GSD coat smell and shedding - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #21 (permalink)

I have had 8 gsd's over the years, and none of them 'smelled' unless they decided to roll in something stinky

They DO SHED ALOT, yes you get a couple of big 'blows' twice a year, but they are constantly losing 'some' fur. They don't call them German Shedders for nothing

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #22 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have had long coats aka plush and regular short coat GSD's over the years. IMO long coats shed less than short. In my picture the 2 big dogs are Shiloh Shepherds and the little white is a GSD there is a lot more little white hairs around than black or brown.
If you have wall to wall carpet you will have more problems with the "doggy smell" when it rains or after baths. We took out the wall to wall years ago and put down pergo floors. You will find "tumble weeds" in the corners of the floors. You can't expect to have no hair around, it just comes with the territory. I probably give them a bath once a month and brush, brush, brush and more brushing. I don't think my house smells but I guarantee you will find lots of hair, but I have 3 dogs & 2 cats in my house and I wouldn't give it up for anything in the world.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiya View Post
IYou will find "tumble weeds" in the corners of the floors.
and behind fridges and TVs and beds, and chairs...and.....LOL

This is how I picture it. Sure they smell doggy when they are wet. Yeah they blow their coats, etc.

But years down the road when they go to the Rainbow Bridge, you look back and realize all that didn't matter and you would do anything to get it back

Bindi - GSD (standard coat)- High School
Jingles Bell Doyle - (12/1993 - 08/2004)
Binky - my Long Standard Coat GSD dog (1999-2009)
Romeo Bär - Long Hair GSD
Bella Biscuit - GSD mix Rescue born 4/1/2012
VegasResident is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #24 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I feed my dog Origen fish and can honesly say that I do not notice a stinky smell to her, unless she is wet. Even when wet the smell is not that bad. Our English Setter smelled really bad just before grooming time, and I groomed her once a month. I think this could have been because of the food. I feed her what I thought was a good food but now I know it was not.

Shedding. Constantly. I brush her three to five times a week. My sister wanted to get a GSD and changed her mind when she saw the dog fur. I just vacuum more often and up the brushing when I notice more hair than normal.
Caledon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #25 (permalink)

I agree with all. My 2 shephards do not smell, even after a wash or swim, it's not bad. The food is very important, since I switched to Orijen we see less shedding and no stinks at all. I have 1 short hair and 1 longish hair. I have noticed that their shedded fur tends to clump and marginate along the walls and corners so it is really easy to clean up. My dogs have a dog door and free access to their yard and no smells. Our breeder said they wet their dogs down very often but don't use soap more often then once every couple of months. My dogs get wet down almost every day in the summer while I'm out spraying the orchids, they love it, they shake off the excess water and off they go. Again, no smell. Now my hound dogs were very odiferous and if one didn't love them to death, there could have been a problem. Our short hair gets brushed once a week and the long hair, 2-3 times a week. I only need to vacumm once a week with my 2 dogs and I'm a clean freak so it can't be too bad. LOL
Rio&Vytas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #26 (permalink)

I was snuggled in bed last night with my head on Gustav's shoulder (he snuggles every night at bedtime for about 15 minutes before he retires to his bed lol) and he has no bad smell. Good dog food is definitely the key; however, I also think it depends on how much your dog stays inside. Our dogs are inside unless we are home even then they are inside mostly with us. But shredding...omg..I live in the south and within two days of vacumming I have tumble weeds. But my house does not smell, its just hairy! My GSD is only one two shredders and I have 4 dogs in the house total..
janisinsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master Member

DJ sheds year round and in the spring and early summer it seems like he sheds in clumps. I've checked his skin and find no disorder, but I can stuff a twin sized mattress with what he sheds in a week

I so hope there is a Doggie Heaven !!!

Princess - mini GSD
Jason - GSD/mix
Sheba - GSD/mix
Charlie - GSD/Dane
Max - GSD
Stogey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #28 (permalink)
DnP
Elite Member

I have to agree with the posts that say german shedders, I mean shepherds shed a lot. Compared to most breeds, they shed a lot. They shed year round, but blow their coats twice a year (as previously stated). By a lot...it depends on what you are used to. Regular brushing keeps the shedding under control. Or as I say, the hair I get on the brush is the hair that won't be on my floor blowing around.

The stinky smell...as stated previously, diet, activity and the amount of time they spend outdoors can be factors in smell. Also, if you are petting your dog w/ dirty hands all the time, that can be a factor as well. I have to bath Phoenix every month or two because of his environmental allergies. I use a colloidal oatmeal shampoo. With the regular brushing, that help distribute the oils in the coat and reduce build-up.

But let's face it...a wet dog, unless bathed recently, smells like wet dog.

He seemed neither old nor young. His strength lay in his eyes. They look as old as the hills, and as young and as wild. I've never tired of looking into them.-John Muir
DnP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #29 (permalink)
Elite Member

My GSDs have all been raw fed but they still smell more doggy than the Belgians. Go to any conformation show and hang out where they are grooming GSDs - they have a kind of distinct smell, even when clean. Obviously they shouldn't stink unless there is something else going on such as an outdoor dog, dog with skin or ear issues, etc. But sorry, they do tend to have a stronger natural dog smell than some dogs.

And again if shedding bothers you, GSDs are one of the worst breeds you could get. I think only the Northern breeds are worse.
AgileGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgileGSD View Post
Go to any conformation show and hang out where they are grooming GSDs - they have a kind of distinct smell, even when clean.

And again if shedding bothers you, GSDs are one of the worst breeds you could get. I think only the Northern breeds are worse.
Distinct is a good word. I loved the way my shepherd smelled. Okay makes me odd. I definitely agree that you have to be agreeable to their coat blowing!

Bindi - GSD (standard coat)- High School
Jingles Bell Doyle - (12/1993 - 08/2004)
Binky - my Long Standard Coat GSD dog (1999-2009)
Romeo Bär - Long Hair GSD
Bella Biscuit - GSD mix Rescue born 4/1/2012
VegasResident is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.