How do "REHOMED" dogs "adjust" to the new situation? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How do "REHOMED" dogs "adjust" to the new situation?

When we got our husky, we heard literally everything.
Some people said to just leave the dog in a small room and give him food in there, let him sleep there, and only take him out of there to poo and pee.

From Leerburg, I read that only one person should make any sort of contact or interaction with the dog, and that is should be crated at all times unless I am there and that I do not pet it, i only give it food and water. Only one family member can interact with it.

Other dog owners said to just let it have free run of the house and let it "bond" with you.

Some dog owners said to start training them from the first day to make sure they know their position in the pack from the first time they step in the door.

So please tell, what is the proper way to introduce and settle a rehomed dog?
GSDwetkissies92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I just got my GSD/Husky mix Rogue a little over 2 weeks ago. He is 1.5 years old.

When I went to meet/pick him up I brought treats with me so that I could give them to him and get him comfortable with me but he wasn't interested in them. He sniffed me and that was it.

I had my friend drive the car while I sat in the backseat with him, he was terrified, he hated car rides so he drooled all over me and tried to sit in my lap but he settled with just having half his body lay across me.

When we got home I had my ex meet me there incase a fight broke out between my new dog and my other dog. My ex walked the new dog down the alley and I went in and got my other dog. At first they growled and barked but after we walked them together everything was good. I brought him inside while he was still on his leash and introduced him to the cats. Once he showed no interest in them I put the cats in a room and shut the door and I took him off of his leash.

I made sure to pet, feed, walk, crate and treat both dogs at the same time so they didn't feel like I liked one more than the other.

I had my ex take my dog a couple of times to his house for a couple of hours so that I could spend one on one time with the new dog. I made sure to work on sit and lay down (he was very rusty on that) I gave him hugs and treats and I brushed him and called him by his new name about a billion times. I played with him and I walked him.

We bonded very fast. I love him to death. He is a fast learner and he caught onto our routine right away.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

My family adopted a 2 year old husky when I was a kid. She was GREAT! We never had any problems with her around other dogs or kids (obviously) and I was only 6 or 7. I would roller skate and she would pull me all the time. We had a great time.

I dont really know anything about training them but we never did anything special to her or for her. We just played with her fed her and loved her.

Good luck
Narny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

All of my little dogs have been rescue dogs. I never gave them time to 'adjust'. I let them know the rules of the house & gave them unconditional love. They aren't guests, they are members of the family now. The only adjustments were made by me and that was allowing mistakes from them. Not assuming because they are older dogs that they are already trained. We always start at the beginning.

The hard part is having to take a crash course on their personalities and behaviors. So you have to be very deligent about watching them and learning from them. When you raise a dog it all comes with time. But when you take an older dog into your home it is up to you to learn all you can as fast as you can be the best leader for your new dog.

Congrats!
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This is the same thing I go through every time I bring in a new foster dog. All new fosters are crated when I'm not home and at night until I get to know them and feel I can trust them both with potential destructive behavior and with housebreaking. I keep them crated during meals just to prevent any dog fights with my dogs. I watch them like a hawk initially when I'm home to prevent any bad behavior.

Depending on the dog, most of them I start taking out for walks right away as most of them are desperate for exercise and it's a good bonding time and I can start teaching good manners.

The freaked out, shy dogs, I take out for walks, but pretty much leave alone in the house for a few days to give them time to settle down. The more well adjusted dog, I will start playing with right away and don't limit people contact.

I'm not a fan of most of the Leerburg advice. As for what is the right way to deal with a new dog? The answer is that it totally depends on the dog and you have to play it by ear.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well, Grendel reacted to being rehomed by rolling on her back and playing "bitesies" and then "tag" with Lycan. Lycan reacted to being rehomed by charging around the house checking out everything. digging into the garbage and chasing the cat. Allie reacted by coming in and jumping on the bed for a nap. Sweep has been the only one slow to adjust and she's a special case.

Jelpy and the mesquite mafia
Old 09-15-2010, 07:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
vat
Knighted Member

I am glad this was brought up as I am thinking of bringing in an older dog.

Shewana's Maximum Velocity (aka Max)
Shewana's Hot-Spice (aka Callan)

Kaycee 11/97-5/10
Rio 10/08-2/10

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.
vat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Crating until the dog is proven safe to left alone and housebroken.
Lots of fun walks.
Obedience classes.
BlackPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2010, 04:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hi,
Here's a link explaining a good protocol for newly adopted GSD.

BrightStar German*Shepherd Rescue, Rochester, NY
Mary Jane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2010, 01:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

I got Jericho when he was almost 7 months old and he was taken strait to the backyard when we got home so he could frist off go to the bathroom if needed and so he could get the scents of our other dog. Then introduced them let them play and he slept with me in my room. He had little to no interaction with anyone before I got him so training was pretty nowhere to be found so thats where I started he learned sit and the biting was not cool and it all kinda fell together from there.
WolfCrest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.