Why some have long hair..others short hair? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why some have long hair..others short hair?

My GSD has short hair and was wondering why others have long hair. What is the difference in the breed? Is it bc he is only 1.5 years old?
Ares2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2011, 04:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Long coats are because of a recessive gene. A litter can have a variety of coat lengths, it's genetic.
dazedtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Stosh was one of 3 long coated pups in a litter of 6- just happens if there's the gene
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks. It seems like I have been seeing more with long coats. I don't mind it being short especially because of the shedding he is doing...just wondering.
Ares2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Its easy to understand how traits are passed on. All creatures are comprised of DNA. We get our DNA from our parents. The long coat gene is a recessive gene in a short coated dog. In a long coated dog, it is a dominant gene. Look up punnet square. A punnet square is used to predict the genotype and phenotype of offspring of two parents. For example: My bitches first litter produced 8 pups. 4 pups sable, 4 pups black. 4 pups long coat, 4 pups short coat. My bitch is black short coat. The sire is sable short coat. Both dogs carry a recessive gene for the long coat, so there was a 25% chance of long coat puppies in the litter. The black gene is also recessive, also a 25% chance of black puppies. If you dont know what genes they carry you can guess by the outcome of the puppies. This current litter of hers only produced 4 puppies, so not sure if just the small number of puppies would indicate dominant/recessive genes. She had no long coat, and no black. I know the male has a recessive black gene, his sire is black, but may not carry the long coat gene, since no long coated puppies. The gene is there, just depends on how the chromosomes pair up.

Last edited by dawnandjr; 06-04-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: mispelling
dawnandjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure the difference is longcoats do not have the dense undercoat.
mthurston0001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthurston0001 View Post
I'm pretty sure the difference is longcoats do not have the dense undercoat.
Nope - there is actually a long stock coat that does have an undercoat, and a true longcoat that does not.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Nope - there is actually a long stock coat that does have an undercoat, and a true longcoat that does not.
Is there any way to tell when they're puppies - visually?
GSD_Xander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Are you talking about the difference between a coatie and a stock coat? An experienced person such as a breeder who often has coaties pop up in his/her litters can tell fairly reliably from as young as 4 or 5 weeks old. But sometimes it's a wait and see game until they're a little older. Longer hair in and around the ears is a good indication, and some breeders can tell by the texture of the coat, it will feel softer than that of the littermates.

As far as telling the difference between a true longcoat and one with an undercoat, I have no idea, but I'd guess it would be more difficult. Puppies don't start to develop their adult coats until 4 or 5 months old.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

As Debbie said, coatie vs regular stock coat can usually be determined pretty young. Definitely by the time pups would be going to new homes.

As far as long stock coat vs true long coat (without an undercoat) I'm not sure how one would tell until the pup was much older and the undercoat was coming in (or wasn't). But 999 times out of 1000, probably more, it would be safe to assume the pup is a long stock coat. True long coats without undercoats are very, very rare. The vast majority of dogs termed "long coats" are actually long stock coats with an undercoat.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.