German Shepherds Forum banner

How do you know if you are ready for a second dog?

943 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  ausdland 
#1 ·
I adopted my last GSD from a rescue almost a year ago and she has come leaps and bounds since then. She still harbors some leash reactivity (She was doing really well, but since some people in my area let their dogs run off leash or just don't have a good hold on them, I've had my dog get charged and bit by 3 dogs the past few months...), and nervous behavior around strangers who get in her bubble, but overall is now a functional loving dog. I have fostered and have dog sat (with a puppy and adults), so I know that with proper introduction my dog will get along with most dogs. My boyfriend and I currently have no children and want another dog, and I have my heart set on a puppy so that I can fully ensure that he gets the proper socialization with all sorts of people, situations and animals.
I realize that puppies are a lot of work and money, and financially and mentally I am ready, but my concern is that the puppy will learn nervous/fear aggressive behavior from my bitch. Has anyone been in this situation before? Is a puppy the right choice or is it too early?

#3 ·
I have a female rescue and got a male puppy. He bothered her some at first but now they are best friends. Since your dog is a bit reactive, get a male. Yes, she can teach a puppy bad behaviors but it's your job to make sure it doesn't happen. Work with a trainer from the beginning so you can get hands on advice on what to do and it should be fine, if you have time and space for a puppy. The cost of a puppy doesn't bother me. I got a free dog and spent far more on health and training than a puppy from a good breeder would have cost.

#4 ·
Totally aware that this is going to sound super creepy - but your girl has come a long way from the sound of it. I'm told you've done an absolutely amazing job with her. I think you should really consider going ahead if this is what you want and if you feel ready.

Talk to the trainers and ask questions. Amber has had experience adding puppies to her fold and while her older dogs had great temperaments, she might have tips. Ron is great for troubleshooting. If nothing else, you know you have resources to support you.

#5 ·
You will always be able to find a reason not to get a puppy. So if you think you're ready just do it. I would spend the cash and go through a reputable proven breeder. Someone who knows their lines and what they produce. Explain to them your concerns and trust them to choose the right pup or pups to choose from. There will probably be a waiting list so the sooner you decide the quicker you will have a pup.

#6 ·
OP is local to me. Luckily there is a very strong club full of breeders in this area, with breed-specific training support. Finding a good puppy from a solid, reputable breeder isn't going to be an issue for her at all if she chooses to go that route. I think both local breed rescues also have pups from time to time. She will not have a shortage of options.

#9 ·
I have found myself in the position of wondering if I could/should get another dog - many times! If you are young, healthy, and have the time and energy and finances to do it.... It depends alot on your individual situation - are you home, or gone all day, etc. At one point in my life, I had 10 dogs, five cats, five biotope-correct fish tanks, and three tortoises! Yup. Plus I worked two jobs, went back to school, raised six children, four of whom were adopted. I guess I did everything to excess. Now, as a retired RN, I am happy with two dogs and two rescue kittens. And my elderly grumpy unbalanced french bulldog, until he goes to the Bridge. My philosophy is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"! But in my younger days, I would always choose to get another dog. So, as I said, it depends on your situation. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.