always whining - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member
 
cdwoodcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,638
always whining

Athena whines all the time. I was hoping she would have out grown this by now but nope. She whines whenever she is playing tug and you with hold the tug, Whenever you sweep, mop, basically anything where there is movement, If she thinks she has a chance to get to the cat she whines. At club with the decoy she whines.

I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
cdwoodcox is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:43 PM
Elite Member
 
Thecowboysgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,916
If I had it to do over again, I would have done everything and anything in my power to shut this down when my girl was young. She has become a habitual screamer---earsplitting version of exactly what you showed in video.

If I run the hose, if I run the showerhead (for her, not when I take a shower), snow shoveling, if she sees a ball, often when I am training her she shrieks like this, even if I am only using food and not toys

I have actually left the swimming hole with her because a family showed up and I know no one could enjoy the swimming hole with her there screaming her you know what fool head off.

With mine it didn't seem like that big of a deal when she was young. She was working a lot and was always super quiet when working.

But it is still a MAJOR hassle to this day, and she is ten
Thecowboysgirl is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member
 
cdwoodcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
If I had it to do over again, I would have done everything and anything in my power to shut this down when my girl was young. She has become a habitual screamer---earsplitting version of exactly what you showed in video.

If I run the hose, if I run the showerhead (for her, not when I take a shower), snow shoveling, if she sees a ball, often when I am training her she shrieks like this, even if I am only using food and not toys

I have actually left the swimming hole with her because a family showed up and I know no one could enjoy the swimming hole with her there screaming her you know what fool head off.

With mine it didn't seem like that big of a deal when she was young. She was working a lot and was always super quiet when working.

But it is still a MAJOR hassle to this day, and she is ten
The helper at club last week was trying to get her to shut up and bark instead of whine. She just screams like this. Your right it does get annoying. So what do you think you could have done to stop this with your girl when she was younger. I am trying to think of ways to shut her down without killing any drives. And I'm not worried about club. I think the decoy will be able to teach her to bark him in. Just in general life.

I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
cdwoodcox is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Nurse Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 362
How old is Athena? My one year old just started being vocal with whines and grumbles. Not excessive but it is a new thing. She may grumble a little when told to do something. She whines while chewing a favorite toy. She is more alert about things going on outside. I think because she is now a teenager. Does Athena know the Enough or Quiet command?
Nurse Bishop is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:06 PM
Elite Member
 
Thecowboysgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,916
Honestly I am probably not the best person to answer this question....because I have a senior dog who still does this lol.

I would definitely have punished her for the hose/shovel ect attacking and screaming if I were raising her from a pup now. I would have NEVER kicked snow for her to play with when she was a year old! For whatever reason, she does not do this with brooms or vacuums so thank god for that..probably because she has always had strict rules about what type of play is not tolerated inside, and we just unequivocally don't do adrenaline play indoors

She is such a psycho I literally have to bathe her in a muzzle. There is not a mean bone in her body but she goes straight to biting the water with such force and intensity she pays absolutely no attention to where my hands are and has bitten me by accident before. And you could probably hit her with a 2x4 when she is in the zone and she wouldn't feel it. The only thing she respects when she goes there in her head is the e collar, so there might be some application there but I do believe there are some possible pitfalls using the e collar when a dog is in this adrenalized state.

My young dog whines, but not this kind of whine, and he is very receptive to corrections. I have corrected him with a sliplead and I have corrected him with a verbal correction, but with him it's more like a standing around and I'm bored/excited/whatever and he starts kinda singing. I am making good progress with him on everything except when he whines WHILE performing an obedience command. I have him front, tell him to finish left and he will often whine under his breath while he does it. Now if he did a lovely finish left and I praise it, I've also just praised the whining. But I'm not even sure this is applicable because the way he does it is so different than her. For instance, when I use toys with him he is totally silent, where she starts screaming the first glimpse she gets of the toy. so for him I started focusing on what was easy to isolate: when he whines during stationary position, I can correct it and it is clear what it is, and he stops whining so he gets it.

As for screaming during drivey work/training...I honestly don't know how to stop that. I WISH I did. Are there any quiet times you can isolate and reward when she is working, or she carries on constantly?

Last edited by Thecowboysgirl; 03-18-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Thecowboysgirl is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:12 PM
Elite Member
 
eddie1976E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,530
There is nothing I dislike about the breed in general except this whining and screaming. I freaking HATE it and hate my dog when he gets like this. Not sure how you would put an end to it. I have tried ecollar, bark collar, you name it. It doesn't work. I think it came along with breeding working dogs who didn't live at home with the breeders. It wasn't seen as a defect and continued to be passed down. I will not own another dog from the same lines that Remi came from. And, my wife refuses to get another GSD anyway.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddie1976E is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:14 PM
Elite Member
 
Thecowboysgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,916
Another thing if I could start over, I would never have played with her with the hose. I would have stiffly punished hose chasing/biting/water chasing/biting. Because at this point she is basically uncontrollable about it, hence muzzle for baths, it's like a neurosis, like a dog who has played with a laser pointer, at this point. The amount of force I would have to use against her to stop her now is just not something I am willing to do. So I put her away if I need to use the hose, and I muzzle her for baths. I guess my theory is if I had seen where this was going and shut it down when it wasn't so ingrained and taught her to control herself and not let her self reward with it, it might have turned out differently

Everyone, including me, thought it was no big deal when she was young.

I took her to a seminar that was held on a horse farm last year. While I was walking her, she scampered off and located the nearest hose and sat there waiting for me, begging me to turn it on for her. Sigh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161026_172633.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	412809  
cdwoodcox likes this.

Last edited by Thecowboysgirl; 03-18-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Thecowboysgirl is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member
 
cdwoodcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
How old is Athena? My one year old just started being vocal with whines and grumbles. Not excessive but it is a new thing. She may grumble a little when told to do something. She whines while chewing a favorite toy. She is more alert about things going on outside. I think because she is now a teenager. Does Athena know the Enough or Quiet command?
Athena is 11 months old. She has done the whining thing since I picked her up at 8 weeks. The more the prey drive goes up the more the whining/screaming. That is why I don't know how to stop the screaming without killing drives.
I'm sure we'll work on her barking the helper in tomorrow. Last week we started working on that. But at home it's a little different.

I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
cdwoodcox is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:27 PM
Elite Member
 
Thecowboysgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1976E View Post
There is nothing I dislike about the breed in general except this whining and screaming. I freaking HATE it and hate my dog when he gets like this. Not sure how you would put an end to it. I have tried ecollar, bark collar, you name it. It doesn't work. I think it came along with breeding working dogs who didn't live at home with the breeders. It wasn't seen as a defect and continued to be passed down. I will not own another dog from the same lines that Remi came from. And, my wife refuses to get another GSD anyway.
It's probably the thing I like least about my girl too, and it definitely also factored into our decision not to get a working line dog this time around. she can be SO exasperating. Maybe, quite possible, there is something I should have done when she was younger to manage her better and prevent this from being such a problem. But I didn't and here we are.
Thecowboysgirl is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 02:29 PM
Elite Member
 
Thecowboysgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
Athena is 11 months old. She has done the whining thing since I picked her up at 8 weeks. The more the prey drive goes up the more the whining/screaming. That is why I don't know how to stop the screaming without killing drives.
I'm sure we'll work on her barking the helper in tomorrow. Last week we started working on that. But at home it's a little different.
People at your club are probably your best resource for what to do about it. But please share what you learn LOL!!!
cdwoodcox likes this.
Thecowboysgirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome