To you - what is too thin? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default To you - what is too thin?

Just popped into my head due to my crit. thread that this could be a good topic!

What do you consider too thin? I mean, if you're looking at a dog, what factors make a dog too thin to you?
Lacking muscle? Ribs, hips, spine showing?

If a dog's spine and every rib are showing, yet every muscle on the dog's body is easily showing and the dog is healthy and energetic, do you think it's underweight?

Here are some examples, different breed but I don't have permission from any GSD owners to use their pics..
You can see all of his ribs, and in some pics where he's running or something, his spine.. But look at the muscle tone. To me, this is a dog in great condition.

And then this shelter pup... His ribs and spine are showing the same as the above dog... However, do you see the muscle deterioration? The dog's body is taking nutrition from the muscles. that, to me, is an underweight dog.. Same skeletal structure showing, but there are other ways to tell if a dog is underweight. Look between the ribs, there is no muscle, not is there muscle on top of the ribs.. disgusting.

And check out this lab. Ribs highly visible. and spine in some pics, but check out the muscle on that boy.
http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/R...QYGI_IS4ql.jpg

Again - sorry I don't have GSD pics to use

With a lean dog, one with proper muscle, he's obviously getting proper nutrition to feed those muscles and keep him fit.. A skinny, or thin dog, would have obvious signs of being underfed - like weak or underdeveloped looking muscles. Regardless of bone showing... I know a little dog with a roached back that can have a pot belly and still show her spine.

My old shepherd, Mo, was certainly underweight. His ribs showed, his waist was sunken, his hips were very easily palpable (hidden by his fur), as was his spine. His muscles were deteriorated down to nothing. If he had good muscle mass and energy obviously I wouldn't have thought him underweight... He was 16 and dying for anyone wondering.

I keep no extra weight on my dogs. It serves no good purpose as my dogs are not outdoor dogs and don't need a layer of fat in the winter...

Now that I've given my thoughts on the matter, what are yours?

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.

Last edited by APBTLove; 10-14-2010 at 03:09 PM.
APBTLove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 03:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think it also depends on the breed of dog. Normally, I'd say that a dog such as the second pic, where there's minimal to no muscle tone, and the ribs/spine/hips are visible, then the dog is too thin. However, breeds such as Saukis have that bony look to them, and don't have an incredible amount of muscle mass as a bully breed, but all the ones I've seen were healthy.
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I won't comment on the second dog because that's obvious, but I think the second dog looks a little thin... Obviously well kept and has great muscle structure but a little body fat comes in handy if they get sick or food becomes unavailable temporarily for whatever reason.
If no fat is available on their body, it takes a toll on their muscles. A tiny bit of fat also helps with their stamina and endurance.
Jax's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

To me any dog with ALL their ribs showing is too thin, I don't care if they have good muscle tone-- I'd put a bit more weight on them. Even with greyhounds, they're not supposed to have every rib sticking out like that.
Chicagocanine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

IMO I think that the dog in the first picture can gain 5 pounds.

The second picture is sad and unhealthy of course.

I like my dogs lean, I want to be able to easily feel their ribs but I dont want to see them.

My GSD/Husky is 26' at the shoulder and he weighs about 70 pounds.
My GSD is 28' at the shoulder and he weighs 80 pounds.

The yellow dog is my friends

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13

Last edited by LaRen616; 10-14-2010 at 03:40 PM.
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I too would like to see a little more weight on the 1st dog, no matter how "tone" the body is.
The 2nd dog is without question in poor physical condition.
The 3rd dog (perhaps because of the pic), looks to have more weight for his proportions than either of the first 2.
I personally prefer a thinner, toned dog....but I do not want to be able to see most of it's body skeleton.
I think there is a fine line between being perceived "fit or actually being too thin".
JMO
robinhuerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I honestly think that the first dog is underweight. Yes, he has good muscle, but that's way too many ribs in my opinion.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

I like my dogs healthy.
That first dog does look a little thin, I think it could at least use a little more body fat than the 0% it looks like it has. He does look healthy, just think there's nothing wrong with a small amount of fat on a dog.

Sobacca gets a lot of "he's chunky" comments -- he eats less than a cup of food a day, is muscular, energetic, and isn't fat...he's just a shorter, stockier dog (sort of a bully breed body, with being more stout then thin). And I can feel his ribs. And considering he can run 4-8 miles with me at 4 years old, I would say he's healthy.

Minna gets comments on how thin she is - which I agree she is, but that's just her body. You can see/feel most of her ribs. But she is healthy, she eats 4ish cups of food a day....gets a lot of exercise and has a lot of energy (sometimes I wish she had a little less energy).

I think dogs are sort of like people in this respect....they all have different body types and what's considered "healthy" for that specific person. So just because a dog may look thin to me (like the dog in that first picture) doesn't necessarily mean the dog is too thin for what's healthy for him...does that make sense?
Old 10-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just my personal preference on what I consider healthy, but ribs easily felt but not seen is the best weight/body type if you ask me. Maybe a rib or two showing when breathing, but that's still on the thin side.

I'm all for keeping a dog lean and mean, but once a couple ribs are showing, I think a they can use a couple more pounds no matter how toned they are.

With regards to your pictures, the first dog could probably gain a good 5 pounds and still be in great shape. The second picture is just not healthy at all for obvious reasons, but you don't even need to look below the neck to know that. Just look at that face.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Before I read all the answers, the first dog was in showing shape - conditioned. Meaning top shape. For a pet I'd keep them heavier..

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
APBTLove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.