• 2 Post By Nigel
  • 1 Post By sebrench
  • 1 Post By Fodder
  • 1 Post By onyx'girl
  • 1 Post By MineAreWorkingline

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Second male gsd in house

Hello everyone , do any of you guys/girls have to male gsd in your house?Are they having fights?Should i even think of getting a second male or will my life and the dogs lives become difficult?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:35 AM
Crowned Member

My males started fighting, but I've had other males together who did not. Adding a female would be better odds at getting along.
sebrench and jaspar like this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:52 AM

I have two males. They sometimes have issues, though we are making it work. Other people don't have any problems at all. A lot depends on the individual dogs. I would recommend getting opposite sexes if at all possible.
jaspar likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:59 AM
Crowned Member

I introduced a confident 7mo to an insecure 7yr old.... one fight and one close call within the first two weeks. Absolutely nothing since...harmonious house! They're now 10 and 4.

That said... if you're asking and if you're open, go with a girl.
jaspar likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 61lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Dark Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 57lbs of Go!!!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:05 AM
Crowned Member

I have two intact males and one spayed female(use to be two spayed females). As the younger male has matured, I have to really manage the older male so he isn't constantly dominating the younger dog. I train in IPO and do not want the younger one influenced by my other male(though he is because he won't lift leg with Karlo around) They are both around bitches in heat often at training, and that plays into the dynamics. Younger male submits but is not a mush. He has great confidence and manners when it comes to the other dog.
That said, If I only had one dog, and wanted to add to my pack, I'd go opposite sex.
I had two females for awhile and they were harder to manage than the two males. If you end up with two dominant dogs, there will be blood shed.
jaspar likes this.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:15 AM

@onyx'girl What if the 2 dominant dogs are opposite sexes?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:43 AM
Crowned Member

I think a lot depends on the dominance of the two dogs.

If the younger dog is more dominant, you can still have peace if you assist with the transition of the younger dog to the top position despite your heart wanting the older male to be the top dog.

Even if two male dogs do get along, if you would have to neuter the older male for health reasons, that could rock the boat too.

You might also have problems between the two males if somebody has an intact female in neighborhood when she comes into heat.

Is your current male neutered?
jaspar likes this.

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.

Thomas Jefferson
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
I think a lot depends on the dominance of the two dogs.

If the younger dog is more dominant, you can still have peace if you assist with the transition of the younger dog to the top position despite your heart wanting the older male to be the top dog.

Even if two male dogs do get along, if you would have to neuter the older male for health reasons, that could rock the boat too.

You might also have problems between the two males if somebody has an intact female in neighborhood when she comes into heat.

Is your current male neutered?
I havent neutered him , nor do i plan to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page