Female vs. Male German Shepherds. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Female vs. Male German Shepherds.

All my life I have only been raised around male German Shepherds, so naturally when I got my first GSD puppy I got a male. After he passed away I got another male and adopted a male, so I have never owned a female GSD. I have a few questions to those who have owned both. I have heard this myth or fact I don't know, but I have heard that female dogs will listen to male owners better than female owners and vice versa with male dogs. My first dog Marshall always listened to me and never payed attention to my fiance'. When I was raising him though my fiance' didn't live with me at the time so basically the only command Marshall would listen to from Joseph was "Sit." When I got my next puppy GSD Riley he is a male, he listens to me better than he listens to Joseph. When we adopted our other GSD Apollo he was supposed to be Joseph's dog. Well, turns out Apollo doesn't really listen to Joseph, he will but he minds me better. We both work with the dogs and when Joseph is working with them with treats they mind him, but when no treats are involved they don't much.

Secondly, is there a masculine and feminine difference between males and females? I haven't ever really been around a female GSD so that's why I'm not totally sure. I know typically they weigh less than males.

And Thirdly, are females more caring and drive to please? I guess this could go with any dogs really? I know I was having a conversation with my cousin's wife over Thanksgiving and she said her husband would only have famale labs because he swears they are more eager to please. I don't know if any of this is true or just opinion. I'm sure it could be a little of both.
Heagler870 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010, 08:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well in our house, yes it's true- our female is much more obedient for my husband and our male is more obedient for me. She doesn't really give a rat's butt what about pleasing me, but the male just adores me, is much more affectionate in general and has been a lot easier to train. There's not only a difference is size and weight between the two, there's a definite difference in the overall masculine and feminine appearance. There's no doubt which one is the male
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heagler870 View Post
I have heard this myth or fact I don't know, but I have heard that female dogs will listen to male owners better than female owners and vice versa with male dogs.
In my case, this is true. I'm a single female and have owned a now 3 year old female since she was 3 months old. Her two favorite people on this earth are my ex-boyfriend and a male fellow rescue volunteer. When they are around, I don't exist despite the fact that I train, feed, walk and play with her every day. She may be weird though as she loves all men despite leaving with two females and not having much exposure to them. My male fosters, however, hang on my every word and could care less about the guys.

Quote:
Secondly, is there a masculine and feminine difference between males and females? I haven't ever really been around a female GSD so that's why I'm not totally sure. I know typically they weigh less than males.
I think most females just looks slimmer than males in the face as well as body. They have softer features too.

Quote:
And Thirdly, are females more caring and drive to please? I guess this could go with any dogs really? I know I was having a conversation with my cousin's wife over Thanksgiving and she said her husband would only have famale labs because he swears they are more eager to please. I don't know if any of this is true or just opinion. I'm sure it could be a little of both.
I think this depends. My male fosters definitely want to please me more than my Raven my female but she would do anything for her guys. I think the desire to please depends on the training and relationship between the handler and the dog.
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My female only listens to me. Anyone else she does if she has too. She pretty much ignores DH. I do think that males want to please more than females.

Yes, females are supposed to look feminine and males are supposed to be masculine. I believe that is in the breed standard.
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've only owned females...and they've all been way more bonded to their mom
Buddy-Sweet lap cat - Forever in my heart.
Baby - Crazy cat
Spencer - Eclectus parrot
Myamom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

1. Well at our house, our girl is Daddy's Princess- but he is also her handler. We have 4 males and those are evenly split between me and my husband as to who they listen to better. It seems to me that they listen best to who puts the time in with them and who best understands and responds to what they are trying to communicate.

Secondly. Yes. There is a definite difference between male and females and their should be. It's called secondary sex characteristics. From this website...
Illustrated Standard of the German Shepherd Dog, OVERALL STRUCTURE

Quote:
Secondary sex characteristics are also important. When a bloodline begins to degenerate, it seems that one of the first elements to go is sex definition. A male should look like a male, and act like one too. He can be twenty or more pounds heavier than the bitch, and he should have a proportionately larger, heavier skull, with a heavier neck and shoulders. He should also show a little swagger, a touch of canine machismo. Even a male on the smaller end of the scale can be intensely masculine if he has the attitude. The bitch will be smaller and more refined, but not in any sense of weakness. Femininity is not fragility. As usual, it is probably preferable to err on the side of strength. A very refined family may produce exquisite bitches, but it may also produce exquisite, effeminate males. Likewise, a family of strong, doggy bitches will probably also produce powerful, masculine males. The latter is preferable (Fig 8).

And for an example these are my 2 siblings (so same lines) male and female 10 months apart.

3. No. They're not. At least not any more than males- they're all individuals. The most biddable and compliant dog in my house is my 18 month old male. My female wants to please in OB for the most part...but can be stubborn as **** in some situations. I actually personally think that the females can be less forgiving in the training than the males. And they call them bitches for a reason....Just saying. Although I would say that the girls are fun to own and train too! Sometimes more of a challenge and they all come with personalities.
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

Tampa Bay Working Dog Club
JKlatsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 09:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

In the mornings...my husband calls Ava to go for a ride with him to take the kids to school (rides are her FAVORITE thing to do). She gets all excited...but WILL NOT go down the steps with him...keeps looking at me...and I have to tell her....it's ok..go ahead...lol.
They also won't leave the bedroom if mom is still asleep...no matter who else is up and about.
Definitely mom's girls...lol.
Buddy-Sweet lap cat - Forever in my heart.
Baby - Crazy cat
Spencer - Eclectus parrot
Myamom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm female and I have had both male and female GSDs. I get along with females MUCH better than the males. All of my dogs of both sexes listened to and bonded to ME. A dog not listening to a member of the household is not a matter of the sex of those involved, it is a training issue.

A dog having more of a desire to please has nothing to do with the sex of the dog and EVERYTHING to do with it's individual temperment.

I have found that females tend to be more serious, where as males act like perpetual puppies, like life is one big party/game. That is why I tend to like females better. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE puppies! BUT I want an adult dog to ACT like an adult, not a puppy.

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
BlackGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've got two females and a male. I think they all defer to me, but the male is more biddable and not so serious.

It really depends on the lines/temperament vs sex. My one female is large and looks like she could be male, though her head is not blocky. My other long coat female has a blocky head, so looks somewhat male too. My male looks MALE!
I personally prefer males.
I had two males (together), then a female and senior male together, then two females and a male(all together). All listened to me over my DH because I am the one that feeds, trains and plays for the most part.
But when DH is outside, they want to be out with him(feeding the chickens is a routine and the dogs look forward to it every night) They will obey him for the most part, but he doesn't give the German commands that I do in training, he tends to repeat his words before they comply.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've only had female GSD's and I have to say...my first GSD adored my boyfriend. My new GSD also adores my boyfriend...but will mostly listen to me. She is always seeking me out.

Yes, there are major differences between the males and females physically.

I do believe females are more apt to please and work harder for their handlers.
Pattycakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.