Silly question- do your dogs like each other? How do you know? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Silly question- do your dogs like each other? How do you know?

We adopted Osa a month ago and things have been going pretty well for the most part between her and Regen...but my husband I were talking and just wondering, how do you that two dogs actually like each other, not just tolerate each other?

Things we've seen that make us think that they like each other: Sleeping very close to each other, playing chase (reciprocal) on hikes, mouth-wrestling on their sides (very relaxed), playing tug with tails wagging.

Things that sometimes make us question whether Osa is just tolerating Regen: sometimes she growls when Regen wants to play for the umpteenth time or will walk away from her, and Regen seems to most often be the chaser, not the chase-ee in the backyard. Osa is almost a year older than Regen.

What do you look for in deciding if your dogs really enjoy each other's company?

Having two GSDs is wonderful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

You really know it, when one passes away after being together for years... and the other one looks for her for days afterwards.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sadly, I do not treat all my dogs equal and I think the GSD's pick that up. My 2 GSD are very spoiled, they practically joined at the hip. I take them out with me all the time.
I also have this dreadfully fat golden retriever mix that I shoved off to my husband lol and the other dogs really snub her. She doesn't interact with them and if she tries they bully her, then she gets bully them....you can feel the tension, and I think it is all my fault. (working on equality and Leadership training now)
Every one of the dogs treats my Great Dane like he is God and they even bring him toys to his bed while he is sleeping, like a sacrifice left at the alter.
so i would say that I know 3 out of 4 of my dogs get along well.
krystyne73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My Golden is the old man. He tolerates my GSD. He initiates all play, and when they play they play hard. When the Golden is done, the game is over and the toy remains with him...never to be stolen. During the game is a free for all, but when it's over, it's over.

My mini doxie is the princess. She ignores the boys and they fawn all over her. If she creeps in and takes the toy, there will be no attempt to take it back. She never plays with the Golden. When she is in the mood she'll play with the GSD. But that just mostly means the GSD can take her head in his mouth and hold it while she squeaks.

As my GSD matures, I've noticed the beginings of a small shift in power between the doxie and the GSD. There is a slight hesitation from the GSD now when she comes to demonstrate her power over the boys. I'm having to re-think some of our games.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Rocky and Cash were good buddies. Cash was the only dog who could entice the grumpy (not so) old man to play. They would lie close together and even sleep with their heads on each other on car trips. Scaredy-cat Rocky was a lot more confident with his big/little brother around. When Cash passed, a little something went out of Rocky. . . well went out of all of us really. I'm hoping he grows to love his new baby brother like that.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via MSN to VomBlack

Odin and Noire really seem to have a good bond with each other. I haven't really had any problems with Odin and other dogs, when we dog sit or foster he's more than happy to welcome a new dog into the house. Noire has been a bit more particular on what dogs she likes, but Odin apparently can do no wrong as far as she is concerned.. she puts up with all of his hyperactive antics, she will actually run around outside with him, and they often curl up together and sleep. It's really nice to see them like to be around each other almost as much as they like being around you. :P
Odin TT, CGC, TDI, RA, OFA H/E (2/13/09)

"Utility is the true criterion of beauty."
- Captain Max von Stephanitz
VomBlack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

By some odd twist of fate we ended up w/ two females that adore each other. We found Bella on the freeway and we guess she was about 4 months old, Mia was 8 months old. It was love at first sight. They play together, eat together and bring us tremendous joy. They kiss each other's muzzles when they greet each other. When I get home I sit on the floor and they both kiss my cheek and then kiss each other...quite charming.
JudynRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They've never had a fight. They share. They'll eat from the same dish at the same time. When one of them comes back from a walk or training the other one acts like they've just found their long lost relative.

They don't spend all of their time together but they definitely have a bond.

Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well Bianca is an "only child" right now (not counting the cats) but my previous two dogs definitely liked each other. They were not interested in playing together, neither one ever would wrestle or play chase or anything with other dogs. However I could tell they liked each other because of how they greeted each other, tolerated each other and how they behaved when they were separated (such as if we went to an event with two people each holding one dog, and we walked the dogs away from each other.)
Of course, my Golden was tolerant of everything and liked any dog she met, so really the main way I could tell that they were attached to each other was by the last point, how they acted when separated or when separated and then reunited.
The only time they ever growled is if my Golden had a REALLY good chewie/bone and my terrier approached and seemed like he wanted to take it. That was only with really high-value bones though, anything else my terrier could grab right out of her mouth if he wanted to.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Benson View Post
You really know it, when one passes away after being together for years... and the other one looks for her for days afterwards.
That's not always true, I recently lost my 17 year old Border Collie and my 12 year old Border Collie mix only looked for him for one day despite being with him and only him since she was 8 weeks old. they've never been separated until the day he died. Granted it may have helped that we have Dodger, but they're not as bonded as Chopper and Molly were. Molly would freak out if Chopper was on the other side of the gate, if I do that with Dodger she could care less.

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
DCluver33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.