Was told Silver german shepherds were inbred? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Was told Silver german shepherds were inbred?

I wasnt sure where to put this because I am still new to the board. I tried to search it but couldnt find anything. A friend of mine told me that GSD's that are silver are a product of inbreeding, is this true.
Everything I have read on breed standards have a place for silver's. I know Raven my silver well from all I have looked up she is a silver sable has some inbreeding. Her dam and sire are siblings but not from the same litter. We are going to fix her but I just wondered if silvers were only a product of inbreeding and if that will cause her to have health problems in the future. Sorry this post is kind of all over the place in topic.

Mom of:
Grimm 3/19/2007
Raven 11/30/2008
Harley 5 yr old Choodle
Also Pippin,Mystique, and Eban my beautiful kitties.
semoglia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2009, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Was told Silver german shepherds were inbred?

Silver coloring does not indicate a dog is inbred however it does indicate the dog has very poor color. GSDs should have very strong color and pigment and this washed out silver color is not desirable.

Whether or not she has health problems can be better indicated by her family history. If you went with a good breeder, they would have hip- and elbow-cleared their breeding dogs as well as tested for any other genetic diseases, chosen sound breeding partners, and have carefully researched family history and discuss with you what the line carries in terms of potential health problems.

Quote:
Quote:Her dam and sire are siblings but not from the same litter.
Same litter or not, if they both have the same parents and were bred, then your pup is quite inbred. I suspect your "breeder" may not have informed you of potential health problems to watch out for. Not many very good breeders breed for dogs with washed out color and no good breeder does this sort of inbreeding. If you want, you can get Raven's hips and elbows xrayed when she is between one and two years of age (right about now would be fine) to see if there are any genetic joint issues. I'm not quite sure what other tests you can run, but so long as you're observant, diligent with vet checkups, and feed her quality food, you'll stack the deck in your favor as much as you can. Even in the most well thought out breedings, genetics can deal a bad hand.

Training @ The Canine Center - St Cloud, FL
"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
DianaM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for your advise. We bought her from a friend of ours, the litter was accidental. I forgot to put that in there the male broke his tether when the female went into heat. We bought her for a pet only and dont intend to breed her. I was just unsure about the effects of the silver and if that was a big problem. Raven just turned 7 weeks sunday. She is a bit aggressive(we call her pirahna) but will be taking her to puppy classes as soon as she gets her second set of shots. I have a male GSD and his is a beautiful black/red mix. Im new to GSD's these are my first. I fell in love with the breed after getting Grimm. I guess there is a lot to learn and look into the next time we get GSDs. We will definatly look for reputiable breeders next time.

Mom of:
Grimm 3/19/2007
Raven 11/30/2008
Harley 5 yr old Choodle
Old 01-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

so, a black and silver Shepherd has poor coloring?
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Ohhh she's 7 weeks... I think I looked at the wrong dog when trying to find out her age in your signature. GSD puppies are definitely land sharks so I am VERY glad to hear you are going to training classes! She just turned 7 weeks, so I assume you've had her earlier? Please make sure she has plenty of chances to mouth you and bite you (yes, sounds bad) because she needs to learn bite inhibition; by being removed early from the litter, she missed out on that valuable lesson. When she mouths you at a level you're not comfy with, and no you don't have to wait until it's unbearable, yelp loudly, then either get up and walk away if the pup is in a SAFE area or crate/pen the pup and walk away. Raven will then learn if she doesn't mind her bite pressure, she'll terminate her playtime and be left alone for a bit. Just leave her for a few minutes, then repeat. It's VERY important for dogs to learn bite inhibition- dogs that don't will bite very badly if they ever feel the need to bite whereas those that do learn bite pressure control will be very gentle and careful with their mouths.

Doggiedad, going by the standard, yes. A GSD should have strong pigment and color.

http://www.germanshepherddog.com/reg...d_standard.htm
"Considerable lack of pigment" is a severe fault in the SV standard.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/german_shepherd_dog/
"Pale, washed out colors.. are serious faults." That is per the AKC GSD standard.

Now color will have no effect on her health and temperament. Raven could be an agility and obedience star and the best dog ever regardless of her color.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
Old 01-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

For those of us unfamiliar with the coloring would you be able to post pictures of her?We especially love puppy pics...

Athena 5/4/08 http://www.dogster.com/dogs/925796
Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

allieg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes we did get her early. My friend was in a hurry to place the pups. We have had her since she was 4 weeks. We have been working on the bite inhibition and Grimm has helped some but being that his is still a puppy himself he is a little rough with her. Im excited to start classes with her. Grimm was a breeze to train but we also go him at 9 weeks and he has a totally different personnality than her. Raven is very stubborn but is very smart she has great problem solving skills like how best to steel laundry out of the basket with out mom or dad noticing.

Mom of:
Grimm 3/19/2007
Raven 11/30/2008
Harley 5 yr old Choodle
Old 01-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I'd also love to see photos. Not sure if what you have is just a sable? Or under pigmented black/tan? Or even a darker white GSD?

Just to reiterate your 7 week old may be biting the heck out of you, but it's not agression. It's their normal (and painful) way of playing. It worked for their mom, their littermates, and now you. So until you teach a new and better way to play (I recommend toys with long ropes/handles) you will be going ouch ouch ouch alot. We have an entire section in the puppy place called 'Bite Inhibition' to help us all!
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 05:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Sure this is her at 5 weeks
http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/i.../raven6wks.jpg

And her at 7 weeks.
http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/i...aven634wks.jpg
http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/i...ven612week.jpg

Mom of:
Grimm 3/19/2007
Raven 11/30/2008
Harley 5 yr old Choodle
Old 01-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Do you have any better photos of her where we can see her whole body in some light? She looks adorable! She also looks dilute (liver or blue instead of black) which is why I want to see more pics!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.