Craiglist and puppies. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Craiglist and puppies.

Just ranting a bit, sorry it's long!

Why do breeders, or should i say BYBs? sell their puppies on craiglist.

An in-law of mine had recently purchase a 5 week old Chihuahua puppy for only $150.00. I have tried talking her out of it until my face turned blue. I've tried to push her to a Chihuahua rescue and have noted that they are way too over populated. Even explain how California just recently went through with trying to re-home a bunch of Chihuahuas that they had to spread them across the united states for them to go to a rescue.

At first she wanted a sheltie, i know a couple of reputable sheltie breeders that compete in AKC shows and their dogs have agility titles, and herding titles. But her gripe was they charge too much. She does not want to spend more than $150.00 on a dog!. I said you get what you pay for in a long run. So she ended up changing her mind on a sheltie and was looking high and low for a chihuahua only because she saw a really well behaved one at canine good citizen class. I've told her that the owner probably put alot of work into that dog and it probably came from a reputable breeder if not from a rescue or shelter. Of course anything i say goes into one ear and out the other.

Well while visiting this in-law about a couple months ago, it was just her and I while Hubby went out with the boys. She out of the blue says " I found a chi for 150.00 on craig list want to come with?"

I could not say anything, i was speechless but i went with her anyway to look at this chi. Upon arriving at this breeders place i saw many red flags. Number one, the in-law did not ask for health papers or any of that,nor the breeder gave her any health papers, vet records etc etc.. It was a quick exchange, almost like you're trading in for a car. Sad sad sad thing to see. The breeder showed no concerned where this puppy was going and how it was going to be taken care of. Number two, the father of this Chi that the in-law was getting growled at ME! yes GROWLED at me and my in law is totally oblivious to that!. All i could do was bite my tongue.

Several weeks later upon having this pup, the in-law found out the breeder's dogs have never seen a vet!!. Also this new pup just recently injured herself because the breeder was puppy sitting while the in-law went on vacation. When she came back her precious new pup now has a broken leg.

I see bad bad bad things happening. I didn't say anything because anything i say will just go into one ear and out the other and i didn't want to create tension. I figured that once things start happening she'll see the mistakes she made. I told my Hubby that she made the bed now she has to lay in it. All i can do right now is try to support her if she's having trouble with this puppy. At the same time it bugs me to no end that this puppy was bought off of craig list!. The breeder ended up selling the parents because the husband supposedly had developed allergies.

Of course my in-law probably doesn't see anything wrong with getting puppies off of craiglist or even a newspaper. Just the other day, she knows i'm looking around for a 3rd dog but i didn't mention what breed. She says to me " there's a German Shepherd up on craig list for $200". I just kept quiet and shook my head. She even pointed out that there's a sheltie for sale for 100 in the newspaper.

I really wish Craiglist would ban selling puppies on their site. It just really bugs me to see that.

Am i the only one that think it's nuts for people to think it's ok to sell puppies on there and for people to buy it from the list?...
Josiebear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via MSN to GSDolch

I thought craigslist did have a policy about selling dogs? I know alot get flagged and removed because it is against the rule.

The only exception I think is for a rescue dog and an adoption fee.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDolch View Post
I thought craigslist did have a policy about selling dogs? I know alot get flagged and removed because it is against the rule.

The only exception I think is for a rescue dog and an adoption fee.
Maybe not in every state?.
Josiebear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

it's in every state, but they pretty much count on other customers to police the site by flagging the ads.

plus, people like that generally don't care about the rules. when one ad gets deleted, they just post a new one.
Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

On Craigslist, SELLING animals is prohibited, but you can charge a rehoming fee.

We had to rehome 2 chocolate lab mixes on there (just sent the youngest to her home a few minutes ago) because their owner died and his family wanted to take them to the pound. My mom couldn't allow that to happen, so we put a few ads on CL for them and found the both good homes. My mom told them that if they didn't want them or it didn't work out, that she'd take them back.

So dogs on CL aren't always bad - just when the BYBs use it to sell their pups....
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Good home is the key, and most byb's just want the $ so aren't very particular where their pups end up. They probably end up on CL again, and again.
My local CL has so many "police" it is surprising there are any ads at all.
And there are those that post nasty comments constantly.
But we also have several rescues, too. So there are many advocates for the animals in my land, luckily. So many still slip thru the cracks...
Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Even though selling animals is prohibited they do it because it works. Unfortunately!

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well.. I got Zeva on CL. I paid 300 for her and yeah, that's a lot. She was a BYB, which I didn't know at the time.

She came w/ worms and fleas, both of which have been resolved. She said she was trying to sell them for 600 but w/o papers, could not get that much.

She said she was training Zeva to be a service dog but had to give her up do to taking on an ill aunt.

She did come crate trained, like she said, she did know sit, down and shake. She was 1/2 potty trained.

She's a wonderful dog, and I don't think I paid to much for her. I would do it again in a heart beat.

yeah, maybe the lady was looking out to make a buck, but I got a great dog at a great price. I've rescued 2 dogs already, I kinda feel I did w/ Zeva too because who knows where she would have ended up if I didn't see the post as soon as she posted it. I couldn't be happier w/ her. So far she's very healthy and happy. Non aggressive and seeming to be a well built, well balance dog.

We are thinking about adding another one at some point and I'm going to try and find a shelter dog or a rescue, but if one comes about on CL looking for a new home, I would most likely go w/ it if he/she was ok w/ Zeva and the family.

It's not the dog's fault that the owners are buttholes and are trying to make a buck.

All the flagging does is make ppl get desperate to dump off animals and then end up in shelters and in ditches on the side of roads.

Waiting at the Bridge:
Buddy ~ GSD/Husky mix 1/00
Sadie ~ GSD 10/05
Lady ~ GSD 5/09
Pepper ~ Beagle 12/09
FuryanGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 09:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

BYB's use Craigslist because it works and it is free. It is one of my pet peeves that Craigslist makes it so easy for the bottom feeders to make a quick buck.

As long as people continue to give money to these idiots, they'll continue to use Craigslist as their advertising avenue of choice. As long as they can keep selling pups (no matter how "discounted" they claim their price is), they'll keep producing them. And THAT sucks for the animals and the community that is flooded with them
Sheilah

Last edited by sit,stay; 02-23-2010 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Had another thought
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sit,stay View Post
BYB's use Craigslist because it works and it is free. It is one of my pet peeves that Craigslist makes it so easy for the bottom feeders to make a quick buck.

As long as people continue to give money to these idiots, they'll continue to use Craigslist as their advertising avenue of choice.
Sheilah

Guess that's me, feeding the idiots. Some people, believe it or not, don't know any better. I know for a fact that my other two girls had to have come form BYB and just lived out their breeding cycle and were dumped off in shelters.

I don't think that I should be looked down upon because of where I got my dog and here, when ppl mention CL, that's the feeling I get. I shouldn't have to hide where I got her for fear of ppl thinking poorly of me or my dog.

Waiting at the Bridge:
Buddy ~ GSD/Husky mix 1/00
Sadie ~ GSD 10/05
Lady ~ GSD 5/09
Pepper ~ Beagle 12/09

Last edited by FuryanGoddess; 02-23-2010 at 09:26 PM.
FuryanGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.