Did this really happen or is it just an urban legend? - Page 8 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
someone with a knife, 20 feet away, can kill you before you even have a chance to draw a weapon. what my husband was taught in the police academy....

I can believe that. Which is why you don't shoot at someone hoping to just wound them. You may not get another shot before they get to you. While I hope that I am never in that position, I am prepared to do what I have to do in the event that my home or family is in danger.
Cats - Cricket, Mickey, Spartacus, Tiger, Josie, Ashton, Lily, Drake, Cooper, Tucker & Hank
arby665 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #72 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well, we're not allowed to defend ourselves like that in Canada ...

Here's an article from 2011:

I bolded the interesting parts!

Ian Thomson moved to a rural homestead in Southwestern Ontario to lead a quiet life investing in a little fixer-upper. Then his neighbour’s chickens began showing up on his property. He warned his neighbour, then killed one of the birds.
The incident began six years of trouble for Mr. Thomson that culminated early one Sunday morning last August when the 53-year-old former mobile-crane operator woke up to the sound of three masked men firebombing his Port Colborne, Ont., home.
“I was horrified,” he said. “I couldn’t believe it. I didn’t know what was happening. I had no idea what was going on.”
So Mr. Thomson, a former firearms instructor, grabbed one of his Smith & Wesson revolvers from his safe, loaded it and headed outside dressed in only his underwear.
“He exited his house and fired his revolver two, maybe three times, we’re not sure. Then these firebombing culprits, they ran off,” said his lawyer, Edward Burlew.
His surveillance cameras caught the attackers lobbing at least six Molotov cocktails at his house and bombing his doghouse, singeing one of his Siberian Huskies. But when Mr. Thomson handed the video footage to Niagara Regional Police, he found himself charged with careless use of a firearm.
The local Crown attorney’s office later laid a charge of pointing a firearm, along with two counts of careless storage of a firearm. The Crown has recommended Mr. Thomson go to jail, his lawyer said.
His collection of seven guns, five pistols and two rifles was seized, along with his firearms licence. Mr. Thomson said he lives in fear that his attackers will return and has taken to arming himself with a fire extinguisher.
“I don’t have enemies,” said the soft-spoken man, who now studies environmental geosciences full-time at Brock University after being injured in a workplace accident. “I don’t know that many people. I’m a quiet man. I just want to go back to my life and be able to live out my days in relative peace.”
Mr. Thomson’s is the latest in a series of high-profile cases in which people have been charged after defending their homes and businesses against criminals. Central Alberta farmer Brian Knight became a local hero after shooting a thief who was trying to steal his ATV. He pleaded guilty to criminal negligence earlier this month. In October, Toronto shopkeeper David Chen was acquitted of forcible confinement charges after he tied up a repeat shoplifter and demanded he stop raiding his grocery store.
Their cases are renewing calls for Canada to introduce a version of the “Castle Doctrine” found in many U.S. states, which allows citizens to defend their property with force.
“I hear some people, some being police officers, some being Crown attorneys, some being ordinary people, say we don’t want vigilantism, to which I can only give an emphatic pardon me?” Mr. Burlew said. “When you’re under attack, it’s not a vigilante act. Vigilantism talks about vengeance and retribution. This is about saving your life and saving your property.
“I’m sure that will be recognized at trial, but why would a citizen, where it’s so obvious that what he was doing was protecting himself during a continued attack, be put to the expense of a trial? It’s demeaning.”
Canada allows people to claim self-defence for using force, including guns, to protect their life as long as the force is reasonable and they believe they have no other options.
“If the public are wondering can you run out of your house and [fire a handgun at an intruder], the bottom line is, according to the laws of Canada, no, you can’t,” said Constable Nilan Dave of the Niagara Regional Police Service, which charged Mr. Thomson. “That’s why the courts are there, to give a person an opportunity to explain their actions.”
Mr. Burlew, a Toronto-area lawyer whose practice mainly consists of firearms-related charges, said he is trying to hire a psychiatrist to prove that Mr. Thomson feared for his life when he grabbed his revolver. A target shooter and hunting-safety instructor, Mr. Thomson had the skill to shoot his attackers if he’d wanted to, Mr. Burlew said, but missed on purpose.
Police said no one was injured in the shooting and the attackers got into a car and sped off. They charged Randy Weaver, 48, of Port Colborne, and Justin Lee, 19, of Welland, with arson in December, alleging the men and a third suspect “intentionally set the home on fire while the homeowner was inside.”
Mr. Thomson’s neighbour, who had received a suspended sentence for uttering threats against Mr. Thomson in 2007, has not been charged in connection with the attack on his house.
Mr. Thomson said he has added extra security to his home after the firebombing and hardly sleeps anymore. The charges, he said, have destroyed him.
“This is just an absolute nightmare, this whole thing,” he said. “People need to know that this is what can happen to you and which side of the victim line do you want to stand on? Lying down dead or in court? That’s the way it seems it has to go.”
Old 12-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #73 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Kyleigh;2649523]Well, we're not allowed to defend ourselves like that in Canada ... while you might get acquitted, you're certainly going to have to go to court to prove that you were acting in self-defense ... and even then, you might not win!

