German Shepherds Forum banner

is it a sign of aggresion or dominance?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  SunCzarina 
#1 ·
Hi there,

Quick question. My 1 year old male when playing with the kids I have noticed whenever he plays chase he goes for the sleeves ( still winter in B.C, Canada
) and pulls but usually lets go right away as well. I have thought that its a herding type of behaviour, but could be wrong. This type of behaviour only happens when my kids play catch/chase with him.

Thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
Originally Posted By: Hannah_Not to distract from the OP's question, but if I try to run with Dacota, and if she isn't on a leash, sometimes she bumps my legs with her head. Is this also a herding behavior, or is it something else?
Keeta does that, it is herding behaviour. (she is usually herding me towards the door when we are getting ready to go out
).

#5 ·
Herding?

For me, it's the main way my dog's know how to play, from only weeks old with their littermates until they are old and grey. My dogs love to use their mouths and TUG! Because I've found their discretion and ability to grab sleeves vs. skin is fairly poor, I use a toy to save flesh, but none of this is 'aggression'. It's play!

Watch a bunch of dogs running and chasing after each other, they will grab and bite at each other during the game. ANY breed from Bassett Hound to Labrador Retriever, so I don't see it as herding when it's part of the play and chase game.

I completely discourage my dogs mouths on me cause it can hurt, but I TEACH them to instead grab one of the many toys all over the place so they bring that when they want to join in a play.

#7 ·
I am with MaggieRoseLee on this one. My dogs have all played tug with lots of growling that has scared off a couple of would-be playmates.
So what is it when they bring their toys over and bump you in the legs to get you to play? That can't be herding, but it isn't search or tracking either so where did that come from?

#8 ·
But chasing a running being, grabbing a thick part of the body (sleeve) gently, then letting it go kind of reminds me of a GSD running after stubborn sheep and gripping to get them under control. That's the only reason I say herding! Could very well be playtime too, but playtime is based on instinctual behaviors for many animals (lions will play stalk and chase games because they have to survive on stalking and chasing).

If the dog does for a herding instinct test and shows none whatsoever, then I completely retract my suggestion.

#9 ·
Herding or playing tag, I still haven't decided but Morgan does that with my kids. If they're running and laughing, she'll grab a bit of sleeve just to join in on the fun. In the winter when my son is playing in the snow, she steals his gloves to try to entice him to play with her. Mostly she does it to my oldest son becuase he's her favorite of my 3 kids.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.