On or Off Post Housing (military question)? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2009, 11:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: On or Off Post Housing (military question)?

Hey, don't they have to stick to the rules that the army puts out there? This is the pet policy for 2009 so how comes that gsd's get banned?

http://www.scribd.com/US-Army-Signed...-09/d/13354407
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2009, 12:31 AM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

German Shepherds must have Veterinarian documentation stating that they are non-violent.

I can't add the link, but it is in the resident guide on the housing websites. My lease states that GSD's are a banned dog, though. They are grouped with pits.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
jaggirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #23 (permalink)

These are the actual regulations for Ft. Hood, TX:

HQ, III Corps & Fort Hood Fort Hood, TX 76544 041229LAug 08
MISSION SUPPORT ORDER PC 08-07-269 (PIT BULL BAN IN GOVERNMENT HOUSING)
References:
a.
III Corps and Fort Hood Regulation 210-48, Installation Housing Community Standards.
b.
"' Corps and Fort Hood Regulation 40-5, Authorized Veterinary Care and Animal Control Programs.
Time Zone Used Throughout Order: Local (L). Task Organization: Omitted.
SITUATION. III Corps Commanding General approved changes to Fort Hood Regulation 210-48 and Fort Hood Regulation 40-5 that prohibits newly acquired Pit Bulls, American/Staffordshire Terriers, and crosses of these breeds from staying in on-post housing on Fort Hood.
MISSION. III Corps and Fort Hood Units brief Soldiers on changes to Fort Hood Regulation 210-48 and Fort Hood Regulation 40-5.
EXECUTION.
a.
Concept of Operations. Fort Hood Regulation 210-48 and Fort Hood Regulation 40-5 will be changed to prohibit newly acquired Pi! Bulls, American/Staffordshire Terriers, and crosses of!hese breeds from staying in on-post housing on Fort Hood.
b.
Tasks to Subordinate Units. MSCs, Separates, and Tenant Units. Ensure that all Soldiers are briefed and aware that all newly acquired Pit Bulls, American/Staffordshire Terriers, and crosses of these breeds will not be allowed in on-post housing.
c. Coordinating Instructions. New requirements are:
(1)
All dogs residing in on post quarters are required to be registered with Fort Hood Veterinary Clinic (FHVC) lAW Fort Hood Regulation 40-5.
(2)
Any Pit Bull or cross breed currently residing in on-post housing and registered with the FHVC before 10 Jul 08 will be allowed to remain in housing.
(3)
Any dog registered on Fort Hood is required to follow all requirements of Fort Hood Regulation 40-5 and is subject to removal from the installation lAW that regulation.
UNCLASSIFIED
UNCLASSIFIED
MISSION SUPPORT ORDER PC 08-07-269 (PIT BULL BAN IN GOVERNMENT HOUSING)
(4)
After 10 Jul 08 no additional Pit Bulls or their crosses will be allowed to reside in on-post housing.
(5)
The Fort Hood Veterinary Clinic will be the deciding authority to determine if a dog is a Pit Bull cross.
(6)
In the event a currently registered Pit Bull has puppies, the puppies may remain in on-post housing until a time designated by a Fort Hood Vet (until weaning is complete).
SERVICE SUPPORT. Omitted.
COMMAND AND SIGNAL.
a.
Command. Omitted.
b.
Signal.
(1)
MSO POC is MSG Meyer, DES, Operations NCO at 287-3613 or email: david.f.meyer@conus.army.mil.
(2)
VETCOM POC is MAJ Tamara Gull at 287-1045 or email: tamara.gull@amedd.army.mil.
(3)
Housing POC is Carol Anderson at 287-4058 or email: carol.anderson1@us.army.mil.
(3)
III Corps G-3 POC is Mr. Medina at 287-4775. ACKNOWLEDGE:
LYNCH LTG
:&fb:~
EN

German Shepherds are not included in the ban, nor are service dogs or therapy dogs.

The SD's and TD's do have to be screened regardless of breed.

Susan
Grace-GSD
lnsmdove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #24 (permalink)

One more side note about Ft. Hood. They have an on post hotel called Poxon house that has kennels. I think you can stay there for up to 30 days for transitioning. I don't know about cost but contact info is avalilable on Ft. Hood's website http://www.hood.army.mil

Susan
Grace-GSD
lnsmdove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Fort Drum also used to have kennel facilities available for people staying in guest housing (hotel) on base, but currently, all those kennels are being used for the Lucky Dog Program dogs, so none are currently open for people transitioning to keep their dogs at.

Depending on where you go, call the guest lodging on base and see if you can bring the dogs and/or if there are kennel facilities available for them. We have the kennels here, like I said, but people are often not aware that they're not currently available because of the Lucky Dogs.

AbbyK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I know here at Ft Sam and at Ft Benning they do not have kennels and they do not allow dogs in the lodging. Make sure you go to the vet where you are and have them temperment test the dog. What I put on the site is from the Lincoln Military Housing, the privatized company for on post housing.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:04 PM   #27 (permalink)

At Fort Bliss (where we are), there are no german shepherd bans specifically. Not that it would effect us anyway, since we don't live on post by choice. I like being able to do as we please with our house.

(http://www.ftblissfamilyhousing.com/...?cid=23&k=faqa)

Q: Is there a pet weight/policy?
A: The number of pets in a home is limited to two. Residents are required to execute a "Pet Addendum". The following aggressive breeds are not permitted: Akita, Chow, Doberman, Pit Bull, Rotweiller, American Staffordshire Terriers, English Stafford Terriers, Bull Terriers, Wolf Hybrids or any other breed with dominant traits geared toward aggression. You will be responsible for any pet damages. Exotic pets are not allowed.
Gunnarsmum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The problem is..."any other breed with dominant traits geared toward aggression". They apply that how they wish.

At the rainbow bridge:
Old 12-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When we moved from Oregon to Okalohoma we looked into renting on the military base we were working on as they allow civilians on Space A.

GSD's were not banned, our only issue was there wsa no space available at the time.

Having moved a lot it is best to know where you are going first and then start planning ahead, the better planner you are the smoother the move will be. We have never had trouble with motels nad dogs and cats as we plan ahead.

The hardest part I think is finding a rental with large dogs. But that has been covered and you have been given a lot of options there. We bought a home in McAlester instead of trying to rent. The are is not a big area and the small towns are harder to rent in. Most military communitioes have a very active rental market. I think you will be okay.

It is nice that if you have to you can leave the dogs with your parents and have them shipped when you find a place. That is a very nice option in fact.

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC (1/03)
UAG1,UNC1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V. TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH (6/07)
UAG1,URO1 Tidmore's Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,RN,HT,CGC, (4/12)

Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.