Wow! What a crock of **** !
Cats - Cricket, Mickey, Spartacus, Tiger, Josie, Ashton, Lily, Drake, Cooper, Tucker & Hank

Last edited by Castlemaid; 12-07-2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Pseudo-swearing
Old 12-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #74 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I lived in Washington state all of my life and the last two years were **** with obnoxious college kids as neighbors. One night one of the boys were drunk and in my yard. I called the police and then told the kid, through my window he had 60 seconds to get the *bleep* out of my yard before I let the dogs out. When the police arrived, I explained what I had said and asked what the laws were there.

Their answer was that if I had let the dogs out and they bit the kid, he could sue me, however they were not likely to win.

Normally, I let the dogs out first anyway. The kid was lucky that I heard him out there before I had let them out. I was lucky too, as having heard him helped me to avoid the hassle of going through the red tape of not only a lawsuit, but the fear of having my dogs labeled as dangerous, which is always a possibility when a dog bites, no matter the reason.

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Zisso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #75 (permalink)
Master Member

I had to check. Ohio does have "Castle Law" since 2008. Yay!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #76 (permalink)

"Castle Doctrine"! Here in NC the law has changed (you used to have to drag the bad guy into the house after you shot him, now you just have to be able to articulate how come you felt he was a threat to you or your family). Voice of experience, "Cops are trained to shoot to kill, not wound. Real life is not the movies and we don't wing'em."
rangersdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #77 (permalink)

If you're in your own house and counting on your dog to protect you/bite an intruder your strategy sucks. If your walking your dog and a bad guy trys to harm you and your counting on your dog to protect you (bite), your strategy sucks.

My GSD is nothing more than my first alert siren going off, warning me that something is wrong. At that point your dog has done his/her job, alerting you and giving more time to react than you would have had without the dog, after that you better have your own plan. I wouldn't want my dog biting anyone, even an intruder, bark, growl and look really mean then get out of my way. If your dog bites someone you may or may not get sued your dog may or may not get hurt or taken away from you, why take that chance? I'm responsible for my safety and my dogs safety, we're a team and I need to do the heavy lifting.

In my house its almost impossible (I think) to get even close to my home without my dog knowing you're there. If he knows the bad guy is there and the bad guy knows the dog Is there and still comes in, my dog won't stand much of a chance biting is a moot point.

I know this was more if a "what if my dog bite an intruder question" I'm just saying I hope my dog never bites anyone, it will never turnout good.
Runamuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #78 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamuk View Post
If you're in your own house and counting on your dog to protect you/bite an intruder your strategy sucks. If your walking your dog and a bad guy trys to harm you and your counting on your dog to protect you (bite), your strategy sucks.

My GSD is nothing more than my first alert siren going off, warning me that something is wrong. At that point your dog has done his/her job, alerting you and giving more time to react than you would have had without the dog, after that you better have your own plan. I wouldn't want my dog biting anyone, even an intruder, bark, growl and look really mean then get out of my way. If your dog bites someone you may or may not get sued your dog may or may not get hurt or taken away from you, why take that chance? I'm responsible for my safety and my dogs safety, we're a team and I need to do the heavy lifting.

In my house its almost impossible (I think) to get even close to my home without my dog knowing you're there. If he knows the bad guy is there and the bad guy knows the dog Is there and still comes in, my dog won't stand much of a chance biting is a moot point.

I know this was more if a "what if my dog bite an intruder question" I'm just saying I hope my dog never bites anyone, it will never turnout good.
some one breaks into my house is the exact time i would want my gsd, kyra, to bite mall, kill or whatever. if i am working the night shift, i would hope some one in the house ,while she is buying time, dials 911.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #79 (permalink)

A couple about 5 houses down just moved into the neighborhood. I have not met them and I have not met their dog. A couple of days ago I was walking past their house and there was one heck of a commotion going on inside that house. The people were not home and I could hear what sounded like a ferocious dog about to tear the door down. As I kept walking the dog went to a window and moved the blinds so I could see him/her. It turned out to be one big **** GSD. It did not look like it was playing. I'm wondering who in their right mind would ever attempt to try to go into that house? This is what I am hoping to accomplish with my GSD when she is old enough. Minus the slamming against the door. I think I would rather have a gun pointed at me than have a dog coming after me. But...1) I have never had a gun pointed at me. Perhaps I would crap my pants. 2) I have been mauled by a dog.

Last edited by Castlemaid; 12-07-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Pseudo-swearing.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #80 (permalink)
Knighted Member

But if you kill the burglar you are Ok it seems like.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.