Adult Dog Purchase - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Adult Dog Purchase

I am considering an 18 month old AKC German Shepherd. I am also considering him for my 4 1/2 old son. Is it smart, to first, purchase an 18 month old Shepherd? Also is this the right dog for my son? I owned one when I was in my pre-teens and it was the greatest dog I've owned...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:55 PM

So the gsd is going to be your 4.5 year old sons?? That doesn't make sense to me
I would rather get a pup and raise/train it to suite your lifestyle. How do you even know you can trust this adult gsd around your child??
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

That's kind of the way I was thinking. Thanks...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:05 PM

Yeah this whole for your 4.5 year old son worries me. Is he going to walk it and feed it? Because GSDs are notorious for pulling and that won't end well. I mean I hope you plan on taking care of it too.

Lobo-2 Year Old German Shepherd Mix(?)
Follow him on Instagram for your dose of adorableness @lobo_ramos15 (Family Friendly)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:47 PM
Crowned Member

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you mean you are considering getting this dog as a 'family' dog. You want the dog to be companionable to your 4 year old child, but the dog will be trained and cared for by you.

That said, the person who currently owns the dog should be able to give you insight into the dog. Has the dog been socialized? Has the dog interacted with children and does the dog like children. Likewise, has your son been around dogs? Does your son understand proper behavior around dogs and will you ensure that your son is respectful to the dog? EX: Dogs are not horses. They are not for riding. They are not jungle gyms for climbing on, etc.

If the dog has been exposed to kids and your child knows how to interact with dogs, I see no problem bringing an 18 month old GSD into the home. I brought in a 2 year old GSD, when my son was 2. It was a match made in Heaven.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:51 PM
Knighted Member

It depends on the dog. It cam be a good family dog or not. Depending on temperament, socialization and training. If the dog is from a rescue, be very careful and make sure they know what they are doing. Rescue groups can be excellent or not very good.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:11 PM
Crowned Member

Hi racehorse and WELCOME!

Yes, I too am guessing that you meant a "companion" to your 4 1/2 year old son?

Raised our girl from a pup with our Grandson and the bond they have is indescribable! She loves him more than me! LOL They are now 10 1/2 (our female) and Grandson is 12. She cannot even sleep when he is staying with us...just wants to watch his room in case he comes out!
So I would vote for a pup but sometimes you can find a suitable adult. I would want to make sure that the dog had been raised with small children, in the same house.

The MAIN thing is that you purchase a pup or dog from a breeding line that has "Balanced Temperament" for your family.
"Temperament is a function of genetics. It is inherited, not developed. A dog's core temperament never changes." Temperament - German Shepherd Guide

If you post a pedigree, there are very knowledgeable folks on here that can tell you what the Sire & Dam will bring to the table, so to speak, and what you can expect from a breeding.

research, Research, RESEARCH ...... BEFORE you purchase!

A little more info from you will help the people here help you!

*What activities or sports do you plan on doing with him/her.

*What type of lifestyle do you have that will include the dog?

*Tell a little about yourself/your family!

*What is your price range? (usual is $1,600 to $3,000)

*What state are you in and how far are you willing to travel (hours)?

*Are you willing to have a pup/dog shipped?

Here are some good reading materials!
(German Shepherd and Schutzhund Articles, by Wildhaus Kennels )

Things to look for in a 'Responsible' Breeder

Take your time choosing a REPUTABLE breeder and Good luck in your search!

Moms
Traveler's Mom likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:26 PM
Crowned Member

My questions to you. Does your son respect you as a parent, does he listen to you and follow instructions readily? If yes on all these, then I would say, get a pup. You never know the triggers in an adult and especially this adolescent.
Lately (last 10 years) I have been horrified about the way many kids are raised whose parents only goal is to be their kids' friend. Take it from an experienced mom and elementary teacher. If they get a GSD pup, it will be a disaster.
astrovan2487 likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:04 PM
Crowned Member

Honestly though, my most current 'high content' GSD mix was adopted from a shelter at 8 weeks old. My kids are all young adults. My 'baby' just finished his first year of college. Shelby has never been around children. We had my niece and nephews come to our home for a week. Shelby wasn't yet 2. I had no idea how she would react. She adored the kids. In typical GSD style, she wanted the children to all stay together and fretted a little, when one left the room. They slept in sleeping bags. Shelby plopped down smack in the middle of them and was the happiest dog in the world. I mean sometimes, it is just a matter of the dog loves kids, or it doesn't.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:43 PM
Knighted Member

If you decide to bring this dog home, use caution and restraint. I would not allow them to be alone together or to flood this dog with company, and new experiences. Keep life quiet and allow him to settle in. Many people recommend the 2 week shutdown. You can search on the forum for details. Good luck, I have a 5 year granddaughter who is inseparable from our two Shepherds.
astrovan2487 likes this.

Karen
Tessa ~ GSD ~ 06-08-2011
Della ~ GSD ~ 03-17-2014
Daisy ~Yorkie ~ 2007

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page