Do shock collars work? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do shock collars work?

Do shock colors with remote work for training? My new GS obeys at times, but when she is out side she takes off at times. Last time I had to go look for her for two hours and then finally found her. I saw a collar for around $250 that has about a 1 mile range....Any insight on this?

I don't want to do an electric fence, keeping her in the yard is not my concern, I am looking more for obedience training.

Thanks.
silvergts1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2011, 02:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

if you wouldnt put a shock collar on your child, don't put it on your dog. if you're having that many issues, go find a trainer or give your dog to someone who has the patience to train the dog properly.

and for the record, keeping her in the yard IS your concern. work on recall training or put her on a leash.
seasonedfries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2011, 03:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A shock collar is very useful for off-leash training if you've done your research into shock collar training methods and have properly introduced it to your dog. I use mine for off-leash training, although I haven't used it in a very long time.

If you are going to use a shock collar, I think you should wait a bit until you've developed a stronger bond with your dog and you would no longer consider her new since you are still building trust with her.

Keep in mind that shock collars aren't magic, and they can require the same amount of time and consistency as other training methods. So yes, shock collars do work, but they also require a lot of work.
Syaoransbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2011, 03:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A great write up about shock collars: LOU CASTLE - ARTICLES
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2011, 05:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasonedfries View Post
if you wouldnt put a shock collar on your child, don't put it on your dog. if you're having that many issues, go find a trainer or give your dog to someone who has the patience to train the dog properly.

and for the record, keeping her in the yard IS your concern. work on recall training or put her on a leash.
Seasonfries, you missed my entire point.

Thanks to the rest for the input. I will read the article. My other GS I have is completely smarter than the new one we got. She listens to every command. I am not looking to keep my dog in certain boundaries by using an electric fence, I want to train her to obey commands. I think having a dog that knows it's boundaries in a yard but doesn't listen doesn't make for a good family pet. The new GS is going to need stronger training because I think the previous owner treated it like a kid and spoiled it hence some of the attitude of I will do what ever I please.
silvergts1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2011, 05:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33

how long have you had your new dog?

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
DCluver33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2011, 06:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I do have and have used an ecollar as a surgical tool for specific problems but if she was gone for two hours, I would consider that you really need to work on bonding.

At this point, I am nut sure the ecollar would do much for you in that regard. If you do go that route, I would personally consider Lou Castle's approach over anyone elses. Expect to spend around $300 for a collar that can properly be set for low stim methods though. The range is never as stated; it is same as with radios - set in flat land with no trees. Throw in osbturctions, hills, and gullies and the range drops WAY off. Besides timing is critical with an ecollar and if you can't SEE the dog you may be correcting the wrong thing.

The question "how long have you had her" may be relevant. Perhaps she wanted to go home. On the few ocassions my GSDs have gotten loose (and I mean FEW) they wound up on the front door step wanting to come in.....it is not a breed prone to running off.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2011, 06:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Firstly, modern e-collars are not "shock" collars. I have used a Dogtra e-collar on our 22 month old GS Raven, for the last 12 months, primarily for the recall. I followed Lou Castles' protocols to the letter, and after a lot of hard work, have a solid recall on a dog that would take off into the sunset at a moments notice 12 months ago. As a previous post mentioned, the e-collar is not a magic button, and it is a tool among many others. Dogs do not learn very well when in pain, so "blasting" the dog with an e-collar to obtain compliance will have serious consequences that could require a long time to fix by a very experienced trainer.
BTW, purchase a good e-collar..the cheap varieties do not have enough levels and the stimm jumps too high between each level on these collars.
Go to Lou Castles' web site, the info is all there and it is freely available.
Have a good long weekend folks
Richard
RichardMorris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2011, 06:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

You need to bond with your dog and not let it off leash until you have it under better control. Having it off leash and trying to train a dog who is new to its family/surroundings and then adding in a shock collar is a recipe for disaster. Keep the dog leashed at all times outside. Use every opportunity as a training opportunity. Letting your dog off leash and having it run away for hours on end IS your concern as it can get hurt or hurt someone else resulting in fines, medical bills, arrests, loss of the animal or worse.

New dogs take time to settle in and feel comfortable. While your other dog may be trained and listen to your every command this new dog needs time, practice, and many hours of you/your family working on training the dog. Tools can be a great resource or a bad one depending on the hands using the resource. Just throwing on a shock collar with no other training or basics won't do anything but scare the poop out of the dog making training and bonding that much harder.

Please take the time to start the dog right. Keep the dog on leash while outside even if it is a 30ft long lead and its dragging on the ground so you can at least step on it if the dog looks like its going to take off. Things don't happen overnight they take time and many hours of consistency and hard work on your part as well as the dogs.

Good luck.
Diesel-GSD
Old 09-04-2011, 06:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly1331 View Post
You need to bond with your dog and not let it off leash until you have it under better control. Having it off leash and trying to train a dog who is new to its family/surroundings and then adding in a shock collar is a recipe for disaster. Keep the dog leashed at all times outside. Use every opportunity as a training opportunity. Letting your dog off leash and having it run away for hours on end IS your concern as it can get hurt or hurt someone else resulting in fines, medical bills, arrests, loss of the animal or worse.

New dogs take time to settle in and feel comfortable. While your other dog may be trained and listen to your every command this new dog needs time, practice, and many hours of you/your family working on training the dog. Tools can be a great resource or a bad one depending on the hands using the resource. Just throwing on a shock collar with no other training or basics won't do anything but scare the poop out of the dog making training and bonding that much harder.

Please take the time to start the dog right. Keep the dog on leash while outside even if it is a 30ft long lead and its dragging on the ground so you can at least step on it if the dog looks like its going to take off. Things don't happen overnight they take time and many hours of consistency and hard work on your part as well as the dogs.

Good luck.
I agree totally...Our GS Raven, is never outside unsupervised. We live in rural Prince Edward Island in Atlantic Canada, surrounded by farms with all sorts of livestock. When we are walking in public, I use a prong collar, as I find it more effective. Raven had her basic obedience before I used the e-collar, and it was a long process, but following Lous' protocols, there is very little chance of "scaring the poop out of the dog" as you put it.
Raven always has the e-collar on when she is outside, or when we go into the fields (off leash) but now she comes when called, without me having to use the collar, and if I want to get her attention, I use the pager button. The collar is a security measure, just in case she does take off after a rabbit or something., and it is very difficult to call a GS back when it is in full prey drive.
Richard
RichardMorris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.