Good conformation Folder - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Good conformation Folder

maximizing exposure to GOOD , CORRECT conformation

in answer to a thread "Disturbing" and others along the same vein - frog dog , cow hocks, roach back etc that may not get read because of the topic that they are connected with , I am starting this file on good and correct conformation --

Using Fred Lanting's Front and Rear Angulation in the Working Dog | Fred Lanting

and Hetty "von Lord Fandor"

and Dingo haus Gero
dreamy

more later

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That's hard to not admire.
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quite a sight to see...now tell me how they shot this video?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It's like watching Nat Geo. Gorgeous!! Thanks Carmen.
Zeus 2000-2009
Odin 2010-2011
Josie/Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There's two things I don't understand about that dog:
  1. Why does his front left foot go inside his rear left foot while his front right foot goes outside his rear right foot? Or to shift the perspective to the rear- I would have expected both rear feet to come forward on the outside of the front feet. Is this normal?
  2. I'm sure this dog has extremely good conformation otherwise Carmen wouldn't have posted it. But I can't help but think that the humerus is a bit short. I'm sure I'm wrong but I want to learn about what I *think* I see...
In motion, it seems like the humerus and lower arm are very close in length:

But in the stack, I don't think I agree (note the credit given to Linda Shaw's artwork):

I don't mean this arrogantly- in fact, I am quite ignorant and trying to learn. What makes this dog's conformation better than any of the other GSDs out there that have a short humerus? What is it about this dog's front end that you like?

I can't stress enough that I am not bashing this dog. I don't know a thing about this dog. But as a Sieger and VA rated, someone must thing he's pretty great. I'm trying to learn here...

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

I think the main draw of using Gero as an example is that stacked he's not extreme at all but moving he looks great. He's usually the rebuttal to the trend of extreme rear angles, "banana backs", short and steep croup, broken topline being the desires trends. I'm no expert so I can't comment directly on your questions other than to say no dog is perfect!

I actually have a folder on my computer where I save dogs I like, but very few dogs in there are my complete ideal picture, most of the pictures feature a desirable head, earset, shoulder, rear, topline, etc.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Is this thread for posting dogs we think have exceptional conformation?
Home of Ch Doll; U-CDx Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP OA AXJ(ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Natty; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Andaka- that was my take in reading Carmen's OP. That said, I hope people can feel free to question why someone thinks a specific dog has exceptional conformation, and that the poster can back their reasoning for thinking so.

Liesje- I can totally see your explanation. I am still having a really hard time "reading" a dog's rear end conformation but would agree that Dingo haus Gero does somehow look very nice in topline and rear end. I think the thing that caught me off guard is that Carmen has stated that a poor front end is a major pet-peeve. I'm certainly not saying Dingo has a "poor" front end- just saying that I felt the humerus was a bit short.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Dingo...(albeit my beloved Drago's mother was line bred on him).....does/did not have a *straight or level* topline. oh oh......he also curved downward from his back to croup area. His wither was the highest point...as well as his croup (rear) being the lowest.....no *level* in his topline, even standing in his normal stance.
He could be easily "stacked" to exaggerate the curvature of his back...*push on rear, and extend back leg slightly.*...he also somewhat "fell" on his pasterns when in motion.....
My Tatianna (daughter of Drago) resembles this type of dog...and her movement is nearly flawless. Tatianna can gait for hours without tiring...and *honestly*...I have never seen her pace.....even when exhausted.
robinhuerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wildo....the illustration with the "skeletal example" is not positioned properly.....look at where the shoulder blade is?.....the topline does not begin where it is placed.

Again....Illustration does not mean correct or perfect.
robinhuerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.