Jumping and biting when leach walking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 12:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jumping and biting when leach walking

Another question from me.

What is the best method to stop my 7 month old puppy from jumping on me and biting when we're walking on a leach.

Usually it will start with her biting and playing tug-a-war with the leach but she'll sometimes just start right away by jumping up and biting me.

How do I correct this? I'm currently trying to ignore it by turning away and stopping until she stops but it doesn't seem to be having any effect. In fact today it just kept on getting worse and she starting biting harder and harder with jump and bite sessions getting more and more frequent on the same walk.

Any ideas?
Cero21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 12:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Jumping and biting when leach walking

Has she always done this? How often do you walk her and for how long? What other kind of excercise and activity does she get besides her walks?
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2008, 12:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How brisk are your walks? It sounds like she has a lot of energy and needs an outlet. Or she is fearful and jumps up on you and nips at you saying "hey protect me." I have not had mine nip me, but they will crawl up my back. They will jump on me in fun and especially if I pet them when they are up.

However if I give them a stiff "heel" command, and walk briskly, I do not give them the opportunity to jump up. If I have to stop I give them a sit or a down command. I guess I tell them what I want them TO DO and praise them for doing it. It is easier than telling them what they did wrong and correcting them for it.

Another issue is that my dogs have more energy than I do. I conceed that this is the truth. So, when I walk them, I give them obstacles while I walk along. I have them walk along a short wall (like a dog walk), I have taught Jenna to run up the steps in the business district in town and check the doors. This means she is working a heck of a lot harder than me. Perfect heeling is only required some of the time, when there are other walkers, when there is a street to cross. Otherwise they are allowed to sniff and check things out so long as I am not being dragged.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2008, 08:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What do you do for physical exercise besides walks? How about mental exercise? Training is the MOST important exercise one can give a dog, especially a pup. A short, fun obedience session where the rewards are good games of tug or fetch will wear out your pup enough that you should be able to have a pleasant walk. Walking with my dog, Renji, is a pain until we hit the park and blow out his energy with long games of fetch, then he walks quite well.

7 months of age is also the PERFECT time to enroll in obedience classes! If you're already enrolled, great! If you've had one class already, keep on going. Classes are like potato chips- one is almost never enough.

Training @ The Canine Center - St Cloud, FL
"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
DianaM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Sounds like a fun game to me and better than a slow boring walk for a happy and excited dog!

Have you tried starting out on the walk going MUCH faster initially? New game of, you have to be so busy keeping up there is no time to grab the leash?

How are the general dog classes going? Does she do this in class?

Are you able to socialize and do the weekly car rides, meet and greets, new sites, new sounds, new people, new dogs??? Mental and physical stimulation, along with the learning we owners/handlers get in the dogs classes, work best for me.

Ask your dog class instructor for their suggestions. They should know you and your dog by now and have specific help.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2008, 08:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions.

Pebbles and I ran every second day, as well as play lots of the ''find it'' game (which she is very good at!).

After reading through all your suggestions I figured out that I should work her a little bit before we go walking, like a good game of tug o war and stuff like that. I think she is so used to high energy games that walking is boring for her. Unfortunately, I don't want to run with her everyday because I don't want to wear out her growing body (we usually run around 10 km when we do).

I also found that when he run around in the backyard, if I give her her rope and chase her/let her chase me, she won't jump up on me and try to bite. I don't know if this will correct anything later when we run around without the rope in her mouth but it definately work for now and it keeps her active.

I haven't enrolled in any classes yet because lately at work I'm away from her for weeks at a time I hope to soon though.

Again, thanks for your suggestions.
Cero21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.