Leash Aggression? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By dogma13

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Leash Aggression?

Hey!

I have a 2 year old male GSD and he is neutered. He's very friendly with dogs and people. However, when we go on walks outside, he seems to be becoming leash reactive to dogs! not if they are walking behind us, but if they are coming toward us. He will let out a small growl or bark and try to lunge but I have him under extreme control. I will correct this behavior with a choke chain.

If I make him sit and watch the other dogs go by he's fine, or if we walk up to the other and see them he's fine!

How can you fix this? I've tried treats, seen a trainer, and redirected his attention but for some reason he has trouble letting them walk by us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:12 AM
Crowned Member

If having him sit is working,there's your solution.If what you want is to keep moving without stopping and sitting, correct him BEFORE the growl/lunge.As soon as he sees the dog and it's obvious he's going to react,leash pop,"look at me",and keep going.No reward until he's relaxed and focused back on you.The timing of rewards and corrections is critical.
Deb, LuvShepherds and Rocky18! like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Devo Yorkie Mix
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:25 AM
Deb
Elite Member

Is it leash aggression or leash frustration, he wants to go play with the dog? You said off leash he is friendly with and likes other dogs?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
Is it leash aggression or leash frustration, he wants to go play with the dog? You said off leash he is friendly with and likes other dogs?
I would consider it more, leash frustration I guess. It's like he gets angry if I don't let him stop and see the dog!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page