Aggressive breeds? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Aggressive breeds?

I've been trying to find a new place to live so that we can save some money. Anyways, we've been looking around for apartments and ALL had breed restrictions. At first, we would just ask them the weight limit. They would say there's no limit as long as it's not an aggressive breed. "We have a German Shepherd." She replied, "Sorry. That's considered an aggressive breed."

I asked her for some examples of her "aggressive" breeds. Guess what the top 3 were:
- Dobermans
- Rottweilers
- German Shepherds

Yet, I saw no where on the list mentioning Pit Bull Terriers. I saw a few being walked when I pulled into the complex as well. So do they just have a thing against Breeds that were bred for protection? It wasn't just one complex, there were many that stated the same. It was definitely not a big dog thing because I see Bull Mastiffs, Giant Schnauzers, etc... being walked. It's frustrating to hear how protection breeds are frowned upon.
GSDkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I am in insurance here in Florida. MOST of the apts and insurance companies ban the following breeds:

GSD
Rott
Dobie
Akita
Pit bull of any kind
Presa Canario
Dogo Argentina
Huskies
Catahoula Leopard Dogs

I am sure I am missing a few. I knew I was getting a GSD so I hunted around to find an insurance company that would allow the GSD. When I had my prior WGSD- I had to live in a dumpy apartment that would accept ANY dog EXCEPT pit bulls. It does SUCK, especially seeing as Dachsunds have the highest bite rate- they just don't cause as much $$$ damage.

Some places would ok the dog if they have the CGC certification or other obedience training certificates.
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
Dooney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah that's what I found out here in Ohio when I was trying to get an apartment. I also saw Chows and Huskies on certain apartments lists. Almost all the apartments had breed restrictions and Ohio has breed legislation against pits, but it's apparently it's not enforced.

If you put down "mix" on your lease and you have a well behaved dog and don't cause any trouble they don't seem to care in my complex. There's quite a few pits (that are ALL pit and very obvious pits), a pure-bred rottie, and SEVERAL chows. I certainly don't mind, I have a soft spot for all pups! I'd loooove to get a shepherd but I don't know how well that'd go over.
MegansGrace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

sable gsd or black or bi color = gsd mix on lease? lol I mean people think they are are mixes anyway a lot of times.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
sable gsd or black or bi color = gsd mix on lease? lol I mean people think they are are mixes anyway a lot of times.
They don't even have to be sable. If you have a GSD that doesn't weigh 100+lbs people think they're too small and thus mixed. I don't know how many people tell me Sasha isn't pure because she's only 70lbs. The best one is Them: "She's going to be HUGE when she grows up." Me: "She'll be three in just a few months..." Them: "Oh.......she's so small." Yeah tell that to my ribs when she body slams me in the morning ROFL.

NewbieShepherdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

more often than not, its the insurance company behind the apartment complex thats responsible for breed restrictions. Its all due to ignorance of course and bad owners causing the ignorance. We've never found an apartment that would allow GSDs. far as our previous apartment complex was concerned, Zena was a shiloh shepherd and Riley was easily a BC mix because thats what he is. Keep looking. You may have to look for privately owned places instead of big complexes to find an accepting place.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

I personally don't believe any breed being aggressive unless being properly trained. Theres bad owners but not bad beeds. Its our faults that we give this breed that rep of being aggressive. I have a rottie and a GSD and both are big babbies; rottie more so than gsd. Bella just loves when ppl give her attention and play with her. Hachi is the type that he don't care if he gets attention or not lol. He gets it out of his big bones i buy.
Bella (my love bug) LOL
Warrior09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have a somewhat related question - do any insurance carriers consider any of the Belgian Shepherds (Malinois, Tervuren, etc.), King Shepherds, or Shiloh Shepherds to be "aggressive breeds" being that they share so much genetically with the GSD?

AbbyK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 11:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyK9 View Post
I have a somewhat related question - do any insurance carriers consider any of the Belgian Shepherds (Malinois, Tervuren, etc.), King Shepherds, or Shiloh Shepherds to be "aggressive breeds" being that they share so much genetically with the GSD?

none that i've come across. I remember one of the apartments we were looking at actually had a list of welcomed breeds as well as unwelcome breeds. Dont remember if i asked why they'd done it that way but they literally handed us the list, told us to take it home and see if our breeds were on the welcome side. It was ALL of the AKC registered breeds at the time.

We have renters insurance with USAA and they dont have breed restrictions so that has helped us a couple times in getting into a previously NO GSD attitude place because we got in writing our renters insurance would cover any bite related incidences. Dunno if that helps any but the only breeds on the restricted list were the ones already know to be on most of them.

We asked about shilohs because we were interested in them at the time we were going to our second apartment and they were fine with them. Said as long as they werent GSDs, chows, rotts, dobies, or pits as long as they werent over the weight limits we were good.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 11:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I was just curious. I've never had any trouble renting ... even when we had two dogs and two cats and now with one dog and three cats. We made our last move within 14 days because our landlord sold the old property (the house had been on the market for three years) and he needed us out ... wasn't an issue even with the critters.

Quote:
We have renters insurance with USAA and they dont have breed restrictions so that has helped us a couple times in getting into a previously NO GSD attitude place because we got in writing our renters insurance would cover any bite related incidences.
We also have USAA for our renter's insurance. Just FYI, however, they will cover liability on the first bite but will not cover your dog(s) after that. We asked them a lot of questions when we switched to them (we had State Farm previously but USAA was a better deal in our new place) and that was one of the things they told us.

AbbyK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.