German Shepherds Forum banner

What Breed Will You Go With Next?

22K views 226 replies 135 participants last post by  voodoolamb 
#1 ·
I am sure many of us will always have at least one GSD in our homes for the rest of our lives but what other breed are you going to get or you would like to get?

My next breed will be a Dalmatian.

Eventually I'd like to own a Shiba Inu, Doberman, Pomeranian, Papillon, Australian Shepherd, Border Collie and a Sheltie.

#5 ·
There are other breeds that I admire & am always curious what the dog was bred for, I find it interesting. Of breeds I admire an Australian Shepherd comes to mind, really like them, had one in class a blast to watch, but I honestly think I will only own a GSD and will always have one:)

#6 ·
I would love to foster at some point but I really want a well bred Dalmatian for my next dog.

I would also like to rescue a Border Collie mix or a Australian Shepherd mix (some kind of medium sized fluffy mix) at some point.

Once I am in a bigger house, Mal is trained and older and I think I can handle a 3rd dog, a male Dal puppy will join us.

Right now there are 5 dogs in my home, 2 GSDs, 2 Min Pins and an ACD mix, they all get along very well and I enjoy the different personalities and the different sizes.

#18 ·
Haha YES!! It would be a refreshing change.

I've always been a big dog person, but I can see myself with a small dog someday. It would be like owning a cat that you can take for a walk. I like Papillons, Japanese Chin, Border Terriers. Though a terrier probably wouldn't be much of a couch potato.

#32 ·
My next dog will be a GSD (and probably many after that!).

When I feel like I can't do another GSD pup/young dog, then I will rescue/adopt/purchase a senior GSD. :)
^ What she said! I have had several different types of dogs growing up, and currently have 3 Chihuahua's and a toy poodle, along with my GSD. I will be getting a GSD puppy in the next few months, but this will be my last puppy! After that, I will be too old to properly exercise a GSD puppy! lol When my current dogs are gone (which I don't even WANT to think about), I will be getting a rescued older GSD...as I just can't imagine not having one in my life now! :)

#9 ·
I might get another GSD as my next dog. I also really like dobermans, rottweilers, great danes, Australian shepherds, dachshunds, dutch shepherds, Pitt bull, and have entertained the idea of going to the shelter and just getting a Heinz57. I really would like to get a doberman, but I for sure won't get another gsd, a doberman, a rottweiler, a great dane, a pitt bull or a dutch shepherd until I move because I don't want to have to find a place with two larger dogs and certainly don't want to go through breed restrictions with two different "aggressive" breeds.

#11 ·
If the hubby has his way we will have a doberman. I personally like my herding breeds, ACD or Aussie shepherd. I LOVE mastiffs and irish wolfhounds but just wouldn't be able to have one. I can't imagine having a dog whose life span is only 8ish years. It is hard enough losing them at 12-14. I also like standard poodles quite a bit. I would definately have one if given the chance.

#12 ·
My last 2 dogs were rescues. When current GSD dies we will probably get another rescue. We are 1-at-a-time dog owners.

Reactions: Coleen
#13 ·
GSD all the way for me. When Coke passes (I don't like to think about this!) probably either another rescue mutt or a St. Bernard for the family.

#14 ·
I have had an Irish Setter, Wheaten Terrier, Shelties, Toy Poodle, Lab (still have), Golden (still have) and my first GSD in 5 weeks or so. Love(d) them all.

But if DH wasn't completely opposed I would get a Leonberger in the future! Size + hair + drool + expensive short lifespan = a big no go from his perspective :(

#16 ·
My husband likes Labs but I am so not a Lab person and I know who is going to do all the training, feeding, grooming and overall care of the dog... so not going to happen.

Maybe a Malinois. But as long as I have access to dogs like Nala, there is really no need to switch the breed. Might do it because of the shedding aspect though LOL.

As for fostering, I used to but honestly, the foster dogs took the time away from my own dogs. My own dogs are more important to me, therefor I won't foster any longer.

#19 ·
I've grown up with or owned myself poodles, Keeshond, Lab Mix, Greyhound, have fostered a Jack Russell terrier (and Aussies and GSDs), now have an Aussie in the house.

