How do you keep a dog busy but calm after surgery? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default How do you keep a dog busy but calm after surgery?

When I first joined this forum two weeks ago, Brutus had just had a scrotal ablation. Tomorrow he gets his stitches out, but he still has 2 weeks of taking it easy ahead of him. The first week of his recovery, it was not too difficult to keep him quiet, the second week (which is the one that ends tomorrow) was a bit more challenging, and the vet prescribed him a sedative to help keep him still. Now his sedative is almost gone, and I am trying to brainstorm for ideas to entertain him, stimulate his mind, without allowing him to run, jump, or become excited. My other dog isn't helping matters either as he is eager to resume playing with Brutus. Does anyone have any ideas to offer in regard to ways to keep Brutus's mind occupied, during this recuperation time.
Germanshepherdlova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've had luck with a Kong, filled with peanut butter and then placed in the freezer so it all freezes. It sure has worked with my dogs to keep them busy but calm.
There are also "treat balls" where you can put kibble/treats in them and the dog has to work to get them out. (Never tried one of these, but I've heard good things)
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours faithful and true~ to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. ~unknown
CassandGunnar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

These are great ideas, but I really try to stay away from giving him treats/snacks, because he has a sensitive stomach. He has this big monkey-stuffed animal that is built tough for dogs, and I have had some luck with this because he loves stuffed animals, and will sit and chew on it for a while. The he gets into hyper mode, and wants to run. I feel so bad for him, having to sit around so much, when I know that he is feeling better, and wants to play. I take him for short walks around the block and he loves that. I just can't think of what else to do with him. I found this toy at the pet store, it was a stuffed animal squirrel family inside of their "house" which had a velcro flap that you put the squirrel's into the house through, and then close it up, it has these little holes in it, and the object was for the dog to figure out how to pull them out, well he figured this out in no time flat, and then ripped the squirrels to pieces. So much for that idea!
I don't know much about peanut butter, I did give him some when trying to give him his antibiotic, he did get diarrhea, but that could have been caused by the antibiotics. Is peanut butter generally ok for a dog with a sensitive stomach?

Last edited by Germanshepherdlova; 04-28-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Germanshepherdlova is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Can you have him do doggie push ups? I have Stosh do them when he gets the zoomies...sit, down, sit, down, etc. Maybe teach some tricks like spin one way, then rinse the other. Is tug ok? That wears him out too. You might try one of those food cubes that you put kibble in and they have to push it around to get it out.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.