German Shepherds Forum banner

Whining from crate in the mornings

727 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Cassidy's Mom 
#1 ·
My gf and I have a 5 year old that we adopted almost a year ago from a shelter. He's come a long way in a little time, and is overall a very good dog. We crate him overnight because he has a very bad habit of trying to eat and and everything he can (including several socks that has caused a blockage in him before) so its just better to crate him. I feed him and my lab every morning at the same time. The problem is, as soon as I step out of the bed, he begins to bark and whine very loudly, as well as run around in his crate. If my gf gets up, he doesn't make a sound. Very cheeky little dog. My girlfriend is a very light sleeper and his shrilling bark makes her anxious and in turn cant return to sleep.

Any suggestions on what I can do to keep him from barking loudly like this? I can't even use the restroom in the middle of the night without him waking the neighborhood up.
Thanks

#2 ·
I'm guessing he knows that you feed him and she doesn't, so her getting up isn't consequential, while you getting up predicts that good things may happen. How about she feeds them for awhile?

On work days I get up earlier than my husband, on non-work days I sleep in and he gets up earlier. The dogs will stay quietly in their crates until as late as 8:00 - 9:00 AM even with my husband up and moving around the house. But on work days they both start whining the second I turn off the blow dryer, because they know I take a shower, dry my hair, and then take them out to potty and feed them breakfast. They're whining in anticipation of food! But my husband doesn't feed them, so they don't care if he gets up first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.