German Shepherds Forum banner

Excitement piddle

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  LP08SS 
#1 ·
Hey guys, my year and a half Shepherd seems to still have this weird problem with peeing when company comes over its weird because she doesn't seem to do it when only like 1 or 2 people stop by but when large groups show up at once and I've also noticed it's only when a man touches her. Other than this it never happens she doesn't have accidents in the house ever! Am i correct in thinking it's just a reaction to being overwhelmed? Any suggestions are welcome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

#2 ·
My dad has a dog who seems to pee as an act of submission. When he meets new people and new dogs, he almost always pees a very small amount. He's about 2.5 years old. To my knowledge, neither of my parents have attempted to train him out of it. He's also usually pretty excited when it happens, but when we get him otherwise excited, he doesn't pee. Since your dog does it specifically when men pet her, maybe this is what's happening?

#3 ·
Yes, it does sound like it is excitement urination. I think you have assessed the situation correctly.

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about it. Since she is still only 1 and 1/2, she may outgrow it as she matures. Otherwise you can manage her environment to prevent over-excitement. Maybe have her meet people outside, keep her separate from company when lots of people are over, or crate her.

#4 ·
If the dogs posture is submissive also when men approach then I would say submissive urination vs excitement urination. Excitement normally under a year.
If it is submissive, and you've ruled out any medical issues, then I would ask people to actually ignore the dog when they come in...no talking, no going up to her and def, no eye contact. Then you, whom she never does this with, reward her during times of confident behavior/posture. Just before people come over take her out to relieve herself and let them know to fully ignore her when they come over. After she sees all is good she may choose to go up to a person but even then the greeting should be very low key. Whether people are over or not avoid any harsh corrections with her...use motivation/praise as often as possible when teaching or doing OB and always when she is in a confident state.
Good luck with her.

#5 ·
Glad to hear these replies I've actually already been working with the crate techniques to help with excitement and jumping when company arrives, and so far it works I wait until she quiets down and knows everyone is in and then I let her out she's still glad to see everyone but she doesn't jump nearly as much as she originally did! But this time for some reason I didn't do it that way couldn't tell you why it just happened this way, as we were setting things up for company I let her out both so she could relieve herself and so we weren't tripping on her lol, well people showed up and once everyone was in i ended up eating her back in, so idk if it was a sudden stimulation situation where maybe I should have put her in the crate so she could SEE everyone coming in vs having no people in the house to a full house all within the time span of a bathroom break for her?! Figured I'd share the exact situation so maybe you guys can pick it apart more. Because maybe this was partly my fault!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.