Advice for GSD PUPPY - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010, 12:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice for GSD PUPPY

Hi everyone! My name is Jackson Lieu and i'm new to this thread and I love German Shepherds! Anyways, my girlfriend and I just recently picked up a GSD puppy at 8 weeks old from a local breeder around our area in Southern California. We saw the parents before we picked up the puppy, and the puppy was the last one of the litter. Anyways, my question is that is my puppy a pure breed? That's what the seller told us, when I saw the parents they were huge along with the original black and tan coat. But the thing is our puppy (we named him Comet by the way) has all the characteristics and figures of a pure breed GSD except for the color. Comet's color is like black, grey with a little brownish over the body and a white chest. Also, will Comet's color change as he gets older? Other than that, he is really playful, energetic and his ears are starting to point already. So if anyone can help me I would really appreciate it, thank you!!!!!
Here is a picture of Comet
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._5421231_n.jpg
ButterzxLieu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Hi Jackson!!! Welcome to the Forum.

I fixed it so your pup's pic will appear in the thread.

He is just ADORABLE!!! But at first blush, I would say this is not a pure-bred GSD, as GSD's come in a lot of different colour and pattern combination, but not brindle - and this pup is definitely a brindle! His face and head also looks somewhat odd for a GSD, though I LOVE those ears trying so valiantly to stand and his mischievious expression.

I think he is one sweet pup, but I would be very upset about being deceived by the breeder if she was claiming this pup to be a pure bred. Now, the parents you saw may have well mated, but I am pretty sure that another dog somehow snuck in there and mated with the female also. A female can carry pups from two different fathers in the same litter.

And great choice of name for the little one!

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 12:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

He's adorable!!
But with the brindle coloring he looks like a mix.

Mafia "Mafia Daniel Bohemia" ~ Sable GSD Pup
Kamahi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 01:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks alot everyone! I really appreciate it. But yeahs, I am really disappointed by finding out that Comet is not a pure bred and how the seller jipped me. I hope I can return the dog and get my money back so I can pick up a real pure bred. I guess I was too excited and really wanted a GSD so bad that I was fooled just by the parent's looks; (if that was even his real parents) I did however did alot of re-search on GSD before I picked up Comet, but I guess I just rushed it too fast. =\
Old 03-11-2010, 01:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Your puppy is very cute, but he is NOT a purebred GSD.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 02:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterzxLieu View Post
Thanks alot everyone! I really appreciate it. But yeahs, I am really disappointed by finding out that Comet is not a pure bred and how the seller jipped me. I hope I can return the dog and get my money back so I can pick up a real pure bred. I guess I was too excited and really wanted a GSD so bad that I was fooled just by the parent's looks; (if that was even his real parents) I did however did alot of re-search on GSD before I picked up Comet, but I guess I just rushed it too fast. =\
He is the most adorable puppy but doesn't look like a purebred to me, however I'd probably keep him anyway.

I would actually report that breeder, who knows how many people that breeder already fooled. Try get the money back AND keep the puppy.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 02:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

For sure, thanks alot guys! By any chance would he have any possibilities of being a Sable?
Old 03-11-2010, 02:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'll update more pictures soon too!
Old 03-11-2010, 03:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Your pup looks like a GSD puppy in terms of his physical traits, but thats a brindle with white paws and pure bred GSD's don't have either of those traits. I'd definitely say he does have some GSD in him though.

How much did you pay for him if you don't mind me asking? And how did you hear about the breeder?
Lucy Dog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 08:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I'd keep him too, he is just too cute to return!

Now that you have found this forum, if you do decide to return the pup, slow down on your puppy-search, hang around, ask questions, and let people here help you find a good breeder with REAL pure-bred GSDs.

And to answer you questions: no, that is not a sable. Plus two black and tan parents cannot throw sable pups, as sable is dominant and black-and-tan is recessive.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH

Last edited by Castlemaid; 03-11-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.