Snake bite treatment / prevention - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Snake bite treatment / prevention

Hello everyone,

I am hoping to get some insight to your experiances with snakes and your dogs. Up here in Chicago we only have small, completely harmless snakes for the most part. But, In April I'm camping 8 hours south were the forest service warns about copperheads and rattlers.

So, please share stories experiances regarding your dogs and snakes. I'm googling and was hoping to find a "potion" to bring with for on-site treatment, but have had no luck. most sites just say..rush the pet to the vet. i'll be 20 miles from civilization so rushing anywhere will be hard! haha

thanks

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
chicagojosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I own more than 30 snakes though they live in cages,lol First off most snakes are nocturnal and burrown during the day so day hikes shouldn't be a huge issue just keep your eyes open. At night I don't recommend blind walking though since that is prime feeding time. You can purchase anti venom but you'd have to be sure about the species or obviously it wouldn't be effective, it's expensive, and a pain to find. Your best bet is be careful and know where the nearest vet is- if your dog is bit they have time!!
Zoeys mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

hi Zoeys' mom,

you are the perfect person for this thread!!! ok, so during the day i did read up that they hide in bushes, under rocks etc..

how do you feel about me letting Cody off leash? he stays NEAR the trail, but will venture off a bit... would that be too risky? or probably ok since its day time?

if i put bells on his collar, would that help? i know snakes are bears lol but if they heard Cody coming maybe it would help?

you said if he does get bit he "has time". so are you talking about like a couple hours or a day? what if he got bit at dusk and the i cant get to the vet/they dont open until the next morning?

thanks a lot

Old 02-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

oh, do you know any good anit-venom websites? i could get the US forest service to provide me with exact breeds

Old 02-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

This is my first hand experience with snake bites and dogs. Here in my area, there can be copperheads, but hey are rare. The prairie rattlers are a little more common. On at least four occassions I have found them right by my house, front door, back door etc. That is just too close for comfort. (usually it's at that point the poor things pass away )

I've had three different dogs get snake bitten. I've never seen the actually occurance, but I've seen the end results. The first time it happened, I was allarmed, and panick stricken. It was my black lab, and he was probably about 40 lbs at the time. (he's not a big dog, at 10 years old he's only 50lbs now) They tend to have HUGE localized swelling around the site of the bite. Now I'm only guessing but I would guess that each time it was a rattle snake bite. (simply because I've seen them, and I haven't seen any copperheads around here first hand)

I called the vet, and their advice to me was, determine the bite location. That can have a significant part of the severity. The nose and the throat can really be a problem. Make sure he's comfortable, and is breathing well. I said that my lab was bitten on the side of the nose, and it was about the size of a football. They asked if he was breathing well, and I told them that he was. They said you can bring him in for us to look at him, but I'm guessing he will be alright.

I was really concerned, so I took him in. I was supprised that they didn't say "bring him in STAT!" I was supprised that they didn't run a battery of tests on him, and administer anti-venom. But that's not standard procedure in this vet clinic, for this area. They said without knowing the species and the amount of venom, it was really a crap shoot, and dogs can matabolize a dose of rattle snake venom that would be leathal to humans. So I just kept him comfortable, and he recoverd just fine in about a week, swelling went back down and now he's a fully recovered and a wiser dog. (he won't go anywhere near a snake, and when I find a snake skin he acts really skiddish around it untill he figures out it's just a skin, then he goes crazy with the KILL IT mode!)

I had a blue heeler get bit a few years later, about the same area. It seems that if a snake bites a dog, it's most likely going to be around the muzzel area somewhere, as dogs are enquisitive and are constantly sticking their noses places. I just loosened up her collar to insure she wouldn't have any pressure from the swelling there, and she was fine in about a week.

The last dog to have this happen was my current female PYR. I took some pictures of her.

She looks like a bull terrior in this photo. That's the swelling in the nose. I don't think she swelled up as much as the other two dogs did. Probably because of her weight and her matobilisim. (pyrs have a slower matobilisim than other breeds do)

This shot doesn't show the swelling quite as much. I would assume that the amount of venom injected could also have something to do with how much swelling occures.

Here she is a couple months later, no swelling.

I do recomend a vet visit if your dog gets snake bit. I would assume that a smaller dog is more in danger than a larger dog. I would assume that a rattle snake may not be as leathal as some other breeds of snakes, so it could well depend on what species of snake that bit the dog, what actions need to be taken. For me, and my three examples, I took one in, and they didnt give it anything, not even an asprin.

