Border Collie/German Shepherd Mix? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
JustMeLeslie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,116
Default Border Collie/German Shepherd Mix?

I am wondering if anyone on this board has any experience w/ this type of mix of dog. I don't have any experience with a collie. Is this a good mix of dog? Are they incredibly energetic you know having both the GSD and collie in them?

I know I shouldn't be looking at her, but I just stumbled across her on petfinder so that's why I am asking first. I know I should wait until Jamie is older, but nothing is definate. I am just inquiring about her. She is in a kill shelter is what scares me. She might have recently been spayed the worker wasn't for sure when she emailed me. I would imagine if she was recently spayed then she certainly isn't in any danger of be EU'd right?
I read the kill statistics on their site and it disturbed me deeply.

So any opinions on this? Any experience with this mix of dog? Any help would be appreciated! I didn't know where to put this so I hope it is ok here. Thanks.
__________________
Jamie Lee~blk GSD~6/24/10
Lola~mastiff mix~2/10/08
Samson~minpin~1/29/06
Grover~terrier mix~1/28/11
Victor~GSD~(RIP)

Last edited by JustMeLeslie; 03-23-2011 at 11:46 PM.
JustMeLeslie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-23-2011, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Emoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North DFW, TX
Posts: 9,567
Default

That's gonna be a smart, drivey, high energy dog.
__________________
Rocky vom Backyard- 12 years young
Kopper vom Felssclucht Bach - 3 years

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
JustMeLeslie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
That's gonna be a smart, drivey, high energy dog.

That's what I am afraid of. I don't want to get in over my head. Victor was a high energy type and no matter how much I walked, played or exercised him it was never enough. Jamie is nothing like he was as far as the energy goes and believe me I am not complaining.
__________________
Jamie Lee~blk GSD~6/24/10
Lola~mastiff mix~2/10/08
Samson~minpin~1/29/06
Grover~terrier mix~1/28/11
Victor~GSD~(RIP)
JustMeLeslie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
liv
Senior Member
 
liv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 486
Default

I believe KZoppa's Riley is a BC/GSD mix...
__________________
Liv

Kokoda - GSD - 31.03.09
Onyx - GSD - 05.09.09

The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there --Anonymous
liv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 12:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
JustMeLeslie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv View Post
I believe KZoppa's Riley is a BC/GSD mix...
Yes, I know Riley is BC/GSD mix, but she wasn't on tonight so I thought I would run it by everyone else. I will email her about it tonight as well. Thanks.
__________________
Jamie Lee~blk GSD~6/24/10
Lola~mastiff mix~2/10/08
Samson~minpin~1/29/06
Grover~terrier mix~1/28/11
Victor~GSD~(RIP)
JustMeLeslie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 12:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
DCluver33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,782
Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33
Default

I don't have experience with a BC/GSD mix, but I did have a pure bred BC and I currently have a BC/Aussie mix.
__________________
~Steph~

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
DCluver33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 12:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
KZoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 18,885
Default

Leslie, i JUST saw this thread. Riley is GSD/BC mix. He's 6 years old now and still bouncy and wants to play and have a good time. he's smart though he doesnt want anyone to know that. He was a pretty easy puppy considering the breeds he's mixed with, except he took a liking to destroying very expensive shoes. He is pretty mellow in the house though he'll run around with his tennis ball acting like a nutcase sometimes. Even when he was younger he was pretty good and calm. He would start getting twitchy if we hadnt been to the dog park in a couple days because he just wanted to run. he always had pretty good recall which we never trained him on though we need to work on it now. He did have a desire to chase the cats which he still does every now and then though he's cranky about it. we adopted him with no real knowledge of energy and drives and such and he's turned into a pretty great dog. he's just reactive with certain breeds from a bad experience when he was younger. before that he never had an issue though. Riley can go until he drops (and he's tried a few times) but he's also perfectly fine (even when we brought him home at 5 months old) to just lounge around. He isnt a really high maintance dog like you might expect. He definitely has that intense focus of a border collie when he zeroes in on something and his stance is often that of a border collie and he is FAST. Give him the room and something to chase and he is like lightning. He personally is accident prone but he's more drama queen. his build is all GSD though. He's about 70 lbs. I know i'm leaving out more so let me know if you want to know anything further. He's an alert dog. He ALWAYS lets me know when someone is at the door or pulling into the driveway. He does sometimes bark at random things. he's a good dog. I think the GSD kinda mellows out the BC.

