Fleas - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Fleas

Does anyone know of a flea product for yards and kennel area that won't kill your dog along with the fleas?

Also has anyone had a negative reaction to Frontline or Advantix?

I've lived in the same home for 20 years owning one or two dogs the whole time and never had a flea problem until this year. I would love to stop it quick but am a little worried about what some products might do to my dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Elite Member

Try this site:

Alternative Flea And Tick Treatments and Products for cats, dogs, home and yard | Tiny Timmy's Healing Journey

Diatomaceous earth - food grade - is one alternative you might try.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 01:58 PM
Elite Member

I find in the warm weather Nero picks up a few fleas on walks meeting other dogs or in the back yard, I find keeping the grass well cut down in the summer helps alot..! And i also use a flea collar in the summer for Nero aswell as his frontline spot on's.

Another good trick is to put flea collars in the corners of rooms and in the hoover.! Or flea powder, whatever takes your fancy.. Hope that helps a little...

Nero looks at me with eyes of love, he thinks Im far to wonderful to criticise or judge

Lisa-marie

tally-breeze,Sable Gsd, (Nero) D.o.b 13/06/03
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Master Member

My dog Boris got chemical burns from Frontline. He had several circular bald patches down his back in the exact spots I put the Frontline. Hair never grew back in those spots. Around the same time several years ago, after applying Frontline, Bonni ran around the house rubbing her back on whatever she could, and then she ran into the shower and stood there. I washed it off. So after those experiences, I never went back to Frontline.

Last year I tried Flea Free (vinegar,garlic, and herbal stuff added to their food), and Liquid Fence (herbal spray). Seems to work, at least I don't think they can hurt.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 02:11 PM

The frontline does not work for me on my cat or dogs. I have started using Capstar for my cat and Comfortis for the dogs. They have worked wonders and I haven't had any problems since. Here's some info on it

Comfortis (spinosad) Flea Protection Chewable Tablet — Comfortis4Dogs.com

Lacey- 10/22/10
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 02:25 PM

I also tried Confortis and it worked great. It went from finding four or five fleas moving around in one area on my dogs belly to finding dead ones a couple of hours later. By the next day, I couldnt find a living flea on her whole body and still havnt 2 weeks later.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks for the responses so far.
I'm in and out of the house today so I'll check into some of these products. I read a tiny bit on Confortis and it does work through some neurotransmitters so that concerns me a little but I need to read more on everything.

Thanks for the responses
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Master Member

I use K-9 Advantix. Have used it for years and never had a problem with skin reactions, fleas or ticks.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Master Member

granulated sulphur
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 09:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to CandySkyer
We use springtime inc bug off garlic and soon longevity for our girl. it works wonders. NO ticks or fleas on her when shes on. but when we ran out, it was obvious, she had few ticks and all. shes getting her stock in soon. it works better than any chemicals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page