Now to prevent snake bites..... you can do like some people and just never let your dogs outside.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am by no means a snake expert...Zoey's Mom can correct me (please do if I'm wrong) but snakes don't lay in wait for someone or something to come walking past. They are shy and try to avoid contact. If your dog zeros in on an object - then you must react immediantly!

When I had working dogs, and they found a snake they would stop and start barking at it...the more they barked, (darting in at the snake) the more aggressive the snake became. The trick was to catch the dog as soon as they showed interest in an object and called them off.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Davey Benson...your poor dogs!!! your stories make me feel much better though. So, 3 of your dogs have been bitten and surived, no loss of limps, no disfigured face etc... good news!

Lillie, thanks for your input. If he starts to fixate on something I'll definitely call him off and/or go remove him from the area.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

No snakes don't try to attack animals they can't eat,lol that would be a waste of energy. Snakes also do not hear well they feel vibrations which is how they locate prey through movement and heat. So a bell may not be a good idea,lol just keep the pups out of bushes- a bite is not usually lethal from those species
Zoeys mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Chicagojosh -you can find boots for your dog as well, if you were really worried about copperheads. You can find them online - and (here in the south) they can be found at Bass Pro Shop and places that sell hunting supplies.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Benson View Post
This is my first hand experience with snake bites and dogs. Here in my area, there can be copperheads, but hey are rare. The prairie rattlers are a little more common. On at least four occassions I have found them right by my house, front door, back door etc. That is just too close for comfort. (usually it's at that point the poor things pass away )

I've had three different dogs get snake bitten. I've never seen the actually occurance, but I've seen the end results. The first time it happened, I was allarmed, and panick stricken. It was my black lab, and he was probably about 40 lbs at the time. (he's not a big dog, at 10 years old he's only 50lbs now) They tend to have HUGE localized swelling around the site of the bite. Now I'm only guessing but I would guess that each time it was a rattle snake bite. (simply because I've seen them, and I haven't seen any copperheads around here first hand)

I called the vet, and their advice to me was, determine the bite location. That can have a significant part of the severity. The nose and the throat can really be a problem. Make sure he's comfortable, and is breathing well. I said that my lab was bitten on the side of the nose, and it was about the size of a football. They asked if he was breathing well, and I told them that he was. They said you can bring him in for us to look at him, but I'm guessing he will be alright.

I was really concerned, so I took him in. I was supprised that they didn't say "bring him in STAT!" I was supprised that they didn't run a battery of tests on him, and administer anti-venom. But that's not standard procedure in this vet clinic, for this area. They said without knowing the species and the amount of venom, it was really a crap shoot, and dogs can matabolize a dose of rattle snake venom that would be leathal to humans. So I just kept him comfortable, and he recoverd just fine in about a week, swelling went back down and now he's a fully recovered and a wiser dog. (he won't go anywhere near a snake, and when I find a snake skin he acts really skiddish around it untill he figures out it's just a skin, then he goes crazy with the KILL IT mode!)

I had a blue heeler get bit a few years later, about the same area. It seems that if a snake bites a dog, it's most likely going to be around the muzzel area somewhere, as dogs are enquisitive and are constantly sticking their noses places. I just loosened up her collar to insure she wouldn't have any pressure from the swelling there, and she was fine in about a week.

The last dog to have this happen was my current female PYR. I took some pictures of her.

She looks like a bull terrior in this photo. That's the swelling in the nose. I don't think she swelled up as much as the other two dogs did. Probably because of her weight and her matobilisim. (pyrs have a slower matobilisim than other breeds do)

This shot doesn't show the swelling quite as much. I would assume that the amount of venom injected could also have something to do with how much swelling occures.

Here she is a couple months later, no swelling.

I do recomend a vet visit if your dog gets snake bit. I would assume that a smaller dog is more in danger than a larger dog. I would assume that a rattle snake may not be as leathal as some other breeds of snakes, so it could well depend on what species of snake that bit the dog, what actions need to be taken. For me, and my three examples, I took one in, and they didnt give it anything, not even an asprin.

Now to prevent snake bites..... you can do like some people and just never let your dogs outside.
Now you would have gotten your point across without the jab at the end. Since you opened that door I will point out that the fact that your dogs were bitten by snakes and you couldn't even determine WHEN it happened shows one of the big problems of keeping dogs outside unattended. So you can keep defending your business and lifestyle, but ultimately the way you keep some of your dogs is not the safest situation for them. I understand that they are working dogs-but don't try to insult those who care for their dogs differently.
Kris10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.