How long for a new dog to "settle" in? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How long for a new dog to "settle" in?

Our new family member, Izzy, arrived today and I couldn't be more pleased. She is a 6 year old GSD who needed a new home. Not 100% on why she was being given up but I believe it was partly due to finances.

I posted a few months back when we tried to adopt a 1 year old GSD but our two Chihuahuas were very fear aggressive with her. Unfortuantly, we had to take her back. (Thankfully there was another family who was ready to take her.) After talking with Izzy's owners they were sure that she would get along fine with our boys.

All seems well so far. They all seem to be getting along just fine. Our boys were so good and so was she! She has yet to see our cat, but she was very good at Petsmart when I showed her the cats there. She just looked and them and moved on.

I think poor Izzy is confused as to why she is here and I know she misses her family. She has spent most of her time in the kitchen. I am sure it will be a tough few weeks. Right now I am just letting her decide what she wants to do. I am so excited that Izzy seems to be working out for our family and that she is such a good dog.

For those who have adopted older dogs how long has it taken them to settle into their new home? Is there anything I can do to make this easier on her? Any tips or advice would be great!
MishMash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2010, 06:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How long it takes for a new dog to settle into a home really depends on the dog.

I think you have put her through a lot in one day - you've brought her home, taken her to Petsmart, introduced her to your two existing dogs, and have let her loose in your house and let her decide which room she is currently most comfortable in. That really is a lot for one day.

I would start off with giving her a good, solid routine - feeding times, going outside times, times when she's going to be in her crate. Dogs do great with routine and you can never introduce it soon enough. I would also have her in the same room as you so she is supervised when you are home, not let her roam the house as she wants.

AbbyK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 12:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33

I agree it depends on the dog. When i first brought home my two older dogs for the first time it took them about a week to settle in, but they knew me before hand they were my grandparents dogs and i took them when they passed away so the dogs were comfortable with me. When we adopted my GSD it took him about two weeks for him to really settle in to things and get comfortable with our routine and rules. Some it may only take a day for them to get settled for some longer it just depends.

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
DCluver33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.