AT ALL. Where do you look to see what a BH is? Or an AD...or IPO, or MACH... where does a newbie look? I googled ALOT. It would be nice to help the newbies.... (like me ). Education is good...
Old 10-29-2012, 07:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

you're right. if a person says they're new to Shepherds, titles,
ratings why use initials when talking about them. explain
the meaning of the initials.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedtrucker View Post
My point is people who are new to this have NO IDEA what any of these letters mean... AT ALL. Where do you look to see what a BH is? Or an AD...or IPO, or MACH... where does a newbie look? I googled ALOT. It would be nice to help the newbies.... (like me ). Education is good...
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

For AKC titles...find an obedience club or a kennel club and start training with them. You will be taught how to handle your dog in the ring in order to not lose points towards titles. You will also probably end up with a pretty obedient dog. Most kennel/obedience clubs put on a show at least once a year, you can start off there and learn the basics. Once you get into it its pretty easy to figure out the rest as you move up levels and such.

Schutzhund...same thing. Go to a club, join the club, you'll figure everything out during training.

Shows (German and AKC) are a bit different. You really need to get into the show world first before you start showing a dog. Based on the pedigree of your dog, you'll run into many road blocks in both rings. They are highly political, and highly competitive. Learning the tricks of the trade in that world takes many years and thousands of dollars.

AKC has a website with a listing of their titles and what they mean. I'm sure the same is true for Schutzhund titles.

Last edited by martemchik; 10-29-2012 at 10:26 AM.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.