Did this really happen or is it just an urban legend? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Did this really happen or is it just an urban legend?

After being bashed by Army Wives for saying that something seriously is wrong with a country that allows criminals to sue over the victim for getting bitten in a house where THEY broke into I am trying to find out if this actually happened or not.

Somebody wrote that people crate their dogs (yeah, yeah i know, the crating thing, once again) because they fear that somebody might break in and sue them over for getting bitten. That is when I said that there is seriously something wrong with a country (any country for that matter) if they'd allow that to happen.

I've been googling for two hours and couldn't find any news on this case. I've been checking snoopes too but couldn't find anything either. So is it true? Did it happen? Did a burglar get bit by a dog, sued over the owners and won?
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't know about that one, but I heard one where a thief fell through a sky light onto a kitchen knife, sued, and won. That might be an urban legend as well.
PDXDeutschhund is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Try checking snopes.com: Urban Legends Reference Pages
Old 10-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
I couldn't find anything on snopes either. I think I remember that somebody on here talked about that too. In that topic where people said that the beware of a dog sign would be a bad idea since it proofs that your dog is being aggressive and you knew all along.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lin
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin

I've heard one about a burglar that got trapped in the garage, and lived off dog food and pepsi until the owners came home from vacation.. Then sued and won.

But I think if you were stuck in a garage you could find something to break down a door with?
Lin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2010, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
I've heard one about a burglar that got trapped in the garage, and lived off dog food and pepsi until the owners came home from vacation.. Then sued and won.

But I think if you were stuck in a garage you could find something to break down a door with?
that one I found on snopes, it's a legend.

there is a whole list that came out in 2001 but they are all legends.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I agree with you completely.
In Canada it's illegal to set bear traps on your own property lest a person trespass and get hurt in one.
Check this out: David Chen trial: Anthony Bennett stays in jail | Posted Toronto | National Post Storeowner gets arrested for chasing down a thief, tying him up and holding him in his van till police showed up... The storeowner also got weapons charges because he had a box cutter in his pocket.
I'm getting soooo sick and tired of everyone having rights to everything except living without the fear of being sued. I miss violence, I'd much rather be punched in the face if I wrong someone than spend the rest of my life being sued or paying out the nose in insurance.
Jax's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post

If you are that stupid to get stuck inside a garage then you really deserve to be beat with a pipe. Most garages have a garage door opener with a controller inside the garage. Even if the garage door is manual it still can be unlocked and opened from the inside.

I really hope this is an UL.
DharmasMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2010, 10:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
vat
Knighted Member

I am not sure if it really happened but I do know that criminals here sue for stupid crap and win! So I can only imagine that yes a criminal can sue you if your dog bites while he is ripping you off.

Shewana's Maximum Velocity (aka Max)
Shewana's Hot-Spice (aka Callan)

Kaycee 11/97-5/10
Rio 10/08-2/10

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.
vat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

like my dad a vietnam vet alwasy said a good old swift ass whooping never did no harm , just taught a good lesson , but now days every one is worried about fellings and hurting them , come one
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.