BTW, he is perfectly fine with the cats inside. Outside they're fair game. He knows what he's allowed to do and whats not allowed. he just gets cranky when Shasta has been bugging him or faith wont stop rubbing on his nose.
__________________
http://www.KrystalZPhotography.weebly.com
www.KrystalZ.nerium.com
Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013

Last edited by KZoppa; 03-24-2011 at 12:46 AM.
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 12:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
JustMeLeslie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
Leslie, i JUST saw this thread. Riley is GSD/BC mix. He's 6 years old now and still bouncy and wants to play and have a good time. he's smart though he doesnt want anyone to know that. He was a pretty easy puppy considering the breeds he's mixed with, except he took a liking to destroying very expensive shoes. He is pretty mellow in the house though he'll run around with his tennis ball acting like a nutcase sometimes. Even when he was younger he was pretty good and calm. He would start getting twitchy if we hadnt been to the dog park in a couple days because he just wanted to run. he always had pretty good recall which we never trained him on though we need to work on it now. He did have a desire to chase the cats which he still does every now and then though he's cranky about it. we adopted him with no real knowledge of energy and drives and such and he's turned into a pretty great dog. he's just reactive with certain breeds from a bad experience when he was younger. before that he never had an issue though. Riley can go until he drops (and he's tried a few times) but he's also perfectly fine (even when we brought him home at 5 months old) to just lounge around. He isnt a really high maintance dog like you might expect. He definitely has that intense focus of a border collie when he zeroes in on something and his stance is often that of a border collie and he is FAST. Give him the room and something to chase and he is like lightning. He personally is accident prone but he's more drama queen. his build is all GSD though. He's about 70 lbs. I know i'm leaving out more so let me know if you want to know anything further. He's an alert dog. He ALWAYS lets me know when someone is at the door or pulling into the driveway. He does sometimes bark at random things. he's a good dog. I think the GSD kinda mellows out the BC.

Thanks Krystal. I was just going to email you.
I am just so worried b/c of the energy drive. Victor was so demanding and extremely high energy nothing I ever did was enough for him. I would exercise him heavily and it would not matter. With her being BC and GSD that is what I am so worried about. I emailed the shelter back and asked some more questions about her.

Also she is bobtailed. When I looked up BCs all the ones I found where tailed. Is it possible she is an Aussie then? Do BCs come with no tails?
__________________
Jamie Lee~blk GSD~6/24/10
Lola~mastiff mix~2/10/08
Samson~minpin~1/29/06
Grover~terrier mix~1/28/11
Victor~GSD~(RIP)
JustMeLeslie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 12:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
JustMeLeslie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCluver33 View Post
I don't have experience with a BC/GSD mix, but I did have a pure bred BC and I currently have a BC/Aussie mix.

extremely energetic? I mean Victor was of Czech/American&German showlines and nothing I ever did as far as exercise was ever enough so that is what I worry about. I could exhaust him out and 10 mins. later he was ready for more and he was extremely needy. I am just trying to find out some general characteristics of the BC.

Thanks, Steph. I appreciate it.
__________________
Jamie Lee~blk GSD~6/24/10
Lola~mastiff mix~2/10/08
Samson~minpin~1/29/06
Grover~terrier mix~1/28/11
Victor~GSD~(RIP)
JustMeLeslie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 01:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
KZoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 18,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeLeslie View Post
Thanks Krystal. I was just going to email you.
I am just so worried b/c of the energy drive. Victor was so demanding and extremely high energy nothing I ever did was enough for him. I would exercise him heavily and it would not matter. With her being BC and GSD that is what I am so worried about. I emailed the shelter back and asked some more questions about her.

Also she is bobtailed. When I looked up BCs all the ones I found where tailed. Is it possible she is an Aussie then? Do BCs come with no tails?

Borders are usually born with tails buts its been known to happen that they're born with bobbed. The same with aussies. There is also the possibility previous owners had her tail bobbed or she injured it and it needed to be bobbed. My uncle has a BC named Gracie. She's just over a year old now and has all the classic traits of a BC. My uncle is handicapped and he is able to satisfy her exercise needs. I think you could handle it. All the BC/GSD mixes i've been around have been great dogs. Smart and fun and love their people. Geramy got home from Iraq after a 10 month deployment in 2009 and Riley was SO excited to see him, his dinner came back up twice and he ate it each time before we could stop him. Riley was glued to Geramy's side for weeks after he got home. They're good dogs. Its worth a shot IMO. You're already used to the physical and mental needs for exercise. Same thing. Riley is a big boy, like i said with the GSD build. My uncles BC Gracie at last weight i knew of was about 45lbs and she's not getting any bigger.
__________________
http://www.KrystalZPhotography.weebly.com
www.KrystalZ.nerium.com
Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013

Last edited by KZoppa; 03-24-2011 at 01:02 AM.
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com