Coyotes vs. a GSD? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955

Oh, and I forgot to say that one of our neighborhood coyotes has mange. It is a sorry looking thing and I wouldn't want it getting too close to my baby even if it wouldn't hurt her.
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
paulag1955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miikkas mom View Post
Last month, DH and I took a little trip up to Rocky Mountain National Park. We stayed at a resort in Estes Park, CO. I noticed an animal coming at us. At first I thought is was a loose dog. Then my husband said it was a coyote. I took a picture of it before running away

I'm from Colorado Springs orginally and when i was living at home while hubby was deployed, i was driving down the street and had a pack of coyotes rush out in front of me. My dog Zena was in the car with me and went nuts growing and barking at them, fur faised. Man she was feirce. Glad she was on my side...and in the car. Went home and told my father in law i knew why neighborhood cats and dogs were going missing and that there was a pack of coyotes that had apparently taken up residence. We lived out in a busy area but there were wooded areas and such all over the neighborhood. Needless to say, i stopped my nightly walks with the dogs (i was also pregnant and running not a possible thing at the time). We noticed a major decrease in deer and fox sitings. There are TONS of little kids that live in that neighborhood too.
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #23 (permalink)

Recent trail cam pics of "yotes not 50 yards from the house.
Attached Thumbnails
Coyotes vs. a GSD?-im000019-2-.jpg   Coyotes vs. a GSD?-im000035-2-.jpg   Coyotes vs. a GSD?-im000036-2-.jpg  
Ranger, GSD. 1
In Heaven
Flagg. Sheltie 1970-1984
Nitro. GSD 1999-2010
Garm. Rottie 1990-1999
Mike. Border Collie 1988-2001
Dad 1928-2008
Mom 1929-2009
I miss you all so very much!
Dennq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Jessiewessie99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jessiewessie99 Send a message via Skype™ to Jessiewessie99

I live in the city but there are have been reports of coyotes at El Dorado Park(its a huge park with nature walk and stuff) people's dogs were snatched, mostly they take little dogs, but they have probably taken down big dogs too. The shelter I volunteer at is right next to the Nature Center and El Dorado Park. Scary thought.

I have an aunt who lives in the desert where coyotes are common.She used to have Great Danes, but now she has a Min Pin/Chi Mix, and a Maltese/Chi Mix. I remember one time we were up visiting her and my cousins. My sister, and my cousins went bike riding at night(I know stupid) and eventually they came back like 20 minutes later running into the house breathing heavily. We asked them why they were running, te told us they were being chased by coyotes. Anothr time I was up there we went to the cemetary where Roy Rogers is buried and heard a coyote howl.

We haven't heard of them getting close to the houses only at El Dorado Park and the Nature Center.

Molly-GSD ✔ Certified Ninja Dog
Tanner-GSD ✔ Certified Lovebug
RIP:
Max & Simba
"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible."-George Chakiris, as said by Agent Derek Mogan
Jessiewessie99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I live next to a golf course, and sometimes I can hear the coyotes at night. I saw one, at dusk, standing on the side of the road about a mile south of me one time.

Anyway, I was reading the coyote discussion on the forum around lunch time today, and decided to go get some food. As we were driving by the golf course I saw a coyote standing near the water hazard. I was amazed. I mean it was noon! I was really spooked when I saw it, having just read all about coyotes earlier!

On the way back from eating I looked over at the course again, and it was still there. What?

So we pulled in and took a closer look. It was a cardboard cutout of a coyote, on a stake, stuck in the ground. Apparently to keep the geese out of the water hazard.

Not so sure why we need cardboard coyotes, when we have them on the golf course for real!

Carly ~ AKC Champion, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch. pointed (13 pts - chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ the big boy
Zelda ~ 14 yo Italian Greyhound, puppymill rescue
Mimi ~ the meezer
dogfaeries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I live in Chicago and coyotes are actually very common in the city here. A few years ago there was a study on urban coyotes in Chicago, and they caught and tagged over 200 coyotes and estimate there could be several thousand, and that they are living in every part of the city even around apartment complexes and downtown. They are very secretive here though and a lot of people never see one. I've seen a few in the suburbs and a pair in a city cemetery. I know they're in my neighborhood as I have a friend who saw one about a half mile from me. She walks her Dobes before dawn and one day she saw a coyote just walking down the street nonchalantly.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:57 PM   #27 (permalink)

A full grown coyote will easily kill a grown GSD. One got in a friend's pen that had three grown dobes in it and killed two and chewed up the other.

At the Bridge: Chico and Atja
alaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 11:12 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaman View Post
A full grown coyote will easily kill a grown GSD. One got in a friend's pen that had three grown dobes in it and killed two and chewed up the other.
Sounds like a bit of a generalization. This depends on the coyote and the GSD. The coyotes around here are rather small. The big males max out at a little over 50 pounds. Not much of a challenge for a 90 pound GSD. But, as posters already mentioned, they do bait and hunt in packs. When the winters are tough and food is scarce, they can bring down an adult deer.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:27 PM   #29 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mike K

watch out for these dont mistake it .

Mike K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2010, 11:36 PM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
watch out for these dont mistake it .

is that a wolf?!

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
DCluver33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.