Scariest thing your GSD have done - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Red face Scariest thing your GSD have done

Whta is the scariest thing your GSD have done to you?

Phenix really scared us when he was around 6 months old. We were at the dog park. I don't know if I will be able this describe it clearly, but the park is on a small hill.

It's a field owned by the city, so they have built a garage into the hill to store their tools. You can imagine: they digged into the hill, so there is a hole on one side of the hill, but no fence to protect dogs from falling into it.

Phenix was never approching this whole, until one day, when a guy threw a ball in that direction. Our little boy was so focussed on it, he didn't see the edge and felt 8 feets downs into the hole .

No sounds. No movements. We were freaking out. I ran there and he was sitting there, looking at me, not realizing/understanding what had just happen. Thankfully, he was all right, not injured. I was so happy!

From there, I wrote a letter to the city to ask them to put a fence around the entry of the garage because it was not only dangerous for dogs, but also for young children. No response. They never did anything to correct the problem.
trish07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 01:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

There is a spot on the river we go to that has rock to jump off of into a deep swimming hole, about 12-15 feet to the water. One day I jumped off the rock and once in the water, see one of my dogs teetering on the spot where I'd just jumped, only to see him leap off the edge and crash into the water next to me. He'd never followed me to that spot before and it scared me pretty badly, I can't imagine a jump into the water like that is very good for their chest as they are basically doing a belly flop.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

When Echo was about 3 months old we were play-tracking in the woods. It was spring and there was quite a bit of slush and ice and mud everywhere. She trotted onto a patch of what we all thought was ice covering the trail, and fell through! Seems the ice wasn't over the trail, it was over a drainage ditch beside the trail. Poor girl went completely under and popped back up...my husband jumped in to get her out. The water was over 3' deep and COLD! Didn't dampen her spirits for the water by any means.....
EchoGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

About a month and a half ago I was out shoveling off my deck due to a large snow fall... Ginger spotted soemthing she thought she needed to go after and jumped off the deck, probably a solid 12-15 feet from the top of the deck to where she landed on the ground... As soon as she hit the ground, she looked up at me with a "Oh ****" expression on her face, than ran around the yard chasing a squirrel in the trees... No injuries this time around... Needless to say, no more going on the deck when there is snow on the ground... I dont think she would be dumb enough to do it again in the summer...
Denman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoGSD View Post
When Echo was about 3 months old we were play-tracking in the woods. It was spring and there was quite a bit of slush and ice and mud everywhere. She trotted onto a patch of what we all thought was ice covering the trail, and fell through! Seems the ice wasn't over the trail, it was over a drainage ditch beside the trail. Poor girl went completely under and popped back up...my husband jumped in to get her out. The water was over 3' deep and COLD! Didn't dampen her spirits for the water by any means.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denman View Post
About a month and a half ago I was out shoveling off my deck due to a large snow fall... Ginger spotted soemthing she thought she needed to go after and jumped off the deck, probably a solid 12-15 feet from the top of the deck to where she landed on the ground... As soon as she hit the ground, she looked up at me with a "Oh ****" expression on her face, than ran around the yard chasing a squirrel in the trees... No injuries this time around... Needless to say, no more going on the deck when there is snow on the ground... I dont think she would be dumb enough to do it again in the summer...
Why the **** do they need to jump everywhere!
Old 03-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What is it with these leaping GSDs??!!

Our scariest moment with Heidi (other than the time she got out of the yard when we first got her!) was when we were at a beach and Heidi and I were up on a cliff that was at least 12 feet high. Dave was below us and further away and waved his hand for her to come down. We both thought she would go down the same way she came up--via the path. But she leaped forward and hit the sand really hard. She started yelping really loud and we thought, "Oh no, how are we going to get her to the car?" (Since she never allowed us to pick her up.) We thought for sure she had broken at least one of her legs.

But then she looked around and took off running and was perfectly fine. Scared the you-know-what out of us though!

Here she is right before she leaped. The height was about twice what's shown in the photo.

Heidi, 8-year-old GSD
Adopted on 10/14/07 from: German Shepherd Rescue of Northern California

Sheba, GSD/Malamute
Karin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Scariest moment was my last dog, who had a mortal enemy next door. The kids next door got their dog to fence fight with her, and poked sticks at her time after time until she wanted to attack the dog any time she saw it in our yard or out of it's yard, and they just let the dog run loose.

One day we were out in the front yard, her nemesis goes to chase a car doing about 45mph down the street, but is chasing from the other side of the street, county road actually.

Before I realized what was going on my dog was full sprint on an intercept course for the dog, who was getting a lead on the car and setting up to chase at the moment, she was totally ignoring the car and too late to call her off as she was already hitting the road.

She crashed into the side of the car at full sprint, luckily she hit the side of the front tire and bounced off and the only damage was a skinned tire burn spot on her chest.

Scared me to death though, I was certain she was a goner. One foot either way from where she hit the car and she would have been squashed.

She ran back utterly shocked and forgot all about her nemesis.

She later figured out she could easily leap the fence, and chased the dog into it's garage from my fence and taught it what for until it squeezed itself under their car, with the two little girls screaming and crying still holding the stick they were poking her through the fence with. It never came to the fence again, nor did the little girls.

Last edited by TxRider; 03-15-2010 at 03:57 PM.
TxRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRider View Post
Scariest moment was my last dog, who had a mortal enemy next door. The kids next door got their dog to fence fight with her, and poked sticks at her time after time until she wanted to attack the dog any time she saw it in our yard or out of it's yard, and they just let the dog run loose.

One day we were out in the front yard, her nemesis goes to chase a car doing about 45mph down the street, but is chasing from the other side of the street, county road actually.

Before I realized what was going on my dog was full sprint on an intercept course for the dog, who was getting a lead on the car and setting up to chase at the moment, she was totally ignoring the car and too late to call her off as she was already hitting the road.

She crashed into the side of the car at full sprint, luckily she hit the side of the front tire and bounced off and the only damage was a skinned tire burn spot on her chest.

Scared me to death though, I was certain she was a goner. One foot either way from where she hit the car and she would have been squashed.

She ran back utterly shocked and forgot all about her nemesis.

She later figured out she could easily leap the fence, and chased the dog into it's garage from my fence and taught it what for until it squeezed itself under their car, with the two little girls screaming and crying still holding the stick they were poking her through the fence with. It never came to the fence again, nor did the little girls.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When I was a child, we took our GSD to the beach camping with us all the time. One day while us girls (4 sisters) were romping around in the surf, Gretchan decided to chase the waves. She took off headed straight to Mexico. We screamed for her, but she kept going. My dad jumped in and just barely caught up with her. My mother made us all come out of the water (so she could help my dad). By the time they made it to shore, poor Gretchen was so tired we had to hold her head up so she could drink. My dad had huge scratches on his chest, belly & upper legs from where Gretchen continued to swim even after he had her. Gretchen recovered herself shortly thereafter but my mom made her stay close to her.

Funny, I remember my dad feeding her a hambuger pattie from the grill that afternoon. He refused to feed the dog human food, but I suppose he was so worried that he had lost her, he grilled her a burger too!

And for all you dads out there, all 4 of us girls really thought my dad was some sort of super hero after that. "Dad swam almost to Mexico to bring Gretchen back."
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

The scariest thing my first GSD Nancy used to do was stand at the top of the basement stairwell barking, snarling and growling into the dark empty basement like the devil himself was downstairs.

I would then close the door and tell Nancy, "Whatever it is that you sense or smell I cannot detect and I need to go the basement periodically so we'll ignore it okay. Thank you"
DensterNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.