2 year old male GSD don't like puppies? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

2 year old male GSD don't like puppies?

Hi all!

I have a 2 year old, NEUTERED male GSD. He's amazing off leash, very people friendly and dog friendly.

We often go to the dog park and he's usually really good! we do this for socialization (have done this since 4 months old). However, he seems to really not be a fan of puppies! Why is this? Is it because of the way puppies jump in their faces or something? What can I do to help it?

I'm really worried as I am adding another GSD puppy to the family this coming Fall/Winter.

I have a couple of friends with GSD's that come visit our home often and he's perfect! no issues!

Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:56 AM
Crowned Member

If I were a puppy owner and go to a park where there is a GSD "who doesn't like puppies", I would not be happy. I am interested in his behavior towards puppies. Through what age do you consider them puppies? Some people call annoying adolescents still 'puppies'. Most adult dogs hate them and will put them in place. How do you manage him? Is he able to snarl at them, lunge at them? If so it can make any young dog dog-aggressive.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:19 AM

My Gsd hates small jumping puppies!I have no idea why,but he really wants nothing to do with them.Small adult dogs he's fine with

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:22 AM
Deb
Knighted Member

What exactly does he do when the puppies come over to him? Or does he go over to them? Does he correct them for jumping on him? People would need more information on what exactly does he do.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

I'm considering this 'Puppy" to be 4-6 months old that should be in the small dog park. I would never bring him in if there is a puppy and I couldn't control him. He does not bark and growl or lunge at these puppies. What happen is that these puppies run straight for him and try licking/nipping his face, he will just bark or life his lip to show teeth. That's when I yell and he comes back. He don't bite or anything, he just doesn't favour puppies.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky18! View Post
I'm considering this 'Puppy" to be 4-6 months old that should be in the small dog park. I would never bring him in if there is a puppy and I couldn't control him. He does not bark and growl or lunge at these puppies. What happen is that these puppies run straight for him and try licking/nipping his face, he will just bark or life his lip to show teeth. That's when I yell and he comes back. He don't bite or anything, he just doesn't favour puppies.
I think he is fine, when I took my pup to dog park, there are adults who don't like her and my pup does not seem to get upset at all from their warnings to leave them alone. The only time she got scared was when an off leash GSD chased her while barking without my pup doing anything (and the owner can't call their dog back), as long as your dog does not do that, I think he is fine.
Rocky18! likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

interesting! have you ever introduced a new puppy in your home? I personally think that he will get used to it after a week or so.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

I believe he's basically putting them in their place. He will never go looking for them, it seems to be when they are chasing him and jumping in his face. I'll see his lips raise as a snarl and he may pin them but walks away after that.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 02:01 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

The puppy is acting like a puppy and your dog is telling him to knock it off. It will be your job when you get the new puppy to not allow it to harass your older dog. It will just take time and patience.
Rocky18! likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 05:43 PM

I would not worry too much about it. I have a 2.5 year old GSD who tends to be the same way. He's great with adult dogs and has been exposed to tons of dogs and people since he was a couple of months old. However, he will sometimes do a low growl if a puppy comes up to him. I almost think it's because when he was a puppy he was treated that way by some older dogs who wanted nothing to do with him.

As far as introducing a new puppy - I also have a 8 month old GSD puppy that I brought home when she was 8 weeks old. For the first week my older guy was less than enthusiastic about the puppy and would do the same low growls when she came near. I just introduced the two of them very slowly over the course of 7-10 days. Eventually my older guy seemed to accept that the puppy was part of our pack and wasn't going anywhere. They are now total buds. The puppy absolutely adores him, and he is extremely tolerant of the puppy's behavior. I do think it helps that the older one is male and the puppy female.
Rocky18! likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page