Coyotes vs. a GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010, 01:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Coyotes vs. a GSD?

We now in southern Ontario are becoming over-run with packs of coyotes. Since I have some acreage and let my three guys (GSD, Border Collie, Sheltie) stretch their legs daily, am kinda worried about the possibility of the coyotes attacking them. I do carry a gun but sometimes I loose sight of them.

Is this something I should fret about? I can hear the coyotes howling out back as I type this.

Anyone else ever heard of coyotes attacking large dogs?

I know coyotes will hunt cats and little dogs. My Sheltie is just a little guy and is eleven. He is never out without his brothers.
Ranger, GSD. 1
In Heaven
Flagg. Sheltie 1970-1984
Nitro. GSD 1999-2010
Garm. Rottie 1990-1999
Mike. Border Collie 1988-2001
Dad 1928-2008
Mom 1929-2009
I miss you all so very much!
Dennq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 01:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You need to be careful with coyotes especially if you have a curious dog. One on one a GSD may be able to hold their own, but coyotes are smart. They're very good hunters.

One will appear out of no where and bait your dog to play with it. It will get your dog to follow it into the woods where the rest of it's pack is waiting and your dog goes from being a pet to being a coyote meal.

This is actually a really good youtube video of what i'm talking about.

Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 01:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennq View Post
Anyone else ever heard of coyotes attacking large dogs?
I remember hearing about a pair of Labbies killed by a pack of coyotes when they got ahead of their owner cross country skiing in (I think) Cattaraugus county New York a few years ago. I seem to recall that he was armed, and got a few shots off, but it was already too late. I couldn't find an article referring to this incident.

A GSD is bigger than a Lab, but coyotes are pretty **** bold when they are in packs.
Uniballer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 01:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I do carry a gun but sometimes I loose sight of them.
I do a lot of off-leash hiking with my dogs on our property (74 acres) and our neighbor's adjoining property (105 acres, with neighbor's permission) and I NEVER loose sight of my dogs. They don't get to be so far away from me that I cannot see them - that's a safety issue. IMHO it's also a training issue - they should be close enough to where I can see them.

In my area, we have A LOT of coyotes. They do bother our neighbor a lot more than they bother us, primarily because our neighbor raises and keeps wool sheep. He has, on several occasions, caught coyotes right inside his barn, or outside in his sheep pasture around dawn. That seems to be when they are most active.

Early fall last year we had a big issue with a female who had pups and would actually come out in the middle of the day. When the neighbor was haying one of his fields, she was out in the field, catching/eating mice that were chased up by the tractor. Middle of the day with people working in the field.

We started having much less of a coyote issue when we started hunting them on request of our neighbor after they'd killed several of his sheep within a short period of time. Once we started shooting them, they moved on, although we still sometimes hear them at night, though not nearly as close as they used to come.

Our coyotes here are approximately the size of my Malinois and very similar in coloring to my Shepherd. As they're known to attack sheep - which are taller and heavier than either of my dogs - I don't think they'd shy away from attacking "large" dogs. Actually, there was a case here in NY this summer where a pack of coyotes attacked a young girl (I believe she was 6 years old?) in front of her house!

AbbyK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 01:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Wow you can see the coyote looking at his pack over his shoulder.
Ranger, GSD. 1
In Heaven
Flagg. Sheltie 1970-1984
Nitro. GSD 1999-2010
Garm. Rottie 1990-1999
Dad 1928-2008
Mom 1929-2009
Old 09-06-2010, 01:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Coyotes are dangerous so yes.... you should be worried. Very worried. Health departments and shelters are getting more and more calls regarding coyotes and attacks and the like. Coyotes are also showing up more when tested to have rabies. The rule of thumb is to not allow smaller animals outside after dark. If you have a garage they can go potty in and you can clean it up in the morning, do that. Coyotes are extremely intelligent, excellent hunters and opportunistic. They'll take whatever they can get, the easier the better. Your GSD may be able to take on a coyote and your collie could probably hold his own pretty well but i can promise the sheltie would lose whether he's got protectors or not. If you truly do have a pack of coyotes nearby, NONE of your dogs should be allowed outside after dark without serious supervision. Its asking for trouble. Flood lights help as coyotes are nocturnal and would prefer to stay in the safety of the dark when hunting.
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 01:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

I forgot to put away my chickens the other night and lost fifteen Barnvelders and Welsummers. Kinda hard to get.

Neighbors suggested I leave the dogs out at night but I like my guys in the house with me at night.

My geese and ducks are smart and stay in the pond and they know they are safe there.
Ranger, GSD. 1
In Heaven
Flagg. Sheltie 1970-1984
Nitro. GSD 1999-2010
Garm. Rottie 1990-1999
Dad 1928-2008
Mom 1929-2009
Old 09-06-2010, 02:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Get some firecrackers the loud pop kind. Like blackcats or the red ones with a green fuse. We have them here too. Even been in the yard. We can hear them most nights. When there real close I light and toss these off the pourch. They sound JUS like gun shots. 100% of the time they stop midd yodle and we don't hear them for the rest of the night and no one gets killed. No one gets hurt. I have a huge sack of them thell last till the next 4th of july. If these cototes have been hunted the should run.
BANDIT~CHI/YORKIE
GABE~RAT TERRIE/CORGIE
ANGLE~RAT TERRIER/CORGIE
PEPPER~RAT TERRIER
HONEY~CHIHUHUHA
REBA~ENGLISH BULLDOG
OLIVER~MUTT
CHEWIE~POM MIX
LEVI~PAP/CHI
SISSY~MUTT
LUCY~WHENIER MIX
ChristenHolden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristenHolden View Post
Get some firecrackers the loud pop kind. Like blackcats or the red ones with a green fuse. We have them here too. Even been in the yard. We can hear them most nights. When there real close I light and toss these off the pourch. They sound JUS like gun shots. 100% of the time they stop midd yodle and we don't hear them for the rest of the night and no one gets killed. No one gets hurt. I have a huge sack of them thell last till the next 4th of july. If these cototes have been hunted the should run.
I wish we could still buy forecrackers here! Our government like to do all our thinking for us here.

Oh the childhood memories.
Ranger, GSD. 1
In Heaven
Flagg. Sheltie 1970-1984
Nitro. GSD 1999-2010
Garm. Rottie 1990-1999
Dad 1928-2008
Mom 1929-2009
Old 09-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A pack of coyotes killed a 90 lb Weimeraner down the street from me earlier this spring. I saw one tracking me and Wolfie on a walk around that same time. We live in a busy suburb, so no guns, or firecrackers are allowed. I carry pepper spray, keep away from the woodsy areas, and keep my eyes open
Wolfiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.