I work with dogs every day. Love them all and I love my fiance's little Aussie but.....I just cannot ever imagine having another dog then a GSD for my own.

I think I'll second the idea that when I can't keep up with higher energy younger GSDs I'll adopt senior GSDs

#23 ·
I had to google this, very interesting.

"Lacys are intelligent, intense, active and alert. Originally created to work feral hogs, the Lacy was developed into an all-around working breed for ranchers, cowboys, hunters and trappers. They have incredible drive and determination. Bold and brave, they excel at herding cattle and hunting wild boar. They are naturally territorial and will protect their property. Though Lacys make excellent companions, they don't do well with passive owners. This breed needs a calm yet assertive leader who establishes clear rules. Lacys also need consistent mental and physical exercise. Due to their intelligence, they can be quickly trained to perform many tasks. Some lines are being bred specifically for gaming and others are being bred more for companion dogs."

What are you going to do with it? I'm excited to see pictures! :)

True, I have heard that they are active little dogs that do well in Agility and Flyball. But at least it's a small package. :)
We have a Papillon in one of our classes. He's a terror LOL He's SUPER smart and can learn anything, really fast. Athletic, agile - really fun dog. And those ears!

#25 ·
I hope to get another Australian Cattle Dog/Australian Shepherd mix. {Since I live in "cattle country", this cross is very common.}

Wrangler was this mix and he was "the best of both worlds". As are the others I have met.

Possibly a pure bred ACD or Aussie. The ACD is the ideal size and has the ideal coat. I would prefer something a little smaller and with less coat than your typical Australian Shepherd. (But I might just "suck it up" and go this way anyway. You never know!) I do NOT believe in "miniature" nor "toy" Aussies. :thumbsdown: :rolleyes2: :nono:

I've thought about another Catahoula Leopard Dog, but again want something a bit smaller. I've had 2 Catahoulas in the past and just LOVE the breed.

This is "in addition to" a GSD, not "instead of". I will always have a FEMALE GSD. And a male of another breed. I just don't do male GSDs.

Since it is now just Siren and I, I have been seriously thinking about getting a "little brother" this spring/summer. (And have talked to an ACD breeder.)

One breed I would also like to have someday is an Entlebucher Mountain Dog.

#28 ·
I've seen them (via the internet and on TV.) They are really neat looking dogs. BUT from what I've read about them, would NOT be a good fit for me. They remind me too much of a Border Collie on crack!! (Though I'm sure there are those that are a little calmer than is typical for the breed.) I also can't import a dog. Just not something I want to do.

I've had a Border Collie, but he was fairly calm (for a B.C.). Unfortunately I lost him at a young age (less than 2yo.) due to severe epilepsy.

#27 ·
I'm not so much looking for a particular breed, moreso I'm looking for a set of traits I want: Dog friendly, cat friendly, eager to please, active with a "off" switch. Probably going to go with a rescue.

Some breeds (or mixes of) that I would consider: GSD, corgi, doberman, Australian cattle dog, border collie, Shetland sheepdog, Australian shepherd, some hound breeds, possible bully breeds depending on temperament, catahoula.

Just looked at those Koolie's and I'm interested in learning more.
I also like Kooikerhondje.

#31 ·
If not a working line GSD, then I'm looking for 'generic' dog. In other words, I don't really care about the breed, or breed mix. My next dog that is not a GSD will be from the pound. It will be a medium to large, over-the-top confident, pushy, rude, crazy dog that makes eye contact with me while wagging his tail, and pushing his face into my hands for petting and affection. The one that will be nothing but trouble and an on-going challenge and non-stop laughs. Should be fun. :)

#35 ·
Our next dog will likely be an AmStaff...

However we will always have a GSD or two around as well.

#36 ·
I've always played this game of "What's my next dog gonna be?" When my mature & last beagle I plan on owning goes to her happy hunting ground I will get a medium sized male mixed from the pound. I really prefer females but since my GSD is female I rather bring in a male this next time. Well this is what I say now but as has happened in the past, dog plans do change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.