German Shepherds Forum banner

Female German Shepard

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Magwart 
#1 ·
Hi! Guys I have a female German Shepard who is about 10 months old.
She has been really bad lately jumping my fence getting out of three hardness in one month.
She is aggressive towards other people and she does not listen to anyone. She pretty much does and she please.
I know that she is in heat she is alway getting on top of the pug who is a female puts her butt on his face.
What should I do to get her to calm down besides getting neutered???HELP!!!!

#2 ·
Prevent your pup from jumping the fence, by not leaving her outside alone. If she is truly aggressive to people and you are allowing her to escape, that is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Get her spayed. Some people keep their bitches intact longer and do a great job of preventing them from having an oops litter. If your dog is in heat and escaping the yard, you are not in a position to keep her from getting pregnant - so spay her.

You need to really up your obedience with her. Dogs do not train themselves. Enroll her in classes and get to work.

#3 ·
Keep her in the house.

Obedience training.

Crate training.

There is no magic to it. GSDs are meant to be our close companions, not yard dogs. They need plenty of training. As for the aggression, that may well be fear based, we can't know from here. That requires firm control with solid obedience and possibly a muzzle if she's trying to bite people.

#5 ·
There is not really one thing you can do to magically fix your GSDs problems, since you seem to list a few different ones.
Try to break your problems down into little pieces.

- Jumping
Start by ignoring her when she shows this kind of behaviour, no eye contact, no speaking and no touching. There are loads of videos on this topic on youtube.

- Aggression
Is it really aggression or has she taken over the leadership role in your family and she does whatever she wants? Try to reclaim your position as leader.

- In heat
I must say I'm not in a place to comment because I just dont know about female behaviour in dogs.

All in all I think your dog shows signs of lacking excersice.
Try to excersice her up to the point where she becomes docile and lead her from then on.

There is way too much info regarding the problems that you face already available online to desire it to be helped in a comment.

Explore the web!

#6 ·
If you aren't going to breed her, I suggest you spay when she is full grown. When my gal was in heat her mood changed. It seemed like she got doggie PMS. She spent time in her crate and walks were on leash. I had her wearing dog bloomers with pads to catch the mess. I have an intact male so I had to keep a barrier between them at all times, even with my she-pup wearing bloomers.

#7 · (Edited)
If you can't keep her inside and contained, I would urge you to please consider spaying her. You will otherwise end up with a litter of unwanted puppies, and quite possibly lots of expensive vet bills (for the mother AND puppies)....plus the aggravation of finding good homes for a bunch of mixed-breed puppies. Many cities and counties have low-cost or even free spay/neuter programs.

If she can jump the fence to get out, random neighborhood dogs can also jump it to get in -- and the scent of an in-heat female will attract every Fido, Rover, and Spot for miles around.

She's not being bad. She's being a dog. She wants to be inside with you, and share your time and attention....without that, why wouldn't a bored dog try to go roam? As she's people aggressive according to your post, keeping her safely contained is a matter of life and death for her -- if she bites a child, she'll likely be impounded and taken to the "dog pound", you'll be fined (and maybe sued), and you may get an order declaring her to be dangerous and/or vicious (which could result in euthanasia or very restrictive rules about keeping her). Management of her is not only critical for keeping neighbors safe, but for keeping her out of "jail." View this as your job going forward.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.