German Shepherd in an apartment? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2009, 05:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default German Shepherd in an apartment?

Hello, I'm new on this forum and was looking for a little feedback from experienced GSD owners.

I want to get a dog, and since I've been a kid, I just loved German Shepherds. My problem is that I live in an apartment, and I don't know if such a dog could do well in an appartment. Until now I've had mixed information on this issue, some saying they shouldn't live in an apartment, some saying they can, as long as you get them out on a regular basis. Just to give more info, I live in what I consider a pretty large aparment, and live right next to a large park, so going out for a jogg/walk isn't a problem.

I would also like to know, if a GSD can be trained to be ok alone at home for 6 to 8 hours.

A lot of people in my country buy dogs like GSDs, Huskies and Rottweilers and don't know what they are getting into. Don't want to be one of them so I would apreciate any help.
Dakari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2009, 06:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: German Shepherd in an apartment?

Many of us work full time. In my dog's old age, I like to come home at noon and when they are young pups (up to 4 mos of age or so) I like to come home at noon. I think with the last puppy, I only came home for lunch for a couple of weeks so that would have put her at 11 or 12 weeks old. With pups, crate training really helps a lot.

I've had large dogs in apartments, in rental houses too. You will want to avoid the park and other areas with heavy dog traffic until your pup has all his/her parvo shots (two weeks after really) but the location sounds great. You will be out there at least three times (more likely five) a day for 10 to 15 years.

Getting a dog in some ways is similar to having a child. You never know what you are getting into until you are living it! Sneak around the forums a bit & you'll at least get the story - which I think is a lot different than knowing what you are getting into.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hi there!

I live in an apartment as well (large 4 bedroom) and we have 2 dogs and 2 cats here.

I have never had a problem with my dog (Shepherd who lives with my parents about 3 hours away) when she comes to visit me for a few weeks. She is always exercised, more so actually then when she is at home, because you must walk them to go potty; not just open the back door, etc. They also get a TONNE more socialization, and it is a lot easier to get to know other dog owners for play dates.

When I brought Stark home (15 weeks old now) he did fine in a smaller appartment until we moved to this place. As long as you are doing what is necessary to excerise him, not let him destroy the rental property, being curtious of your neighbours both on the sides and below (running like a mad man - which WILL happen regularly) I see no problem with it.

I personally think our 20lbs girl is more energetic at times than our Shepherds. It all depends on how the owner handles the dog.

Good luck and I say GO FOR IT if you are ready!
Old 07-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

The main advantage i see for my dog in my house is being able to open my patio door and letting him out into a fenced yard for potty and play breaks at anytime. However some rooms are off limits so the size of this house is similar to an apartment. GSD.s do fine in apts and adapt well to their surroundings. I say go for it! as far as being alone in the house, mine is crated at least 8hrs daily mon-fri
while im at work with no problems.

Mark.o
marksteven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

One great thing about our apartment company is that once your dog is fully vaccinated, lisenced and able to play nice with others they are welcomed in a fenced off play area especially for the dogs. It's almost an acre large and has trees, a small picinic table and benches for the owners. It's great!

I haven't taken Stark there yet even though he is now fully vaccinated (waiting another week or two) but Senna has gone in and played with the others. She loves it! It's great, not many apartment companies would spend the money for pets or allow them for that matter (outside of Ontario) so it's a great thing!
Old 07-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Inara is only allowed on the main floor of our house which is about the size of an apartment. Our yard only has a picket fence around it so I never let her out by herself as she can easily jump over. The main thing is to keep them exercised with walks and play, and to stimulate them mentally on a daily basis. Crate training is by far the best way to go, we made the mistake of not having a crate right away and have some chew marks to show for it. It keeps them safe while you're away which is the most important thing. If you're ready for the commitment I say go for it because it's well worth it!
Sahria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

In Germany I lived in a 3 bedroom on the 4th floor with 3 big dogs. Letting them out into the stairwell, hiking down the flights of steps, and then out the front door every so many hours was rough. But neat too, because we lived on a dead end road that only had 3 buildings, and it was fields from there they could run through. I didn't even bother with leashes unless it was a quick pee trip close to the house. All the people in the building knew them, and it was funy when a door would pop open and the dogs check it out.. like "Hey! Can we come in?" On the other side of the small town was water ways and ponds, and everyone in town would take their dog there, so it was like an unfenced dog park.

Here we're in a two bedroom on the second floor with private access to our own spot of grass, and there's a network of sidewalks for walking and a dog park two blocks away. They don't get off leash much unless we're at the dog park, but the space we have is working. I think you'd call this place a townhouse more than an apartment, there's a garage and yard for each unit.

Ideally I would like a 3 bedroom house with a large fenced yard. For days when it's raining, really cold, it's hard to muster up the willingness to dress warm and walk the dogs. In a house you put them outside, throw a couple balls while standing in the doorway relatively warm and just do that like 3 times in the day.

What you have to think about, is how much spare time you will have, and if you will really get out there and walk EVERY day after work regardless of how tired you are. On Fridays, will you spend 2 hours with your dog before going out, and then get up early Saturday to spend time with the dog? EVERY weekend?

What about in the winter when it's dark at 5pm, will you be out there walking?

Are you on the 2nd floor, where a inside came of fetch will tick off the neighbors below? Shepherds also scratch themselves, and their back knee thumps the ground. Who all will hear that? My neighbor can hear it, so I stop my dogs and send them to a carpeted area to do it. Think of Thumper the rabbit only it's a 60-100 pound dog doing it.

What happens in most cases, is after the newness of the dog wears off, people become lazy and they don't want to walk in the wintertime darkness, they don't want to spend their whole weekend with their dog anymore, and they realize that a house with a yard is best, so the dog is listed for sale/rehome with these house/yard demands of the new owner.

You have to think about if after 6 months, you'll be just as diligent as when you first got the dog, and at 1 year... and at 3 years, and so on.

With you working, you'll either need to take your lunch break at home to take a puppy outside, or start with one older than 5 months of age. Starting with an older puppy also means training begins as soon as the puppy arrives in your care. Or, you may be able to find an adult that's already trained.

But there is nothing worse than a large, untrained, unexercised dog in an apartment who won't allow you to watch evening TV because it wants to play fetch or tug.

What do you want to come home to after work? A crying pup who wet in it's cage because it's too young to hold it the 6-8 hours? An older pup who greets you like you've been gone for weeks who now needs dinner, a brushing, a game, and an hour walk before you can feed yourself and settle in for the night? An older dog that greets you, eats calmly with you, then takes a leisurely evening walk with maybe a game of fetch afterwards? By older, I mean over 2-3 years old.

And the shedding, no one has brought that up yet? LOL... they shed and shed and shed. Daily brushing helps if you get a good professional quality brush designed for dogs with under coat. But you can't forget to factor in the additional house cleaning GSD owners endure.

And the water bowl... puppies will knock it over and attempt to swim in it. They'll string drool/water in a 5ft radious around the water bowl. They're drop food into the water bowl if you feed them near it. Depending on the space of the house/apartment, it will be obvious what sort of dog lives there.

But as far as companions go, if you're willing to put the time in they're way more intuitive to their owner than a lot of other breeds are. They know how to relax when they get older depending on what they were bred for. It's worth the mess, the work, the hair, the food/toy bill. But for some people it isn't, so that is what you have to think about.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The only GSD I can imagine being left alone in the house for 6-8 hrs at a time would be an older one who doesn;t require much exercise; but then again, will he be able to hold his bladder? Generally, I don;t think GSDs should be in apartments or left alone for 6-8 hours.
pamela berger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: dogsaverThe only GSD I can imagine being left alone in the house for 6-8 hrs at a time would be an older one who doesn;t require much exercise; but then again, will he be able to hold his bladder? Generally, I don;t think GSDs should be in apartments or left alone for 6-8 hours.
While this is ideal, people need to make a living. Everyone that works should not be allowed to have a dog? Every GSD I've ever owned has spent 9 hours alone in the house on a regular basis. In fact, I did it with the two working line dogs I have now when they were 1.5 years old and 3.5 years old respectively. They had no issues holding their bladders, were not destructive and got plenty of exercise. Sometimes it was at 6:00 in the morning during the winter since it was the only daylight available - but not an issue. I now work from home, so they do not have to - but provided you are willing to exercise, train and spend time with a dog when at home it's really not a problem.
- Diesel vom Kriegershaus "Diesel" BH
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ee/399527.html
big_dog7777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2009, 05:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for all the answers everyone. You have been helpfull.

Mandelyn raised a couple of very good questions, that I have some answers for.

First of all, I won't buy the dog, unless I am 100% sure.

As for leaving it alone, for the next year I will not be working full time, so I'll have plenty of time to play with him, and train him. Also, I can rely on my parents or even friends to spend a little time with the dog if I have to be away a whole day, which I don't expect.

As for the neigbours, I don't expect trouble. Many have dogs, that bark from time to time, but the walls are pretty thick so it doesn't bother anyone.

Shedding may be an issue, but from what I understand if they are brushed daily they won't leave as much hair around the house.

I guess that my biggest inconvenience would be that I'd have to wake up a bit earlyer to walk the dog. But that's not a big deal. For me at least.
Dakari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.